The Non-Footy Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's one of the things I can't stand about boring meathead American football. Nothing happens. And for like about 4 hours worth of it, as you say. Plus they've got enough padding and protection to outdo the Michelin Man. Slow as molasses to watch, plus a generally crap culture that goes with it. Michael Vick comes to mind.

CFL (Canadian Football League) is marginally better, but that's mostly cos we regularly play in snowstorms. But overall neither can hold a candle to AFL footy. Not even close. You guys have got the best game on the planet, hands down for mine. (And that includes better than ice hockey too! And lacrosse a close second.)

Interesting thoughts but unfair to taint an entire sport with the actions of an individual creep.

Was never into NFL until a mate married an american lass and lived in San Diego.

Then again as the NFL is want to do and their owners, his team got moved. He lost interest.

Last edited:

Interesting thoughts but unfair to taint an entire sport with the actions of an individual creep.

Sure. I'm thinking that was just an example she used rather than it being a platform upon which she has built her opinion.

Just on this subject....

I've actually spent quite a bit of time looking into the Vick case in some detail. Sadly, his is far from the only example of NFL footballers being associated with dog fighting. Obviously, his story was so high-profile on account of him bankrolling and being the ring-leader of a very large dog fighting operation, rather than having a lower level of involvement that the other players associated with dog-fighting have had. But yeah, Vick's is not an isolated case.

I appreciate we all have different levels on how affected we are by cases of animal cruelty, but I also find the peer support given to Vick at the time by (some) other NFL players to be pretty uncool. Likewise the NFL's decision to welcome him back to the sport. Just my opinion.

As for the sport itself, I find it fairly dull. Understand it completely. But still find it dull. Personally, I'm a fan of the faster-moving, more fluid sports. AFL, basketball, ice hockey, etc. Little less stop-start in nature. That's just personal taste, and there's no right and wrong in personal taste. (Unless you're a Billy Joel fan. Then you are most definitely in the wrong.)

Ja Morant stiff, the kid is a freak.

If there's ever a Kobe reincarnation this kid is it.

Yep, ridiculously talented basketballer. Completely different player to Zion but just as exciting. Kobe is a good point of comparison but I see bits of other players in him, also - Iverson and Penny Hardaway come to mind....Westbrook's attack on the basket....Drexler's ability to hang in the air for an eternity. Regardless, he's a gem.

Quite a few players that can consider themselves unlucky not to make the bench for the All-Stars. (Booker and Beal are two that come to mind.) Ja will just have to console himself with a spot in the Rising Stars team....

Zion Williamson
Ja Morant
Trae Young
Miles Bridges
PJ Washington
Devonte Graham
Tyler Herro
Kendrick Nunn
Jaren Jackson Jr
Eric Paschall

Few players apparently mightily aggrieved that they didn't make the above side. Jaxson Hayes had a major dummy spit, and Matisse Thybulle's manager had a big old whinge on social media. To be fair, the latter's exclusion is pretty baffling. Clearly already one of the best defensive players in the NBA, particularly when guarding around the arc range. Has every right to be pissed off. Hayes, maybe not so much.

And of course, the Rising Stars will be taking on the World team.....

Luka Doncic
Rui Hachimura
Nick Alexander-Walker
Deandre Ayton
RJ Barrett
Brandon Clarke
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Moritz Wagner
Svi Mykhailiuk
Josh Okogie

No Joe Ingles? Wtf? Jazz have gone something like 22-8 since he started playing as a starting guard!

Yep, ridiculously talented basketballer. Completely different player to Zion but just as exciting. Kobe is a good point of comparison but I see bits of other players in him, also - Iverson and Penny Hardaway come to mind....Westbrook's attack on the basket....Drexler's ability to hang in the air for an eternity. Regardless, he's a gem.
Yes, I like that comparison even better actually.

Wasn't aware of that (watch from very afar it seems).

Did he/they claim any sort of redemption?

