Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umps don't have the luxury of such scrutiny live. TBH I thought it was a reasonable call. Ump saw a player dive at the ball and punch it two handed directly over the line. Deliberate. I don't have any problem with the call as it happens live.
It was a shocking call in the last quarter of a tight PF.

It may have been deliberate but it may not cos his teammate was right there and he was contesting against multiple opposition players. If his teammate had kept momentum then he would have been within arms reach of the ball. To much doubt IMO to make that call in that moment of the game. The Tiger player pushed him square in the back as he fell to. THo neither free was really there IMO.

Either way that call did decide the game and it shouldn't have.

Hmmm. Would anybody here have paid a free against Rohan for that kick over the line? It liked deliberate to me.
The ump called "skill error" straight away, saying it come off the side of his boot. Maybe he had a good view.

Once upon a time I'd have assumed that but I trust umps even less these days.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Question is: Is it incompetence or is it something more sinister?

On Chamberlain, former AFL umpires boss Wayne Campbell has argued Chamberlain’s struggles with the bounce are “not his fault”.

“He is a bloody good umpire and a bloody good decision maker, but he’s got really short arms and he can’t bounce the ball high,” Campbell told SEN.

Well, who give a s**t. We aren't asking for him to buy us a beer. Just stop being a ponce and make yourself invisible. If we never see you again on a footy field the world will be a better place.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Question is: Is it incompetence or is it something more sinister?

On Chamberlain, former AFL umpires boss Wayne Campbell has argued Chamberlain’s struggles with the bounce are “not his fault”.

“He is a bloody good umpire and a bloody good decision maker, but he’s got really short arms and he can’t bounce the ball high,” Campbell told SEN.

Well, who give a sh*t. We aren't asking for him to buy us a beer. Just stop being a ponce and make yourself invisible. If we never see you again on a footy field the world will be a better place.

He carries out his agenda well, and that's all that matters to them.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The ump called "skill error" straight away, saying it come off the side of his boot. Maybe he had a good view.

Once upon a time I'd have assumed that but I trust umps even less these days.
I only watched until part way through Q2. I did hear one occasion where the ump called skill error, but the Rohan one was where he was chasing the ball and under a bit of pressure, however he gave up his attempt to take the ball and rolled his foot over it to get it across the boundary. Maybe the ump did call skill error but that is just an outright error if it's what happened. Rohan had nobody on front of him and as soon as he kicked the ball he pulled up.

Ironically the NRL has gone back to one ref this year & worked better.

Supported by an excellent video replay system (super slow mo cameras)
Been very good
Plus the play on/six again rule from penalties.

It's improved the game so much.

So if you kick goals more regularly than your opponent then you’re likely to win? Who would have thought.

Obviously.

Point is there are a million stats we can hone in on.

None of them matter unless they are contributing to us becoming top 5 in at least 3 of these.

I took a screen shot when the were discussed on here earlier.

View attachment 988465

Dunno where we sit in them probably last.

Need to be top 5 in at least 3 of them.
So three of those stats are "score more than the opposition does when you get the ball", and one is "stop your opposition scoring when they go forward". Kind of obvious really.

The last one is interesting. At least the game still revolves around contests.

I only watched until part way through Q2. I did hear one occasion where the ump called skill error, but the Rohan one was where he was chasing the ball and under a bit of pressure, however he gave up his attempt to take the ball and rolled his foot over it to get it across the boundary. Maybe the ump did call skill error but that is just an outright error if it's what happened. Rohan had nobody on front of him and as soon as he kicked the ball he pulled up.
That wasn't the one I was thinking of. I don't remember that one.

I took a screen shot when the were discussed on here earlier.

View attachment 988465

Dunno where we sit in them probably last.

Need to be top 5 in at least 3 of them.

I'll try to add more than just a smart arse comment.

Stats 1 and 5 are interesting. Turnovers come from poor skill or losing contests. Stat 5 is purely about the contested ball play whether it be marking or ground balls.

Our list management decisions are interesting in this context.

The middle three ... Well stat four is obvious. It is also interesting re Ben Brown and his low ratio of score from i50/kicks to him.

Stats 2 and 3 are obvious but it is interesting that goals from centre clearances seem irrelevant. Especially given the 6-6-6 rule.

We have (had?) two dominant tall players in their position in Goldy and Browny but both seem to add little to our chances of flags, Goldy cos winning Centre Clearances isn't important (tho he should be able to counter this with his around the ground work,) and Browny cos those CD stats released recently show he has a low ratio of scores from balls kicked to him. That counts against us in stat 4.

