AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Eddie McGuire’s eyebrow raising excuse for partying at Gold Coast nightclub
Peter Rolfe
Herald Sun
Mon, 21 September 2020

A defiant Eddie McGuire says he was engaging in a reconnaissance mission in attending a Gold Coast nightspot on Saturday night.
McGuire was snapped at The Pink Flamingo, after he went out with his 19-year-old son, and has claimed that he was gathering information about how hospitality can operate under COVID-19 restrictions as Victoria endeavours to re-open.
“As you are well aware, I do a few different things in my life, including being on the board of Visit Victoria, and … speak extensively to people in the restaurant and hospitality industry about how we get Victoria going again,” McGuire said on Triple M on Monday morning.
“(That’s) part of what I was looking at the other night and how that all works.
“What I did was I booked a dinner on Saturday night – the last night that I’ve got, because the next four weeks I’m flat out doing Hot Seat and hosting and all sorts of different things. I went through the procedure on how you go about doing things if you are outside the hub.”
McGuire was slammed by Hawthorn counterpart and fellow league coronavirus cabinet member Jeff Kennett, and took a shot back.
“Is that the bloke who said that people act like ‘bogongs’?,” he said.
“That’s how in touch Jeff is on things at times, as opposed to ‘bogans’.”
McGuire affirmed that he is not part of the AFL or Collingwood hubs, which would have meant he would not be permitted to go out to such a venue.
“So just for clarity, I’m not in the Collingwood hub. It was (a reconnaissance mission), pretty much,” he said.
He said that he had been impressed by elements such as QR codes for check-in, bathroom procedures, temperature testing and seating allocations.
“(The people I was with) said, look, well, the best place we can show you is this place called the Pink Flamingo,” he said.
“There’s a photo of me, that was coming out of the place where these guys came over, someone took a photo, then I said ‘guys, please separate’, and then I took a photo with people on the way out the door. But don’t worry about that situation – it worked really well.
“My point is, the key part to all that was the social distancing, but also the coding on the way through
“The social tracing really worked well and there’s a real opportunity for us in Victoria to really have a look at what’s going on.”
Earlier Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett slammed McGuire after he was spotted partying on the Gold Coast.
Mr Kennett said it was “a hell of a contradiction’’ to be partying while players and officials were locked down.
“You can’t have one rule for one group of people and another rule for others,’’ he said.
“It looks silly. He probably hasn’t broken any Queensland laws but he has put himself again at the centre of attention where this issue of conflict of interest continues to raise its head. “While he is out there jiving at the Pink Flamingo, his players and coaches are in a hub breathing stale air.”
The nightclub bills its “high-end’’ Saturday experience as something that “will captivate partygoers into the wee hours of the morning’’. He posed for photos which were later posted on social media.
“I took my son and a couple of my crew from Hot Seat out for dinner and the people over at the restaurant said ‘come over and have a drink’,’’ McGuire said.
“My boy is 19, he hasn’t been out for the best part of six months so I took him across and bought him a beer.’’
The AFL last night said McGuire did not have a case to answer because he was not living in any of the league’s dedicated hubs.
After completing two weeks of quarantine, McGuire has based himself in Queensland until after the AFL Grand Final and will be part of the league’s All-Australian function on Wednesday.
He has previously criticised Richmond players Sydney Stack and Callum-Coleman Jones for breaking several league protocols in a fight outside a Gold Coast strip club.
“The idiot soup kicked in on them and they decided it was a good idea to break every rule they’ve been told for the last three months and as a result they got a full whack,” he said.
The Tigers duo were handed a 10-game suspension and Richmond was fined $100,000.
But McGuire said many footy identities, including AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan, were staying on the Gold Coast without being subject to strict hub rules.
“I’ve just come off the beach,’’ he said.
“There are a whole heap of people, like Gill, not in a hub.
“I’m up here basically as a television host.’’
That is magnificent. Getting pissed as a public service. Thanks Eddie.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf

Eddie McGuire’s eyebrow raising excuse for partying at Gold Coast nightclub
Peter Rolfe
Herald Sun
Mon, 21 September 2020

