Oppo Camp The Non-Essendon Thread VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

We also have about a dozen players in their first or second year and who would be on minimum wage (DVU, Kommer) which takes a lot of pressure off the cap. If we manipulate it right (back-load the contract) we could afford him, but I think it's highly unlikely. Shame too, the guy's a gun

I really rate him highly. Most Essendon fans will after he kicked that bag against us. We don't really need him though. We have a solid base to attack for a flag in the next few years and there is no point having salary cap issues where we struggle to keep our players around.

We don't need him? He's the best small forward in the AFL by a fair margin, would replace Davey and we'd be laughing.
He would be great for us but yes we don't need him. As good a player that he is we would need to pay a lot to get him and wouldn't be worth putting a strain on our salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be great for us.

In other news, Peter Jackson looks to be Melbourne's news CEO. That's not going to help their on field prospects at all. They may turn out a profit though.

So can Melbourne supporters expect to win a premiership every 7 years whilst spending less on their football department than their rivals? Apparently that's what footy clubs can do.

Would be great for us.

In other news, Peter Jackson looks to be Melbourne's news CEO. That's not going to help their on field prospects at all. They may turn out a profit though.

If there is one thing people talk about us missing it's a quality small forward. He would be an incredible get. However somewhat unrealistic I think.

Melb have been profiting the last few years I believe? They are shocking but if I remember correctly off field finance hasn't been too much of an issue. I mean they got rid of their debt too.

I guess it's a start. They really need a good clean out though. The problem is they keep ripping out small parts and replacing them with quality. But then that quality quickly become mediocre and your back to square 1.

Would be great for us.

So, like the status quo for the last few years then.

I hope for Melbourne's sake that he's changed his approach from when he was at Essendon. Not much point in banging on about financial stability and profts if you aren't prepared to loosen the purse strings enough to spend the money where it is really needed.

So, like the status quo for the last few years then.

I hope for Melbourne's sake that he's changed his approach from when he was at Essendon. Not much point in banging on about financial stability and profts if you aren't prepared to looses the purse strings enough to spend the money where it is really needed.

Was he that bad for us?

I have seen two schools of logic on this one.

1.didnt spend the money so we fell behind the pack.
2.amassed a huge war chest that allowed us to stay extremely financially stable.

Judging by the comments here he made sure we never went backwards but because of him we never really moved forward?

Was he that bad for us?

I have seen two schools of logic on this one.

1.didnt spend the money so we fell behind the pack.
2.amassed a huge war chest that allowed us to stay extremely financially stabe

He did both.

Amassing a war chest is all well and good, but he was too stingy, basically.

In other news Jack Watts has regained form in the VFL, while not actually playing VFL and has got a recall into the seniors
I reckon Watts would be an excellent pick up if he wants out of Melbourne. If Fletch retires, Hurley goes back and Watts comes in to the forward line. Could be the change he needs to get things moving, and possibly cheap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back