Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...If we got on a roll and actually managed to get a few wins in the run home, they would be priceless in terms of our rebuild. Whoever tells you they are meaningless has no idea

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wrote this a couple of weeks ago - couldn't agree more that the priority for any rebuilding club is to win games and develop a winning culture. Nothing binds players closer together and leads to on-field success then this.

I think there's 2 things that are quite distinct though regarding the situation we find ourselves in.
1. Those wanting North to lose so we can gain as high of a pick as possible
2. Those wanting other clubs cellar-dwelling alongside us to win

At no point this year have I wanted number 1. I have no issue admitting I was hoping Hawthorn would win last night and was pleased when they did.

Much has been written about Horne so I'm not going to mention anything about him outside of commenting that he's the best rounded number 1 pick in at least the last 15 years.

Much has been written about Horne so I'm not going to mention anything about him outside of commenting that he's the best rounded number 1 pick in at least the last 15 years.

I can't disagree with this.

It has nothing to do with North being a 70-80%+ chance of getting pick 1 as of right now either.

History might show me up, but I would not trade him for Harry McKay.

I can't disagree with this.

It has nothing to do with North being a 70-80%+ chance of getting pick 1 as of right now either.

History might show me up, but I would not trade him for Harry McKay.
It's an interesting dilemma to potentially have.

The Tasmanian kids train with us regularly. Jason Stephenson trained with us also. Most highly ranked juniors have a short training period with an AFL club, and Horne has the choice of 2 clubs.

I think pre-season training with an AFL club would be beneficial when they are younger, half way through their draft year is not going help them, particularly for players who are playing SANFL/VFL/WAFL. AFL clubs mid-season are mostly doing recovery/light training.

It would also help players who aren't in the top 25-50 who are going to get drafted anyway, they would be better off getting kids who are much further off getting up to speed, particularly country players who are often further behind because of a lack of training.

Agree, and the same goes for the VFL teams outside Vic being able to play while ours wither on the vine.
Really mixed feelings on that. On the one hand, it doesn't sit right that some teams get to play and others are stuck twiddling their thumbs. But on the other, should the AFL punish other players and teams that have a chance to get some footy under their belts, all in the name of fairness? If the shoe was on the other foot I'd be pissed if the AFL told us we couldn't play due to it not being fair on the others.

I'm erring on the side of having as many players playing as possible tbh, especially after we've seen just how behind the ball Victorian kids were after last year's shutdowns.

I think having so many players reject our club because it is a smaller club makes me inclined to swallow the pride somewhat and get the high calibre of marquee players that we have been missing for a long time into the door via the draft. Winning is great and it is the reason we watch the game, but we are suffering collective amnesia of what it is like being destroyed by A-Grade talent we have been denied access to and being stuck as a mid-table team for the better part of two decades.

I'd rather suck arse for a couple of years and address that rather than knowing we are going to be mediocre for another decade because we can't access the talent, even when offering way over market value.

Last edited:
It kind of pisses me off Horne trained with Port Adelaide a while ago for a week, he isn't a father-son, he isn't part of an Academy, why was he training with Port? We can't even get within 1km of a Vic junior, not allowed to give them a physical, not allowed to test them out, not allowed to do a medical.

I hate this one set of rules for Victoria and a different set of rules for everyone else.
Pretty sure TT did a bit of training with the boys before he was drafted, so it does happen.

This👍
I’m no draft expert, but I just don’t get the obsession with Horne on this board. History shows top 3 picks have about the same chance to turn out into a gun. I’d be very surprised if this sort of crap even entered Clarkson’s mind - he’d be trying to win every time and in the process set the standards and see who can take them forward and who can’t.

This weird obsession with the spoon is absolutely cringeworthy. If we got on a roll and actually managed to get a few wins in the run home, they would be priceless in terms of our rebuild. Whoever tells you they are meaningless has no idea

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure TT did a bit of training with the boys before he was drafted, so it does happen.

I don't mind TT as he was in our academy.

Horne is the favourite to go #1, he is playing SANFL, he doesn't need to spend a week at Port Adelaide. It isn't going to help him get drafted, he didn't need any help.

Perhaps I am over-sensitive after Swans pinched Blakey from us. I think there is just the danger of young men who spent a bit of time at a contender who end up at a rebuilding club could perhaps be vulnerable to the club's desire to lure the player home at some stage. Even if it wasn't an intentional plan, you would think that clubs by default would do it subconsciously.

I think the biggest issue for rebuilding teams will be player retention. We haven't had a huge issue with it in recent times but if our period of sucking arse is longer than anyone anticipated, that pressure will build and those who have been aggressively courted will be the more vulnerable.

I think it is why it is important we progress from rebuilding to performing as quick as possible. It will be a lot easier to resist attempts at our players if everyone buys in to what we are doing and where we are heading.

North>>>>hawks>swans> richmond

We’re winning the flag

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richmond>>Adelaide >>Melbourne

We really should be on top of the ladder.

On the other hand, both Freo and the Suns beat us by 50+ and are currently putting on a deplorable game in Perth.

The King brothers are overrated at this stage IMO. They struggle 1 on 1.

Max yes - he's a year behind and had injury issues. Ben no. There's an assumption that Ben will eventually tire of the Suns and come to play for the Saints. If that happens, and we don't get H.McKay, then we would be all over giving Ben something to think about that. But for 21yo tall forwards both have enormous up side. They will both be guns.

Horne is the favourite to go #1, he is playing SANFL, he doesn't need to spend a week at Port Adelaide. It isn't going to help him get drafted, he didn't need any help.

Perhaps I am over-sensitive after Swans pinched Blakey from us. I think there is just the danger of young men who spent a bit of time at a contender who end up at a rebuilding club could perhaps be vulnerable to the club's desire to lure the player home at some stage. Even if it wasn't an intentional plan, you would think that clubs by default would do it subconsciously.

I think the biggest issue for rebuilding teams will be player retention. We haven't had a huge issue with it in recent times but if our period of sucking arse is longer than anyone anticipated, that pressure will build and those who have been aggressively courted will be the more vulnerable.

I think it is why it is important we progress from rebuilding to performing as quick as possible. It will be a lot easier to resist attempts at our players if everyone buys in to what we are doing and where we are heading.
Most high draftees train with an AFL side without being drafted by that side, it gives them a taste of the professionalism of a club in the AFL

The King brothers are overrated at this stage IMO. They struggle 1 on 1.

Most kids with their level of development aren't even playing AFL yet.

I agree, winning must be the intent when stepping on the patch, accepting a loss because...fill in your chosen excuse...is sending an out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back