Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Righto I went back and watched Q1 stoppages and throw ins in the marsh game dogs v us and then last night v pies. Not overly scientific but from what I saw pies basically played as if there was no opposition ruck. Because he towelled English everything the pies did was like a training drill; the space the opened for each other worked perfectly because the tap was always coming. I haven’t gone back to double check but I didn’t notice us doing as many plays where we would block to create space to receive the tap against the dogs.
Another thing I noticed was that when dogs won the ball v us we would sometimes have a second man come and assist in the tackle but pies didn’t look to do this. Dogs seemed to set up once or twice v pies very outside and forward of the ball which made them look slow when they didn’t win the ball inside. I’ll need better camera angles to see more of what’s the difference was too, the broadcast might as well be through a pin hole sometimes.
Again Footscray getting carried away with themselves. English could end up being a fine ruckman but he was talked up as being in the Grundy/Gawn/Goldstein conversation. He's nowhere near that yet. He'll get smashed by the big boys and it will cost them.

Same with Naughton. Good young talent but he's cannon fodder for the Tarrants of the game at this point.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DaveyBoy123

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Southampton, San Antonio, Buffalo
Brayshaw kicks those goals, they win. LDU woulda kicked them.
Actually, if you have a look at the top 3 from that draft (Rayner, Brayshaw & Dow), I think it's already been proven that they all would have missed those shots when the game's on the line.

Rayner: Against us last season
Brayshaw: Today
Dow: Every time he steps out onto the ground

nj23

Debutant
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Actually, if you have a look at the top 3 from that draft (Rayner, Brayshaw & Dow), I think it's already been proven that they all would have missed those shots when the game's on the line.

Rayner: Against us last season
Brayshaw: Today
Dow: Every time he steps out onto the ground
TBF LDU is no dead eye at set shots either. From memory he missed two set shots in our opening game (RIP) last year v freo.

JeanLucGoddard

Premium Platinum
Aug 21, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
TBF LDU is no dead eye at set shots either. From memory he missed two set shots in our opening game (RIP) last year v freo.
These weren't set shots, they were on the run, not under direct pressure, 20 metres out on slight angles.

I've seen LDU gobble them up.

Top Bottom