Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie Grundy to sign seven-year contract with Collingwood to stay a Magpie for life
Mark Robinson, Chief football writer, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

November 12, 2019
Collingwood has bowed to Brodie Grundy’s contract demands, agreeing to a mega seven-year deal for their prized ruckman.

Grundy, 25, will earn in the vicinity of $1 million a year which will make him the highest-paid ruckman in the history of the game.

Grundy, who was to be a free agent at the end of the 2020 season, is currently holidaying in South America. He will return to Australia in early December.

Brodie Grundy will be a Magpie for life after signing a mega deal at Collingwood.
Brodie Grundy will be a Magpie for life after signing a mega deal at Collingwood.
Minor details are still being finalised, but the Herald Sun can reveal Grundy has agreed to stay a Magpie, most likely for his entire career.

The bumper seven-year commitment to Grundy is the first of four major signings the Magpies have to complete.

Forward Jordan De Goey, defender Darcy Moore and skipper Scott Pendlebury all have expiring contracts at the end of the 2020 season.

The three of them will command salaries estimated to be between $700,000 and $1 million a year.

It’s been reported Collingwood’s salary cap is bulging, but Pies list manager Ned Guy recently told the Herald Sun the club could “absolutely” keep its list together.

In recent days, the Pies announced the re-signings of veterans Travis Varcoe and Ben Reid.

Tim Broomhead, Rupert Wills and Jack Madgen have also agreed to one-year deals, with Broomhead remaining on the rookie list and Madgen as a Category B rookie.

The signature of Grundy was significant because Grundy had said previously he would consider moving back to South Australia to be closer to his family if a seven-year deal was not in the offering.

Brodie Grundy celebrates a goal with teammate Jordan De Goey, who is out of contract at the end of next year.
Brodie Grundy celebrates a goal with teammate Jordan De Goey, who is out of contract at the end of next year.
It was reported the Pies initially offered Grundy a three-year deal.

Grundy, who finished sixth in the Brownlow Medal, wanted a seven-year deal from the outset.

At the start of October as contract talks were being held, Grundy said: “I am an open book and I am pretty transparent and I have been pretty transparent all the way through.

“The conversation is there … if they (Collingwood) would like it.

“I feel really comfortable at the football club.

“It is something which is a negotiation … it is a negotiation for a reason.”

Coach Nathan Buckley will be delighted, although he gave the impression in August a seven-year deal would be a stretch.

“It really is horses for courses, but longer contracts, whether it’s a philosophy or whether it’s the club having to find a happy medium between where it sits and what the player wants, but at any given point we need to make decisions that are best for the club,’’ Buckley told 3AW.

“We’re going to look after Brodie as much as we possibly can and he’s aware of that as well.”

Buckley also said long-term contracts can “lock up a lot of your salary cap”.

Oh, damn Collingwood, that is the player we really wanted 😇

It still baffles me how the footy media talks about Carlton as though they have been a great success story since 2015 after they have managed to reach the dizzying heights of 14th, 16th, 18th, & 16th... :drunk:

The media is basically assisting Carlton in growing their membership by generating hope based on semi-decent showing. Contrast this with the s**t Barrett just wrote about us.

It’s a pretty smart move. Best ruck in the league and doesn’t miss many games.

Do not object to paying a ruckman high, just a ruck more than 5 years. Its still rare that good rucks have long careers. Can always draft a solid ruck and spend money in other areas.

Four blokes on between 700k and 1m....?

Surely that can't be right.

Forward Jordan De Goey, defender Darcy Moore and skipper Scott Pendlebury all have expiring contracts at the end of the 2020 season.

The three of them will command salaries estimated to be between $700,000 and $1 million a year.

Could be all three are closer to $700k rather than $1Mill, Pendles should go down but it is still something that could really hurt them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do not object to paying a ruckman high, just a ruck more than 5 years. Its still rare that good rucks have long careers. Can always draft a solid ruck and spend money in other areas.

Could be all three are closer to $700k rather than $1Mill, Pendles should go down but it is still something that could really hurt them

Fair enough. On history he’s more durable then JDG so I know who I’d be more comfortable with giving a long term deal to

Grundy will sign with Collingwood locking in his money and contract length.

Then whenever he wants, he'll just demand to be traded home to South Australia citing "family reasons" but knowing he's got job security and cashola locked in.

He's smarter than the average footy player is Grodie Brundy, he knows exactly how the game works these days.

Really?

Dyer
Farmer
Nicholls
Madden x 2
Dempsey
Scott
Cox
Sandilands

Durability and longevity seem to be fairly common traits of the good/great ones.

I reckon playing ruck would be one of those things where experience becomes increasingly valuable too. So not only are those guys durable and skilled the longer they last the better they get (to a point). Its a bit of a feedback loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back