Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
WHAT.A.JOKE

Absolutely pathetic by the AFL. Only a matter of time before the mental stuff changed the role. Not hard. Don't do drugs. Sending a poor message to our youth.

If you get caught, just have a sob story, they will change the rules for you!

If it’s not performance enhancing what’s the big deal?

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It isn't 1980 any longer. It's against the rules and players are paid to set an example too. The players have agreed to be part of it. It affects the team. You have players running around doing drugs = fewer people watching the game thanks to parents thinking players aren't setting a good example = less sponsorship money for AFL and teams = reduced player salary = well done, your drug habit affected everyone's pockets.

Do that s**t when you're retired and no one gives a * what it is that you do. It's a slippery slope to Cousins, Sylvia, etc. Some players in the league barely have two brain cells to rub together. Add drugs to the mix...:drunk:

It isn't 1980 any longer. It's against the rules and players are paid to set an example too. The players have agreed to be part of it. It affects the team. You have players running around doing drugs = fewer people watching the game thanks to parents thinking players aren't setting a good example = less sponsorship money for AFL and teams = reduced player salary = well done, your drug habit affected everyone's pockets.

Do that s**t when you're retired and no one gives a fu** what it is that you do. It's a slippery slope to Cousins, Sylvia, etc. Some players in the league barely have two brain cells to rub together. Add drugs to the mix...:drunk:
Take a chill pill.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s illegal Val. And there should be ramifications for breaking the law.
Some industries set such standards whereby if you get caught with illegal drugs in your system, you get the sack and never get a second chance. Eg mining.
Now I’m not saying the AFL should be that strict necessarily, but a few weeks would be far too lenient IMO.

AFL basically saying ‘Load up on the coke fellas...’
The Friday/Saturday night bender has been ticked off but since when was coke ever performance enhancing? I think this change is off the back of the whole of the league being on the bags. We won’t have a comp if we reatained the the current laws

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Also, read the WADA code. There are allow reasons drugs are not allowed.

I’m a bit torn on this. Take weed for example, that will stay in a player’s system for ages...doesn’t mean they took it match day. Coke is out of the system fairly quickly so if they test positive, there’s a good chance they’ve taken it on match day.

What are they doing? Are they playing cops or are they concerned about performance enhancing? If it’s only about performance enhancing/doping then only test for those things. If it’s for illicit substance, let’s test everybody employed within the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
The Friday/Saturday night bender has been ticked off but since when was coke ever performance enhancing? I think this change is off the back of the whole of the league being on the bags. We won’t have a comp if we reatained the the current laws

I’d suggest cocaine would be performance enhancing due to its properties as a stimulant.

That, and it’s also illegal.

But as you say, the whole league is doing it and they’re not about to blow their own foot off through this issue.

They do it well enough with others.

Do that s**t when you're retired and no one gives a fu** what it is that you do. It's a slippery slope to Cousins, Sylvia, etc. Some players in the league barely have two brain cells to rub together. Add drugs to the mix...:drunk:
You can be as puritan as you like about that, but if it's not doping and not cheating it's not any of WADA's business.

I’d suggest cocaine would be performance enhancing due to its properties as a stimulant.
Coke would be woeful as a PED.

Players would wind up not knowing what point they're meant to be at defensively. And half the time would be wanting more coke.

Don't get me wrong I think stimulants can enhance performance but it'd rarely be on game day.

If a bloke on gear could run for extra minutes everyday across an entire preseason the compound effect it would have would almost certainly enhance performance.

Let's call it the Ben Cousins effect.

LOL at the responses of
'Won't someone think of the children'

How many kids you reckon heard about Willie Rioli and thought to themselves, jeez I gotta get me a bong? And do you actually think that was the deciding factor.

Won't smoke weed
Won't smoke weed
Won't smoke weed
*Rioli happens*
Blaze me up

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Coke would be woeful as a PED.

Players would wind up not knowing what point they're meant to be at defensively. And half the time would be wanting more coke.

Don't get me wrong I think stimulants can enhance performance but it'd rarely be on game day.

If a bloke on gear could run for extra minutes everyday across an entire preseason the compound effect it would have would almost certainly enhance performance.

Let's call it the Ben Cousins effect.

LOL at the responses of
'Won't someone think of the children'

How many kids you reckon heard about Willie Rioli and thought to themselves, jeez I gotta get me a bong? And do you actually think that was the deciding factor.

Won't smoke weed
Won't smoke weed
Won't smoke weed
*Rioli happens*
Blaze me up

It would certainly get you up and about early on in the game.

Weed. Not so much.

It would certainly get you up and about early on in the game.

Weed. Not so much.

Sure but the game would continue long after that initial peak.

Then what they do more?

Is the contention here there are players who are cooked to the gills playing footy?

