The Non-Essendon Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone who eats up pre-mature hype always does. It's why they're the most neutral-viewed team by these very same people.

Of course, crunch time rears it's ugly head and they get a well deserved reality check.

But they never learn... because, neutral.

Telling it like it is without the sugar coating doesn't make you a lot of friends I guess. :p:cool:

diddley

Everyone who eats up pre-mature hype always does. It's why they're the most neutral-viewed team by these very same people.

Of course, crunch time rears it's ugly head and they get a well deserved reality check.

But they never learn... because, neutral.

Telling it like it is without the sugar coating doesn't make you a lot of friends I guess. :p:cool:

diddley

That's nice of you to accuse me of "eating up premature hype".

Despite my constant criticism of the media and general cynicism of BigFooty hype.

Thead number V please.

V for victory!

victorya.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've made 13 of the last 16 finals series (soon to be 14 of the last 17), which is two more than any other club (Geelong being second).

They haven't often been absolute world beaters in that time, but they sure have been consistent and hard to beat. They must have been doing something right.

sydney's forward line is still horrible, but the midfield and defence are very good. they're a good team. I would have thought a) making the 2nd week of the finals last year and b) being in the top 4 at r13 was proof of that. great? probably not. but they're good.

Think CAC's argument has some validity - Sydney are well positioned - But they can't survive playing footy like the last 2 weeks.

They have conceded 137, I50 entries in the last 2 weeks - 68.5 per week - They need a massive improvement in this area or they will struggle to win many games.

Again we saw the failure of a coach to make full use of the SUB.

Geelong were well down at half time - Getting killed on the outside, carrying 2 rucks who had little impact - Christensen should have been subbed on at half time, not halfway through the third quarter - It may have made the difference.

That I50 stat for the two week period is misleading since we made up for the majority of the number in our game vs them. It's also the quality of I50s that matter, if you're constantly getting teams to panick and stagnate with their movement giving them no option but to bomb long into -EV I50 situations it really doesn't matter how many you get in there if the type of ball your getting in there leads you to get flogged the other way quickly.

That I50 stat for the two week period is misleading since we made up for the majority of the number in our game vs them. It's also the quality of I50s that matter, if you're constantly getting teams to panick and stagnate with their movement giving them no option but to bomb long into -EV I50 situations it really doesn't matter how many you get in there if the type of ball your getting in there leads you to get flogged the other way quickly.
What I noticed last night particularly was how well they're setting up.

Their pressure in their forward half is unrelenting, pressuring sides to kick it long to a contest, only Sydney then have an extra man or two on goalside of the opposite end, meaning they're easily mopping up.

For clubs to counter it, they're going to have to work their way out of it, IMO, like Hawthorn do when they're on, or like we were doing for the first 8 or 9 rounds. Quick handballs to space, hit up shorter targets, work it out of there, then counter punch.

Neeld should maintain radio silence. That's his biggest problem in terms of perceptions of him and the pressure on him... it's the pure and utter s**t he talks.

As for this round... eh... feel pretty good about all my tips, which are the home sides, apart from Adelaide over North. Think North are a sneaky chance, but I don't know where this feeling comes from. Maybe I just think the Crows are still a bit suss.

i promised myself that i would tip gws over dees a few weeks back. i kept the promise #wecandoit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back