A defiant Eddie McGuire says he was engaging in a reconnaissance mission in attending a Gold Coast nightspot on Saturday night.
McGuire was snapped at The Pink Flamingo, after he went out with his 19-year-old son, and has claimed that he was gathering information about how hospitality can operate under COVID-19 restrictions as Victoria endeavours to re-open.
“As you are well aware, I do a few different things in my life, including being on the board of Visit Victoria, and … speak extensively to people in the restaurant and hospitality industry about how we get Victoria going again,” McGuire said on Triple M on Monday morning.
“(That’s) part of what I was looking at the other night and how that all works.
“What I did was I booked a dinner on Saturday night – the last night that I’ve got, because the next four weeks I’m flat out doing Hot Seat and hosting and all sorts of different things. I went through the procedure on how you go about doing things if you are outside the hub.”
McGuire was slammed by Hawthorn counterpart and fellow league coronavirus cabinet member Jeff Kennett, and took a shot back.
“Is that the bloke who said that people act like ‘bogongs’?,” he said.
“That’s how in touch Jeff is on things at times, as opposed to ‘bogans’.”
McGuire affirmed that he is not part of the AFL or Collingwood hubs, which would have meant he would not be permitted to go out to such a venue.
“So just for clarity, I’m not in the Collingwood hub. It was (a reconnaissance mission), pretty much,” he said.
He said that he had been impressed by elements such as QR codes for check-in, bathroom procedures, temperature testing and seating allocations.
“(The people I was with) said, look, well, the best place we can show you is this place called the Pink Flamingo,” he said.
“There’s a photo of me, that was coming out of the place where these guys came over, someone took a photo, then I said ‘guys, please separate’, and then I took a photo with people on the way out the door. But don’t worry about that situation – it worked really well.
“My point is, the key part to all that was the social distancing, but also the coding on the way through
“The social tracing really worked well and there’s a real opportunity for us in Victoria to really have a look at what’s going on.”
Earlier Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett slammed McGuire after he was spotted partying on the Gold Coast.
Mr Kennett said it was “a hell of a contradiction’’ to be partying while players and officials were locked down.
“You can’t have one rule for one group of people and another rule for others,’’ he said.
“It looks silly. He probably hasn’t broken any Queensland laws but he has put himself again at the centre of attention where this issue of conflict of interest continues to raise its head. “While he is out there jiving at the Pink Flamingo, his players and coaches are in a hub breathing stale air.”
The nightclub bills its “high-end’’ Saturday experience as something that “will captivate partygoers into the wee hours of the morning’’. He posed for photos which were later posted on social media.
“I took my son and a couple of my crew from Hot Seat out for dinner and the people over at the restaurant said ‘come over and have a drink’,’’ McGuire said.
“My boy is 19, he hasn’t been out for the best part of six months so I took him across and bought him a beer.’’
The AFL last night said McGuire did not have a case to answer because he was not living in any of the league’s dedicated hubs.
After completing two weeks of quarantine, McGuire has based himself in Queensland until after the AFL Grand Final and will be part of the league’s All-Australian function on Wednesday.
He has previously criticised Richmond players Sydney Stack and Callum-Coleman Jones for breaking several league protocols in a fight outside a Gold Coast strip club.
“The idiot soup kicked in on them and they decided it was a good idea to break every rule they’ve been told for the last three months and as a result they got a full whack,” he said.
The Tigers duo were handed a 10-game suspension and Richmond was fined $100,000.
But McGuire said many footy identities, including AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan, were staying on the Gold Coast without being subject to strict hub rules.
“I’ve just come off the beach,’’ he said.
“There are a whole heap of people, like Gill, not in a hub.
“I’m up here basically as a television host.’’

Even after reading the whole thing I am still struggling to believe this isn't some elaborate satire article by the Herald Sun.

Good lord :tearsofjoy:

images.jpeg

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
fu** off Eddie. Own it and resign you pathetic cretin.
I agree he should own it but why should he resign? He literally broke zero rules. Bad look and will make some of his staff/players roll their eyes? Yeah, but that's Ed for you.

Completely floggish to try and downplay it as doing some form of research or whatever nonsense he's claiming, but its perfectly legitimate to say he's not in a club or AFL hub and went to dinner and drinks with some colleagues and his son.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
When Eddie puts it like that, we should probably organise a government taxpayer funded agency, say one that deals with safe driving (just a random selection) to tip a generous donation into the coffers of his AFL club of choice on a yearly basis.

Just to say thank you and in appreciation of his selfless gesture to take such a brave move to benefit the many.

Eddie sans Frontieres - thank you.

jaspers_barber

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love watching Mason Cox. Makes me feel better about some of the blokes we’ve carried over the list few years 😂

SammyRoo

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely Pies should be interested in Brown. He's light years ahead of Cox.
You’d think so.

Although Cox triggered an additional year a few weeks ago for 2021 on his current deal (at $550k per year btw !?! May aswell throw that cash in the bin).

Collingwood have strong body players like De goey,Mihochek &Elliot. Brown would Suit that fwd line well

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nice to see Collingwood constantly do that thing we enjoy doing...the winning the centre clearance, handpassing 3 times in the centre square and then turning it over lol.

Port on the other hand and this is the difference between good sides and junk, if it’s on they will look for the release by hand in the middle, but often as soon as they get space they look for the deep kick inside 50 and instant pressure on the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back