I highly doubt it.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can be as puritan as you like about that, but if it's not doping and not cheating it's not any of WADA's business.
Guess again:

For a substance or method to be prohibited, it must meet two of the following three conditions:

1. The substance or method has the potential to enhance, or does enhance performance in sport.
  2. The substance or method has the potential to risk the athlete’s health.
  3. WADA has determined that the substance or method violates the spirit of sport.
If you get past #1, good luck getting past #2 and #3 for most illicit drugs.
  • Cocaine is classed as an S6 stimulant on the Prohibited List and is prohibited in-competition. Generally, cocaine produces an intense ‘rush’ with users feeling a sense of euphoria, alertness, arousal, and increased confidence. Many users find the drug addictive and may face a number of short and long term health problems including an irregular heartbeat, chest pain, kidney failure, and seizures or stroke.
It's exactly WADA's business because the AFL made it ASADA and WADA's business when they signed up to the code in the mid-2000s after being threatened with the loss of millions through federal funding.

The AFL signed it and the players agreed to it.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Guess again:

For a substance or method to be prohibited, it must meet two of the following three conditions:

1. The substance or method has the potential to enhance, or does enhance performance in sport.
  2. The substance or method has the potential to risk the athlete’s health.
  3. WADA has determined that the substance or method violates the spirit of sport.
If you get past #1, good luck getting past #2 and #3 for most illicit drugs.
  • Cocaine is classed as an S6 stimulant on the Prohibited List and is prohibited in-competition. Generally, cocaine produces an intense ‘rush’ with users feeling a sense of euphoria, alertness, arousal, and increased confidence. Many users find the drug addictive and may face a number of short and long term health problems including an irregular heartbeat, chest pain, kidney failure, and seizures or stroke.
It's exactly WADA's business because the AFL made it ASADA and WADA's business when they signed up to the code in the mid-2000s after being threatened with the loss of millions through federal funding.

The AFL signed it and the players agreed to it.

That’s a ridiculous premise imo. So some players signed it in the 00’s...what happens when those players aren’t around anymore?

Also, the AFL doesn’t need federal funding anyway.

If the government is so hell bent on being drug free, why don’t they volunteer themselves for the same standards?

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s a ridiculous premise imo. So some players signed it in the 00’s...what happens when those players aren’t around anymore?

Also, the AFL doesn’t need federal funding anyway.

If the government is so hell bent on being drug free, why don’t they volunteer themselves for the same standards?
You sign it when you are signed by an AFL team :$

How ridiculous for WADA to look out for athletes. Organisations like that keep the balance. AFL players can barely keep on top of things as it is and now we think it could be a good idea to lessen the restriction on illicit drugs...

That's what we all want. Players like DeGoey running around on a bender. That'll be good for himself and anyone that crosses his path. They are there to stop the dam breaking. I know it's been a few years and people have short attention spans but Cousins should be a warning to anyone who thinks it's a good idea to ease on this rule. Boys will be boys doesn't cut it when they are young, famous, full of money, and think they are invincible. Add drugs to that and it's a recipe for disaster.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You sign it when you are signed by an AFL team :$

How ridiculous for WADA to look out for athletes. Organisations like that keep the balance. AFL players can barely keep on top of things as it is and now we think it could be a good idea to lessen the restriction on illicit drugs...

That's what we all want. Players like DeGoey running around on a bender. That'll be good for himself and anyone that crosses his path. They are there to stop the dam breaking. I know it's been a few years and people have short attention spans but Cousins should be a warning to anyone who thinks it's a good idea to ease on this rule. Boys will be boys doesn't cut it when they are young, famous, full of money, and think they are invincible. Add drugs to that and it's a recipe for disaster.

So you expect a 17-18 year old kid to stand up to them and say, nah not signing it? Please.

If the AFL wants to be ‘pure’ then why aren’t the people running the comp putting their hands up and also committing to such standards? This isn’t about PED’s after all.

Why is it just the players that need to abide by these standards?

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you expect a 17-18 year old kid to stand up to them and say, nah not signing it? Please.

If the AFL wants to be ‘pure’ then why aren’t the people running the comp putting their hands up and also committing to such standards? This isn’t about PED’s after all.

Why is it just the players that need to abide by these standards?
I don't expect 17-18-year-olds to say a thing. I expect them to knuckle down and earn their spot. If they did the experienced heads would have every right to say "shut your mouth kid". Not "i'm not signing that because I want to do drugs on the weekend."

When did I say any of that? You're just assuming I feel that way. I am against illicit drugs for everyone. We've been through this before with Garner and co. drinking. Players whether they like it or not are role models. Kids look up to them. If everyone in the league decided to scrap the code there will be an increase in *ups which will result in a decrease in sponsorship money. We'll see how happy players are if their average wage went from 350k a year down to 250k. I bet they wouldn't be too happy then.

The average AFL career is 4 years. Plenty of time after that to do drugs if they want. Better to make hay while the sun is shining.

At the end of the day, this is all because a player stuffed up and is upset because he ruined his career. Desperate people do desperate things and now he's going down the route of the mental issues.

Thankfully the WADA code was developed by logical people and not Australian old timers that think "yeah nah...let them have some fun!" :drunk:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back