Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
We might feel all warm and fuzzy over the Lions and their improvement since 2017. But....

For the second year running, neither 1st or 2nd has made the GF. Each time that involved Brisbane Lions.
Two years running they didn't lose a H&A game at the Gabba. Until losing 3 of 4 finals at the Gabba.
This year they played 16 of 19 games in Queensland and would have had a GF there too. But failed to make it.
In this finals system (2000-), only 3 sides have finished top 2, won their home QF, got the week off, hosted a PF and failed to make the GF (Adel 2006, PA 2020, BL 2020)

But whatever way you want to swing it. The Brisbane Lions of 2020 are a FAIL!!!!

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We might feel all warm and fuzzy over the Lions and their improvement since 2017. But....

For the second year running, neither 1st or 2nd has made the GF. Each time that involved Brisbane Lions.
Two years running they didn't lose a H&A game at the Gabba. Until losing 3 of 4 finals at the Gabba.
This year they played 16 of 19 games in Queensland and would have had a GF there too. But failed to make it.
In this finals system (2000-), only 3 sides have finished top 2, won their home QF, got the week off, hosted a PF and failed to make the GF (Adel 2006, PA 2020, BL 2020)

But whatever way you want to swing it. The Brisbane Lions of 2020 are a FAIL!!!!

Once in perhaps a lifetime deal to play your best footy at home all year, right up to the GF, and they just have faltered at the pivotal moments that show you they're a genuine side.

Port I think had more of a say in their credentials last night than Brisbane did at any point tonight, yet both teams in terms of age makeup and best 22's have very similar qualities, yet their missing something from them being on Geelong/Richmonds level. Port perhaps has the excuse because it was a wet game and they've beaten Richmond on their day before.

All in all clearly Brisbane isn't ready for the big time, but they're close. Very close, but it might become a GWS cautionary tale of too little too late.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

You lost me at warm

Some time ago in on the couch they highlighted 5 key metrics that to be a challenger you needed to be top 5 in the league of at least 3 of those metrics.

Brisbane and Port were not seen as challengers in this formula.

West Coast,Richmond and Geelong were.

I suppose it works and it should be these 5 metrics that are what we measure ourselves against.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
1602969647380.png

That’s the first time Brisbane has lost a prelim final to a team not called North Melbourne.

SammyRoo

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some time ago in on the couch they highlighted 5 key metrics that to be a challenger you needed to be top 5 in the league of at least 3 of those metrics.

Brisbane and Port were not seen as challengers in this formula.

West Coast,Richmond and Geelong were.

I suppose it works and it should be these 5 metrics that are what we measure ourselves against.
Do you remember what the 5 were ?

Do you remember what the 5 were ?

I took a screen shot when the were discussed on here earlier.

58179A6B-B2ED-4583-9983-3D646A354B59.jpeg

Dunno where we sit in them probably last.

Need to be top 5 in at least 3 of them.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I took a screen shot when the were discussed on here earlier.

View attachment 988465

Dunno where we sit in them probably last.

Need to be top 5 in at least 3 of them.

Based on those metrics I think we've been preparing our teams for the wrong sport for the last 20 years.

Snake wants an inquiry launched because every team he wants to win is nailed by the umps. lol.
Port would have won with fair umpiring. It was a disgrace. The ump called Rozee for staging at one point and you could see his jumper stretch from the Richmond player holding him. My guess was AFL wanted a Big Cat GF but got Geelong instead. Umpiring in the second last night was pretty obviously pro Bears. Unlike the first quarter.

Geelong deserved to win Richmond didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back