Do you mean was he repentant? It's hard to know, unless you're him. He did a bunch of interviews after he got out of jail, basically saying that dog fighting was how he was raised, and that he wished someone along the way had told him not to get involved in it. He describes himself as a "dog lover", but he willfully abused over 50 pit bulls at a time, and is directly responsible for personally hanging and drowning at least 8 of them. In all the interviews I've seen him give, the only thing I can take away is that he's sorry that he got caught. Claiming he wished someone had told him at some point in his life not to do it isn't taking responsibility for your actions. It's shifting blame onto others. So do I believe he's repentant? No, I don't.

Guys like Vick, and Ray Rice, would have trouble getting hired anywhere else if they weren't famous football players. To me that says volumes about what the NFL finds as acceptable on the most very basic of human behaviour levels. You can abuse dogs for profit, hang them and drown them, punch your wife, and we'll still hire you and pay you millions and millions of dollars and celebrate you on national television.

Something not quite right with that picture, IMHO.

Do you mean was he repentant? It's hard to know, unless you're him. He did a bunch of interviews after he got out of jail, basically saying that dog fighting was how he was raised, and that he wished someone along the way had told him not to get involved in it. He describes himself as a "dog lover", but he willfully abused over 50 pit bulls at a time, and is directly responsible for personally hanging and drowning at least 8 of them. In all the interviews I've seen him give, the only thing I can take away is that he's sorry that he got caught. Claiming he wished someone had told him at some point in his life not to do it isn't taking responsibility for your actions. It's shifting blame onto others. So do I believe he's repentant? No, I don't.

Guys like Vick, and Ray Rice, would have trouble getting hired anywhere else if they weren't famous football players. To me that says volumes about what the NFL finds as acceptable on the most very basic of human behaviour levels. You can abuse dogs for profit, hang them and drown them, punch your wife, and we'll still hire you and pay you millions and millions of dollars and celebrate you on national television.

Something not quite right with that picture, IMHO.

Thanks. Yeh was referring to the PR angle they took and how they tried to demonstrate contrition.

Pretty odd/disturbing defence he sounds like he offered for those kind of acts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like soccer continues to self destruct at the top level.

Much ado about nada. The major sponsor is considering ending it’s commitment having been onboard since the comp’s inception. Time to find a new naming rights sponsor for a sport exposed throughout Asia. A face mask provider should be keen!

Buckle up folks, Trade season has started in the NBA. Suggest anyone interested follow Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter and hot that bell to get notifications. Dudes all over it

I feel like getting acquainted just to enjoy a trade period.

Unfortunately my basketball knowledge ceased after Leonard Copeland gave it away.

Trivia: I once received an enquiry from Mr Copeland back in the day about hurriedly de-itemising his phone bills. Hopefully any statutes concerning revealing this have long passed.

Pretty sure he wanted to do this to save paper. What an absolute Eco-Warrior that man was.

I feel like getting acquainted just to enjoy a trade period.

Unfortunately my basketball knowledge ceased after Leonard Copeland gave it away.

Trivia: I once received an enquiry from Mr Copeland back in the day about hurriedly de-itemising his phone bills. Hopefully any statutes concerning revealing this have long passed.

Pretty sure he wanted to do this to save paper. What an absolute Eco-Warrior that man was.

The trade period in the NBA is crazy. They don’t * around. Personally I’m a bit nervous about who the Sixers will trade out. There’s some rumours around Embiid, hope they’ll work it out.

The trade period in the NBA is crazy. They don’t fu** around. Personally I’m a bit nervous about who the Sixers will trade out. There’s some rumours around Embiid, hope they’ll work it out.

The trades I've seen in NFL and NHL assuming NBA the same, far out they're complex. Picks for a zillion rounds and years going back and forth and 100 players being exchanged for 1 stud.

People laughed at David King's Jeremy Cameron trade proposal but I reckon a club will eventually pull the trigger with a seriously big trade offer for a prime aged gun in the AFL.

I think Milwaukee will ride the season out unless they trade picks.

They've opened up a nice little break now. Mightn't be the most exciting team going around, but they keep getting the job done.

That said, the Raptors are putting together another good season, too. And when they're 'on', Celtics are nigh on unbeatable, IMO.

Lakers chugging along nicely in the West.

Speaking of the above, very nice move by Aaron Gordon from the Lakers v Magic game yesterday....

Makes it look easy, but believe me when I say it's not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back