Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough luck for Deledio, I saw his interview with DalSanto and Kelly Underwood, did his calf for the umpteenth time in the 1st Q, but kept it quiet and played out the game so he wouldn't affect rotations, or his team mates attitudes etc, kudos to him and good luck for the future.

I can't explain exactly why but I switched the game on and wanted Richmond to win.

And trust me, I don't like Richmond.

Somewhere in that is the answer.
Because Brisbane have had smoked blown up their arse while having a blessed season (for numerous reasons), while the tigers have been injury riddled all season and had to slog it out quite hard at some stages in order to keep in touch with the top 4. Well, that was my reason anyway.

As for the weekend in general... lmao.

3 Thrashings. Both top two teams lost, both relied upon some of the biggest home ground advantages during the season to get to top 2. Venue drama. Fans being violent to players. AFL truly is alive and well, and with Top Blokes:tm: like Brad joining the corporate ranks it surely couldn't be in better hands!

I don't see how playing games at the G can ever be construed as bad.

I used to ******* love rocking up to the G to watch North play in the 90s. If you're a good enough team you win no matter the location. Plus you need to be able to win there for the next 50 years at least.

Also screw marvel and its mediocre design. And that's coming from a guy who lives walking distance from the place.

I wish we got more than 1 game a year there, can't wait till we are back in finals. Feels like it's been forever.

Will be a massive choke if Richmond don’t win this flag. Collingwood have about 15 fit blokes left and Brisbane, Geelong, GWS are all shithouse at the G. Only threat to the Tigers winning it now is if West Coast manage to beat them in the prelim.

I can't explain exactly why but I switched the game on and wanted Richmond to win.

And trust me, I don't like Richmond.

Somewhere in that is the answer.

Don't you like Richmond?
I hate B I C H mond.
All I want to see the finals, they lose. That's it all.
Extremely stupid supporters and dirty campaigners for AFL institution.
Ugly unclassy players wear stupid disgusting uniform with brainless behavior.
Go Geelong, GWS, Lions, Westcoast!

I wouldn’t mind Richmond winning it again. They didn’t take any shortcuts and were middle of the road for a long time before they flicked the switch in 2017.

The only thing that makes me want not want them to win it is Tom Lynch. That mercenary doesn’t deserve a flag. He and Sam May turned their back on GC even when they were captains. Neither of them had the backbone or leadership to stick it through till the end.

When was the last time that the top two teams went straight sets?
1926 was the last time the top two teams lost in week one - I quoted sirswampthing from Twitter earlier. Not sure straight sets applied back then?

Looked it up - in the 1920s, the minor premier played in the GF regardless of losing in the first week. Top four played finals, with week one winners playing in the PF to earn the other spot in the GF.

In 1926 Collingwood (1) and Geelong (2) both lost in week one, but Collingwood still went through to the GF two weeks later without playing again (lost to Melbourne).

In 1925 the same thing happened except Geelong (finished top and lost first week, went through to GF anyway) won the GF.

In 1920, Richmond and Fitzroy lost week one but Richmond went through to the GF anyway and won the flag.

So straight sets for the top two has never happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And a weird quirk I found when i checked what happened when week one was won by the higher ranked teams. In 1921, Carlton were minor premiers with Richmond second. They duly won their finals in week one - then played each other in the PF, then played each other again in the GF, with Richmond winning both games and the flag.

And a weird quirk I found when i checked what happened when week one was won by the higher ranked teams. In 1921, Carlton were minor premiers with Richmond second. They duly won their finals in week one - then played each other in the PF, then played each other again in the GF, with Richmond winning both games and the flag.

A lot of those flags should have *'s.

Once upon a time you could play the grand final and lose but challenge, play them again the next week and win it.

Even back then the VFL were trying to maximise profit. /tongue in cheek

I wouldn’t mind Richmond winning it again. They didn’t take any shortcuts and were middle of the road for a long time before they flicked the switch in 2017.

The only thing that makes me want not want them to win it is Tom Lynch. That mercenary doesn’t deserve a flag. He and Sam May turned their back on GC even when they were captains. Neither of them had the backbone or leadership to stick it through till the end.

Kind of agree about Richmond - they had a charmed run in 2017 but this year has been anything but.

Disagree on Tom Lynch. Negligent for someone of his talent to stay at a club that is a basketcase.

1926 was the last time the top two teams lost in week one - I quoted sirswampthing from Twitter earlier. Not sure straight sets applied back then?

It would have been impossible under the final 4 system, as one of 3rd or 4th went out in the first week of finals.

Edit: sorry, just saw your follow-up post.

So when do the finals start? The bits of the four games I saw this weekend were underwhelming to say the least.

* and Footscray provided enough evidence to show that 8 teams in the finals is too many. Brisbane were out of their depth and * knows how Geelong keep finishing that high.

A Richmond - Collingwood GF might be a decent spectacle. There's going to be some turgid s**t to wade through before we get there though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So when do the finals start? The bits of the four games I saw this weekend were underwhelming to say the least.

* and Footscray provided enough evidence to show that 8 teams in the finals is too many. Brisbane were out of their depth and fu** knows how Geelong keep finishing that high.

A Richmond - Collingwood GF might be a decent spectacle. There's going to be some turgid s**t to wade through before we get there though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
The semis will be good before two drubbings in the prelims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back