Oppo Camp The Non-North Football Discussion & AFL Matchday Chat Thread: Edition IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starting to think they won't be bottom four for long.

I still have concerns about them, especially their spine. Docherty going down early will hurt them too. But they have some serious talent in the midfield now.

Cripps, Walsh, Dow, Setterfield, Fisher, Murphy is a solid on ball brigade. Obviously some of these guys are unproven but the raw ingredients are there.

I still have concerns about them, especially their spine. Docherty going down early will hurt them too. But they have some serious talent in the midfield now.

Cripps, Walsh, Dow, Setterfield, Fisher, Murphy is a solid on ball brigade. Obviously some of these guys are unproven but the raw ingredients are there.

Yeah, agreed definitely their spine is the issue, but they're tracking along very similar to what Melbourne came to be now, where the midfield is the core of their game after addressing the problems forward and back.

That young midfield troupe is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Patrick Cripps practically carried that team last year, he's a beast and now they have Sam Walsh, another midfield beast to be.

Dunno about the 4 above. Murphy is close to being cooked, others I’m not sold on.

As I said Dow, Setterfied & Fisher are unproven. Fisher has shown he has some solid traits. Setterfield will be a gun and Dow has all the tools to be a game breaker.

If Murphy has a bit more talent around him he could still be really damaging as a 3rd-4th in line midfielder.

Weitering
Marchbank
Kreuzer
Curnow
McKay

Not the worst spine in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching last night, the rules won't effect forward lines as most thought.

It's the center bounces that are completely different.

With no additional wingers and extra players behind the ball coming off the square etc, teams have to play man-on-man defence for the center bounces.

There was an acre of space for the center square mids, even 10-15 seconds after it was bounced, because the half backs have to be accountable, the bunch of mids are essentially left alone to win the ball.

Mids like Martin and Dangerfield are going to have a field day with these rules. There's so much space after you win the ball to break away.

Higgins might go to an even higher level.

I think the rules really suit Polec as well. Seeing as the wings are really the only ones that can impact the center square contests. He will enjoy the space out there.

Made me sick hearing Jonathon Brown talking up the way Carlton rebuilt their key positions then went about rebuilding the midfield like it was some brilliant strategic plan well executed.

It's called being rewarded with the best players in the land every friggin year for being s**t. Wasn't the result of some incredible series of chess moves.

God only knows what we'd be copping from the media if we eventually succeeded off the back of having 15 number 1 picks on the list.

Watching last night, the rules won't effect forward lines as most thought.

It's the center bounces that are completely different.

With no additional wingers and extra players behind the ball coming off the square etc, teams have to play man-on-man defence for the center bounces.

There was an acre of space for the center square mids, even 10-15 seconds after it was bounced, because the half backs have to be accountable, the bunch of mids are essentially left alone to win the ball.

Mids like Martin and Dangerfield are going to have a field day with these rules. There's so much space after you win the ball to break away.

Higgins might go to an even higher level.

I think the rules really suit Polec as well. Seeing as the wings are really the only ones that can impact the center square contests. He will enjoy the space out there.
Sounds good to me.

Cunnington will kill it as well.

I can see sweeping handballs to running wingmen, backs pushing up to pressure the carrier, and more room in the 50.

Footy how it should be.

The campaigners tried to buy us out. Some of the most arrogant supporters whether they're up and about or not.

Let them burn.
I concur wholeheartedly. Hope they remain in football hell for the rest of my term.

The perpetual Carlton will be good in 3 years may become reality eventually. The question remains whether it'll be this batch of reward for failure or the next. The previous bstch of Gibbs, Murphy, Kruezer etc didn't pay off.

With enough prodding even Melbourne may have turned the corner.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

My sister married into a Carlton family. Her hubby is a great bloke but has the Carlton arrogance in spades.

It's weird.

We were out for lunch last week and the conversation turned to footy. My sister asked me who I hated most and I replied "Essendon, Hawthorn & Carlton, in that order." My bro in law followed up with usual povo, no crowd stuff.

