Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not particularly interested in the guy one way or another, I find myself feeling a little uneasy that he has taken the fall and will now forever be remember as the person who is the face of Collingwood racism. I don’t believe Eddie is racist, should think before he speaks sometimes, but definitely not a racist.

Allan McAlister on the other hand....that’s the shame, growing up and remembering how despicable this club was in the 80s and a chunk of the 90s, it was no secret they refused bring in indigenous players until a certain point. Eddie had taken the whack for pretty much all of it now, even the stuff he wasnt there for.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Image of old Collingwood magazine emerging pretty embarrassing to their claims they didnt know Lamumba was known as the chimp, and the answer to the question "if i was an animal i would be" is pretty interesting as well. Do the players actually answer these questions?
View attachment 1054829
What that says is that he condoned them calling him that, that he was ok with it. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have mentioned it, knowing that was going to be published.

It was over 10 years ago, and times have changed, so I could understand why he wouldn't be happy with it now in retrospect.

Sounds like they’re going for Buckley now. There’s blood in the water and the angry mob won’t stop till they burn the joint to the ground. I wonder if it’ll stop at Collingwood tbh.

If Mcguire went Buckley has to as well imo.

They can come have a crack at us if they want.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What that says is that he condoned them calling him that, that he was ok with it. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have mentioned it, knowing that was going to be published.

It was over 10 years ago, and times have changed, so I could understand why he wouldn't be happy with it now in retrospect.

That's all good & well, but you can't go squealing about being a victim either.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Racists? Didnt Jose Romero go there from us?

Tony Liberatore was called a dirty wog every week and just laughed at whoever stated it. He was too mentally tough to let such inane bullshit unravel him mentally.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If they’re fair dinkum they’ll all do it

A group of adults needs written instructions to inform them that racist name calling is poor form?

Something like that would be the literal example of virtue signaling.

A group of adults needs written instructions to inform them that racist name calling is poor form?

Something like that would be the literal example of virtue signaling.
The problem with footy clubs is that you're not always dealing with groups of adults. For a start, each club has a group of highly impressionable teenagers with bugger all life experience brought in each and every year through the draft.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Jeez

Trade Preussy out
Get BBB in, he does his knee and won't run for 4-6 weeks
Weideman can't play for 10-12 weeks
Good thing their forward line wasn't a massive issue last season

Preuss wasn't really a forward though, so him leaving doesn't hurt them there.

A lot of pressure on Tom McDonald now. They'd be thanking their lucky stars that they didn't end up trading him out as well.
And they'd want Jackson to come on in a hurry.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not particularly interested in the guy one way or another, I find myself feeling a little uneasy that he has taken the fall and will now forever be remember as the person who is the face of Collingwood racism. I don’t believe Eddie is racist, should think before he speaks sometimes, but definitely not a racist.

Allan McAlister on the other hand....that’s the shame, growing up and remembering how despicable this club was in the 80s and a chunk of the 90s, it was no secret they refused bring in indigenous players until a certain point. Eddie had taken the whack for pretty much all of it now, even the stuff he wasnt there for.
I doubt Ed is any more racist than the average person, but you never know. At the end of the day we simply don't know what's going on inside anyone's head, and that works both ways.

I certainly agree with the sense of unease as to him ending up, rightfully or wrongfully, being the face of Collingwood's racist past. In some ways he is a scapegoat, but in others he fully brought it upon himself with the press conference last week. I think he could have easily survived this report and retired at the end of the year as planned, but his ego got the better of him.

I can’t see North having anything to worry about in that regard, but there would be nervous clubs

I can see EVERY club having something to worry about, including ours. I think it's naïve to think we wouldn't have had our own fair share of racist fans in the stands hurling abuse over the decades (We got raked over the coals for a bit over booing Adam Goodes, even if people can defend that behaviour), or that we haven't had some racist players/staff around the joint over the years.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I doubt Ed is any more racist than the average person, but you never know. At the end of the day we simply don't know what's going on inside anyone's head, and that works both ways.

He's a rich white male with a high profile, and any rich white male will do.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He certainly makes a nice scalp for the people out to get one, but lets not pretend that he's completely blameless.

Put a big enough magnifying glass on anyone and they're not blameless.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Put a big enough magnifying glass on anyone and they're not blameless.
True, but in this case I think him being pushed out simply comes down to his handling of the press conference last week. I don't think many people would have survived that unscathed if they acted in the same manner, regardless of their personal history, but Ed's blood was already in the water and he chose to handle it in the worst possible way.

He's consistently been his own worse enemy for the last decade, and it's a shame his football legacy is probably over and in such an indignant way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back