Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either that's a confusing article or I need another coffee.

So is it members of the SANFL Adelaide team that heard something and then informed their senior level counterpart?
That was my reading too but not sure? Pretty pleasing if that is the case - zero tolerance for racist crap being displayed, even from their own senior figures.

IIRC we gave her feedback to the effect of, if you want to coach this sport at the highest level you need some credentials in the sport.

according to her wiki page credentials she has not sought out.

I think that what we have seen over the last 2 years is that the head coach of an AFL club is like a senior executive at a business. Now the idea that any coach can just do it is kinda nuts to me.

I think she perhaps has watched too much Ted Lasso.

Collingwood are going to say no. I'd bet my house on it. They will likely follow our lead and take time to give her feedback. It really feels like it is less about the role and more about the headline and the fact that she does speaking for a living and this could drive interest.

If I go for a job at one place and get feedback on how to bridge the gap between where I am and getting the role. Then I do not act on that feedback and apply somewhere else, how would those same gaps not be present?

Do we think that Clarko would be able to coach the Aussie netballers and be any good at it or be trusted to do it? Or do you think they would go for someone more known to the sport?

Very sad... From memory, we were semi-keen on him in his draft year:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/659155/brain-trauma-forces-premiership-eagle-to-retire-at-just-22

Daniel Venables has been forced into retirement

WEST Coast premiership player Daniel Venables has been forced into premature retirement after an AFL medical panel unanimously recommended that he avoid contact sport, including Australian football.

The 22-year-old, who was the youngest member of the 2018 premiership team, has not played since suffering a brain trauma injury in a marking contest in round nine, 2019 against Melbourne at Optus Stadium.

He has continued to work towards resuming his career which was halted at just 21 games as a result of that incident more than two years ago.

Venables, who continues his daily battle with symptoms, addressed the playing group on Wednesday morning.

“It’s hard talking to all of your mates,” he said, moments after addressing a team meeting. “When I was practising I was alright, but when you get there it’s different.

“I’m sad, but I guess I’m relieved because the pressure’s off and now I can focus on my rehab. I’m not able to play again, so I can just concentrate on my health.
Wish him well and hope he can get back to a degree of normality

FORMER Adelaide captain Taylor Walker is out of Showdown 50 after not being considered for selection by the Crows.

Walker was absent from the Crows' training session at Adelaide Oval on Thursday, granted time off by the club.

"I understand there's really high level of interest in the football club at the moment but I hope you can understand and appreciate that I'm not in a position to make any comment this morning due to the fact it is a highly sensitive and highly confidential matter at the time being," Crows assistant coach Nathan van Berlo said.

"We had a discussion as a group but we're not going to go into details at this stage."

Presented without comment.

Anyone seen what Ted has allegedly said? He’s in massive sh*t if true. Ordinary and stupid if true. Trouble for him.
I've seen a couple of posts with a quote, and yea if true it's not defendable at all. That said, circumstances like these are when malicious rumourmongers are at their best, so I'll wait for something more than a bigfooty post or two before passing judgement.

However... The fact it supposedly was reported by Adelaide SANFL players to the club, and then to the AFL, and then leaked to the media, and then he hasn't shown up at training and isn't in the team... It's not exactly a good sign, though it does somewhat boggle my mind as to how the * it's taken so long to be investigated.

I've seen a couple of posts with a quote, and yea if true it's not defendable at all. That said, circumstances like these are when malicious rumourmongers are at their best, so I'll wait for something more than a bigfooty post or two before passing judgement.

However... The fact it supposedly was reported by Adelaide SANFL players to the club, and then to the AFL, and then leaked to the media, and then he hasn't shown up at training and isn't in the team... It's not exactly a good sign, though it does somewhat boggle my mind as to how the fu** it's taken so long to be investigated.
True true , re the rumour mongering. But if it is correct, I find it astounding from an AFL player. They would be more educated than the average person how much something like that would hurt plus they have seen the condemnation from others in past incidents.

I found this very entertaining review from Carlton supporters of our game.

Not sure where to post but I would love a North version of this each week.

However... The fact it supposedly was reported by Adelaide SANFL players to the club, and then to the AFL, and then leaked to the media, and then he hasn't shown up at training and isn't in the team... It's not exactly a good sign, though it does somewhat boggle my mind as to how the fu** it's taken so long to be investigated.
They are as human as the rest of us.

On the timing, it could be a case of only being reported now, etc.

Very sad... From memory, we were semi-keen on him in his draft year:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/659155/brain-trauma-forces-premiership-eagle-to-retire-at-just-22

Daniel Venables has been forced into retirement

WEST Coast premiership player Daniel Venables has been forced into premature retirement after an AFL medical panel unanimously recommended that he avoid contact sport, including Australian football.

The 22-year-old, who was the youngest member of the 2018 premiership team, has not played since suffering a brain trauma injury in a marking contest in round nine, 2019 against Melbourne at Optus Stadium.

He has continued to work towards resuming his career which was halted at just 21 games as a result of that incident more than two years ago.

Venables, who continues his daily battle with symptoms, addressed the playing group on Wednesday morning.

“It’s hard talking to all of your mates,” he said, moments after addressing a team meeting. “When I was practising I was alright, but when you get there it’s different.

“I’m sad, but I guess I’m relieved because the pressure’s off and now I can focus on my rehab. I’m not able to play again, so I can just concentrate on my health.

Very sad.

As much as it disappoints people, people need to stop referring to "the good old days' everytime we have a collision in footy. Unfortunately the game has to change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The AFL has requested the WA Government draw up contingency plans to stage the grand final and finals matches at Optus Stadium.

League bosses inquired about potentially moving football’s showpiece to Perth after Victoria was plunged back into a seven-day lockdown to contain yet another COVID-19 outbreak.

The cluster of Delta variant cases has thrown into doubt plans for large crowds to be permitted in Melbourne by the time the finals start in the first weekend of September.

There’s only 50 days until the grand final — pencilled in for Saturday, September 25 — and it appears increasingly unlikely 100,000 fans will be allowed to pack into the MCG.

“As we have shown last year and this year, WA and Optus Stadium offer some of the best facilities and the safest environment for major events,” a State Government spokesman said.

“The AFL has now approached Optus Stadium to develop a potential contingency plan for the AFL grand final and potential AFL finals."

Worst captain in VFL/AFL history, even though he's no longer in that role.
I thought he was a good strong leader for them when they were up and about.

Completely unrelated to his present situation obviously.

Agree with King Corey, think I can name more than a few to take that mantle, Walker when they were good wasn't on that list...

Tex doing the team thing and helping them tank to pick up horne :mad:

In all seriousness though, a 6 week ban, 20 k "donation", community service, public embarrassment etc etc etc. Genuinely curious as to whether Adelaide might try and delist him, because that's one hell of a walking scandal to carry into next year.

I thought he was a good strong leader for them when they were up and about.

Completely unrelated to his present situation obviously.
Posting in the scandals thread on this, which is a culture war nightmare, I thought the punishment fitted the crime on this one. Very learning and reconciliation based and a charity gets a bit of money.

Posting in the scandals thread on this, which is a culture war nightmare, I thought the punishment fitted the crime on this one. Very learning and reconciliation based and a charity gets a bit of money.

I don't know what he said, if there isn't any backlash to the punishment it sounds like the repercussions were appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back