My sister bleated "But why Carlton?"

"Because your supporters are arrogant & deluded and the club has been a joke ever since you couldn't get a flag with brown paper bags", was my quickfire reply.

It's no surprise my 20yr old nephew has none of this superiority complex. They've been a laughing stock for his entire life. I almost feel sorry for him.

Almost.

I'd argue that it actually is based on exposed form. If it wasn't for the Gold Coast it wouldn't be close either.
Clearly I'm not judging them on exposed form, they don't have a lot of it. Plus they've never been supported by a half decent midfield.

I wouldn't be surprised if they outperformed the spines of teams like the Saints, Hawks, and Fremantle. They're miles ahead of Gold Coast and the Bulldogs for mine.

Clearly I'm not judging them on exposed form, they don't have a lot of it. Plus they've never been supported by a half decent midfield.

I wouldn't be surprised if they outperformed the spines of teams like the Saints, Hawks, and Fremantle. They're miles ahead of Gold Coast and the Bulldogs for mine.

There's a lot of projection when you make a comment like that.

Weitering has shown nothing but the ability to look lost when playing against the best forwards, Marchbank is a handy player but isn't a shutdown player at all, and Curnow/McKay are both insanely raw and benefit from being the only half-decent forwards on Carlton's list.

At the Gold Coast, Rory Thompson is a better KPD than anybody on Carlton's list, while the duo of Wright and Lukosius is comparable to that of Curnow and McKay. For the Bulldogs, I'd argue that Morris and Cordy are more superior to Weitering/Marchbank than Curnow and McKay are to Boyd and Schache at the other end.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a team that won two games last year. While their midfield was shocking, the fact that they were playing underdeveloped kids in the backline and forwardline did them no favors at all. Potential only counts for so much, so I also don't think we should crown every high draft pick as a future gem just because they occasionally show something.

There's a lot of projection when you make a comment like that.

Weitering has shown nothing but the ability to look lost when playing against the best forwards, Marchbank is a handy player but isn't a shutdown player at all, and Curnow/McKay are both insanely raw and benefit from being the only half-decent forwards on Carlton's list.

At the Gold Coast, Rory Thompson is a better KPD than anybody on Carlton's list, while the duo of Wright and Lukosius is comparable to that of Curnow and McKay. For the Bulldogs, I'd argue that Morris and Cordy are more superior to Weitering/Marchbank than Curnow and McKay are to Boyd and Schache at the other end.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a team that won two games last year. While their midfield was shocking, the fact that they were playing underdeveloped kids in the backline and forwardline did them no favors at all. Potential only counts for so much, so I also don't think we should crown every high draft pick as a future gem just because they occasionally show something.
Sorry if I don't take this post very seriously when it starts off with "Weitering has shown nothing". He has shown a lot in his career, especially in his first year. Hasn't been able to back that up yet but the talent is still there.

Don't agree that Curnow is raw. If anything he's far in front of where you'd expect him to be at this point. McKay is very raw but is tracking to be a 30-40 goal forward in his fourth year. The McKays are precocious. Some on here are expecting his brother to take over from Maj without us losing anything and Ben is a 1 gamer.

Thompson is the worst one-on-one tall defender in the league according to Champion Data. Basically just a spoiler, I'd probably take Liam Jones ahead of him. GC still need to find a CHB to play with him too now that May is gone, might be Collins.

That's a bold claim on Wright and Lukosius. Think Curnow and McKay could outscore them by a couple dozen majors quite easily. Witts is Gold Coast's biggest strength over Carlton but if we're just talking 2019 I'd have the Blues KPPs over GC's ones easily.

Bulldogs have Morris and the rest of their talls are pus. Adams was their second best and he's gone. Boyd will be lucky to play 10 games this year (or would that be unlucky for the Dogs?). Schache I actually thought showed a little last year but if McKay is raw then Schache is veal. Kreuzer would crush English or whoever else the Dogs will run through the ruck, Jackson Trengove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back