Status
Not open for further replies.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Either index these things for all states, for all clubs, or for none. fu** off with this selective on again off again bullshit. We all know the real motivation behind it.
With all the news about Tasmania's housing costs and the state of the economy there can you imagine how much COLA allowance would be needed to set up a team down there on the apple isle?

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With all the news about Tasmania's housing costs and the state of the economy there can you imagine how much COLA allowance would be needed to set up a team down there on the apple isle?
It would be a shitshow if they genuinely did try to index the various caps against specific expenses, with a hell of a lot of drama and screaming to play out. But frankly I'd prefer that over the current approach which is best summed up as an attempt to find material advantages for specific clubs/regions. Even if we, and Melbourne clubs in general, were comparatively and substantially worse off than we are now I would still prefer a genuine attempt at equalisation than the s**t the league serves up currently. It's pure lip service to push their own interests, and I loathe that type of thing.

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It would be a shitshow if they genuinely did try to index the various caps against specific expenses, with a hell of a lot of drama and screaming to play out. But frankly I'd prefer that over the current approach which is best summed up as an attempt to find material advantages for specific clubs/regions. Even if we, and Melbourne clubs in general, were comparatively and substantially worse off than we are now I would still prefer a genuine attempt at equalisation than the sh*t the league serves up currently. It's pure lip service to push their own interests, and I loathe that type of thing.
I can already here Nisbetts when the west has a lower index demanding a market allowance to retain talent.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No sh*t.

I genuinely don't even understand the rationale for them asking. Players retire all the time for various reasons, since when does the league hand out picks for ANY of them?
trying to complain and say that its a govt/afl mandated thing and they should be compensated.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
trying to complain and say that its a govt/afl mandated thing and they should be compensated.
The soft cap has been slashed while we're at the start of a rebuild (ie when development is most key), negatively affecting us more than most. That's an AFL mandated thing. When do we get our compensation?

While I am far from a fan of the mandates, no one has actually forced Jones to retire. There was an option on the table for him to continue his career. I respect his decision but it's pretty ballsy of Carlton to seek compensation.

Some situations are just s**t, and you have to live with it. No idea how popular my sentiment is but I find Carlton asking for compensation to be mildly pathetic.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sydney clubs granted special cost of living pay bonus for staff

The AFL’s two NSW clubs can pay some staff an extra $7000 outside the football department soft cap to combat soaring housing prices in Sydney.

The AFL has given its two Sydney clubs the scope to spend extra money on staff outside the football department soft cap to help combat soaring house prices.

News Corp understands GWS Giants and Sydney Swans have been permitted to pay some staff an extra $7000 each as part of an accommodation allowance for next season.

Across approximately 20 staff at each club it is worth about an extra $140,000 per year outside the football department soft cap.

But the allowance must be club-funded and can only be used on full-time staff who earn under $250,000 a year.

The assistance has been gratefully received by the two clubs, but discussions remain ongoing about whether more is required to help keep quality staff at the Swans and Giants.

Both clubs face a fight to retain staff in Sydney in the face of soaring house prices and increased cost of living expenses compared with other states such as South Australia, and regional areas such as Geelong.

The clubs believe it costs about 30 per cent more to live in Sydney than other areas.

After losing highly-rated assistant coach Lenny Hayes last year, the Giants were unable to keep assistant coach Adam Schneider, who last week left the game due, in part, to the cost of living in Sydney.

he Giants are working on a replacement to help support head coach Leon Cameron for next season.

The Giants and Swans in 2014 lost their Cost Of Living Allowance which allowed them to pay players outside the cap after the Swans pulled off a blockbuster bid for Lance Franklin.

But the Giants in particular have been calling on the AFL to help support the club’s attempts to better remunerate staff and keep up with housing costs.

It was made more difficult last year when the soft cap was slashed from $9.7 million to $6 million in the wake of the COVID-19 financial crisis, but that is set to rise by about $250,000 for 2022.

So they get draft help via their academy AND living allowances?
Are they going to get compensation when buddy finally retires too?
Come on now.

Sydney clubs granted special cost of living pay bonus for staff

The AFL’s two NSW clubs can pay some staff an extra $7000 outside the football department soft cap to combat soaring housing prices in Sydney.

The AFL has given its two Sydney clubs the scope to spend extra money on staff outside the football department soft cap to help combat soaring house prices.

News Corp understands GWS Giants and Sydney Swans have been permitted to pay some staff an extra $7000 each as part of an accommodation allowance for next season.

Across approximately 20 staff at each club it is worth about an extra $140,000 per year outside the football department soft cap.

But the allowance must be club-funded and can only be used on full-time staff who earn under $250,000 a year.

The assistance has been gratefully received by the two clubs, but discussions remain ongoing about whether more is required to help keep quality staff at the Swans and Giants.

Both clubs face a fight to retain staff in Sydney in the face of soaring house prices and increased cost of living expenses compared with other states such as South Australia, and regional areas such as Geelong.

The clubs believe it costs about 30 per cent more to live in Sydney than other areas.

After losing highly-rated assistant coach Lenny Hayes last year, the Giants were unable to keep assistant coach Adam Schneider, who last week left the game due, in part, to the cost of living in Sydney.

he Giants are working on a replacement to help support head coach Leon Cameron for next season.

The Giants and Swans in 2014 lost their Cost Of Living Allowance which allowed them to pay players outside the cap after the Swans pulled off a blockbuster bid for Lance Franklin.

But the Giants in particular have been calling on the AFL to help support the club’s attempts to better remunerate staff and keep up with housing costs.

It was made more difficult last year when the soft cap was slashed from $9.7 million to $6 million in the wake of the COVID-19 financial crisis, but that is set to rise by about $250,000 for 2022.

download.jpg

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good, it'll give Tarryn an opportunity to even up with the weak sniping dog.

Thomas hits hard for his size. For all his tricks and skill he’s as hard as a cats head. Still if I had a choice, I’d love to see Ziebell put him down. If Ziebell was playing a couple of decades earlier and was able to lay people out like we saw Pickett do, Ziebell would have a body count.

Doubt Mumford gets picked up though. I actually don’t mind Mumford. He gives 100% every time he plays but he’s done imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back