Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he’s going to get into trouble for that but tbh he was in fight or flight mode.

I wouldn't have thought he was, if he's experiencing that from simply having a bit of a tussle and being pulled off of a bloke then he has bigger issues that the upcoming suspension.

And yeah, the kick to the head was pretty dirty. Funnily enough the helmet probably did a good job of protecting him there :p, maybe that's what the kicker will argue: that he was just illustrating why it's so important NOT to interfere with a player's helmet.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn't have thought he was, if he's experiencing that from simply having a bit of a tussle and being pulled off of a bloke then he has bigger issues that the upcoming suspension.

And yeah, the kick to the head was pretty dirty. Funnily enough the helmet probably did a good job of protecting him there :p, maybe that's what the kicker will argue: that he was just illustrating why it's so important NOT to interfere with a player's helmet.

Have you ever been in a fight?

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have you ever been in a fight?

Yes, but that was hardly a fight. Most of the melees/scraggings in the AFL are about as threatening as that, up until he decided to brain the other bloke with a helmet, and I'd be shocked if the majority of AFL players enter 'flight or fight' mode during something like this.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, but that was hardly a fight. Most of the melees/scraggings in the AFL are about as threatening as that, up until he decided to brain the other bloke with a helmet, and I'd be shocked if the majority of AFL players enter 'flight or fight' mode during something like this.

Your kidding yourself if you think he wasn’t in fight mode...some people just get there quicker then others.

I think it’s ridiculous that these kind of athletes are expected to be aggressive, even ruthless, then people get upset when they behave like savages. What do you expect? Only a psychopaths are capable of being ruthless and not emotional

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Your kidding yourself if you think he wasn’t in fight mode...some people just get there quicker then others.

I think it’s ridiculous that these kind of athletes are expected to be aggressive, even ruthless, then people get upset when they behave like savages. What do you expect? Only a psychopaths are capable of being ruthless and not emotional
He was in "I'm fighting" mode and, the helmet swing suggested probably in "fight" mode, but I disagree that you can't be aggressive and still in control (without being a psychopath.)

he’s going to get into trouble for that but tbh he was in fight or flight mode. Can’t expect him to act rational, the bloke that kicks him when he’s down is way worse imo

Pouncey?

Its a very similar thing with soldiers.

You can't train humans to switch off their humanity and kill on orders then be surprised when war crimes happen in the heat of the moment. I'm talking about things like the allegations against Ben Roberts-Smith for example. (And i'm not trying to justify his actions either but what do people expect when we train people to kill?) heat of the moment failures not systemic ones. In the same way you can't really expect professional athletes playing a contact sport, who are wound up to play aggressively and channel violence into an outcome, to suddenly turn it off in an instant. Especially when someone suddenly breaks the game rules they are all using to control and channel their aggro.

AFAIK there is no mechanism these people train to be able to do that so its silly to expect it to happen.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pouncey?

Its a very similar thing with soldiers.

You can't train humans to switch off their humanity and kill on orders then be surprised when war crimes happen in the heat of the moment. I'm talking about things like the allegations against Ben Roberts-Smith for example. (And i'm not trying to justify his actions either but what do people expect when we train people to kill?) heat of the moment failures not systemic ones. In the same way you can't really expect professional athletes playing a contact sport, who are wound up to play aggressively and channel violence into an outcome, to suddenly turn it off in an instant. Especially when someone suddenly breaks the game rules they are all using to control and channel their aggro.

AFAIK there is no mechanism these people train to be able to do that so its silly to expect it to happen.

People snap. It’s something I think I would’ve done in the moment without thinking. When I was a kid I got a 80 odd game suspension from basketball because I lashed out at someone because I felt threatened. It wasn’t till later that I had that ‘oh s**t’ moment. At the time it was just reflex.

The bloke should be suspended, but it’s been wayyyy overblown. Don’t think he deliberately ripped his helmet off him to belt him with it....it just sort of happened

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
People snap. It’s something I think I would’ve done in the moment without thinking. When I was a kid I got a 80 odd game suspension from basketball because I lashed out at someone because I felt threatened. It wasn’t till later that I had that ‘oh s**t’ moment. At the time it was just reflex.

The bloke should be suspended, but it’s been wayyyy overblown. Don’t think he deliberately ripped his helmet off him to belt him with it....it just sort of happened

I didn’t think Val Keating would have “oh s**t” moments. It’d be more likely the bloke who was on the receiving end from the crutchy push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
It was much easier for the stragglers when the time trials were old-fashioned road runs, i.e. Percy Jones catching the route 19 tram on Sydney Road.

There's an aura of fun around those days.

If a modern player did that it'd be front page of the paper and he'd have to make some pithy apology to his teammates.

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's an aura of fun around those days.

If a modern player did that it'd be front page of the paper and he'd have to make some pithy apology to his teammates.
Not wishing to turn this into a Carlton fest KC, but I recall Mark McLure's response when asked for his thoughts on 'Leading Teams'. Sellars' take was that they had their own version of 360-degree peer feedback in the 70s and 80s. It involved the players sitting around a barrel watching World of Sport on Sunday morning, hitting each other up with the good, the bad and the indifferent. There was no need to reinvent the wheel, but the infiltration of consultants and 'change managers' has been for the worse in my humble view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back