It was a shocking call in the last quarter of a tight PF.

It may have been deliberate but it may not cos his teammate was right there and he was contesting against multiple opposition players. If his teammate had kept momentum then he would have been within arms reach of the ball. To much doubt IMO to make that call in that moment of the game. The Tiger player pushed him square in the back as he fell to. THo neither free was really there IMO.

Either way that call did decide the game and it shouldn't have.
I really see it a lot simpler than that. Push in back was 50/50 at best but accept might have been an option. But in live play the bloke dived at the ball and punched it oob with two hands. Deliberate.

I'll try to add more than just a smart arse comment.

Stats 1 and 5 are interesting. Turnovers come from poor skill or losing contests. Stat 5 is purely about the contested ball play whether it be marking or ground balls.

Our list management decisions are interesting in this context.

The middle three ... Well stat four is obvious. It is also interesting re Ben Brown and his low ratio of score from i50/kicks to him.

Stats 2 and 3 are obvious but it is interesting that goals from centre clearances seem irrelevant. Especially given the 6-6-6 rule.

We have (had?) two dominant tall players in their position in Goldy and Browny but both seem to add little to our chances of flags, Goldy cos winning Centre Clearances isn't important (tho he should be able to counter this with his around the ground work,) and Browny cos those CD stats released recently show he has a low ratio of scores from balls kicked to him. That counts against us in stat 4.

Stat 1 we would be abysmal in. IIRC we performed poorly in our ability to create a turn over, and were scored heavily against from them.

The stats also point to the much debated "Plan B"

Stat 2 is points from the forward half, so the ability to apply forward half pressure.
Stat 3 is points from the back half, So the ability to transition the ball back to forward and score.

Given our apparent cutting of poor half back footskills it would appear we are looking to refresh for stat 3. Cleaner movement out of the back half.

Stat 2 highlights the absolute need for us to fix our small forward issues. I haven't looked at our stats here but I would think we are pretty poor at keeping it in there when it goes in there.

So it is not the smashing of 1 of these stats, it is the combination of them that points to flexibility of game style, having another method to go to when the first is being countered.

I mean sure people can go on about hurr hurr it means if you score more you win. which is overtly simplistic in terms of analysis. Top 5 in 3 out of 5 makes you a contender. We would be top 5 in none and very far away from anything. But if we track these stats it will at least show where we are looking to develop.

To that end if anyone knows of a free resource that gives these stats please share it.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Port would have won with fair umpiring. It was a disgrace. The ump called Rozee for staging at one point and you could see his jumper stretch from the Richmond player holding him. My guess was AFL wanted a Big Cat GF but got Geelong instead. Umpiring in the second last night was pretty obviously pro Bears. Unlike the first quarter.

Geelong deserved to win Richmond didn't.

Have to disagree ferbs. They could have won if they stopped blindly bombing it into their attacking 50. Richmond were better when it counted.

There is a rumour going around that the 2020 AFL season is still going and the Grand Final is yet to be played.

Could have fooled me. There was cricket (didja see what ABD did) & soccer (Welcome back Theo) on last night.

There is a rumour going around that the 2020 AFL season is still going and the Grand Final is yet to be played.

Could have fooled me. There was cricket (didja see what ABD did) & soccer (Welcome back Theo) on last night.

Bathurst & Bledisloe today, just counting down until Trade & Draft time

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Richmond ? No please - Cotch. Stagers. The Tiger Army. Dynasty. Caro 🧟‍♀️

Geelong ? No please - Danger. Gablett. Duckwood. Gerard / Dwayne barrack for them.

Could it have been worse ?

I won't be watching it. Is there any sheffield shield cricket on?

Here's a stat from Swamp

During the AFL era, 1990-2000 no interstate team has played in a grand final at the beginning of the decade

1990: Ess v Coll
2000: Ess v Mel
2010: Coll v St
2020: Rich v Geel

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Geelong are way more tolerable than Richmond.

Look I get the Danger thing but he's a gun and I'm also relieved we've never chased him only to get trumped by some off-books counteroffer.

Cotchin is infinitely more smug and protected than an already protected species in Selwood.

Hawkins is an exciting old school key forward who also seems a good bloke. Lynch is a 6'6" turd.

I know the odd ok cats fan. As for Richmond..

We have a historical link with Geelong while Richmond have tried to nuke us in the past and that's before we even get to the sniveling daughter of a past president.

Hopefully Geelong win by 1000 pts while Richmond lose several players post-game to long term gluteal injuries.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
mickey mouse year, mickey mouse grand final, mickey mouse premiers.

1603060621339.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back