Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopper10

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2012
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just back to Appt after the game. A few things, 1. Carltank supporter are a special breed. 2. McDonald May haunt us in our sleep for years. 3. Blakey is an absolute gun with ball in hand coming out, Swans academy can GAGF.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Just back to Appt after the game. A few things, 1. Carltank supporter are a special breed. 2. McDonald May haunt us in our sleep for years. 3. Blakey is an absolute gun with ball in hand coming out, Swans academy can GAGF.
McDonald will likely have a decent AFL career. My only concern is illness/injury stopping Phillips from his.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Blues have been kissed on the dick with their draw, though.

By next week, they will have played last year's bottom seven sides (except for themselves, of course), and only one of the top four.

And of last year's finalists, they've jagged * and GWS, both of whom are rubbish this year.

Meanwhile, playing Melbourne means we'll have played all of last year's top six inside the first ten rounds.

Not sure how that happens....

Blues have been kissed on the dick with their draw, though.

By next week, they will have played last year's bottom seven sides (except for themselves, of course), and only one of the top four.

And of last year's finalists, they've jagged * and GWS, both of whom are rubbish this year.

Meanwhile, playing Melbourne means we'll have played all of last year's top six inside the first ten rounds.

Not sure how that happens....
2023: Blues bank all on going deep in finals… recruit players left, right & centre
2024: Blues fail to make finals
2025: Blues sack coach and rebuild
CBB8C826-68BC-4248-9B7E-B6A12D6F87D0.gif

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jack Silvagni must be one of the all time anonymous players. Cept for his surname.
He'll do a couple of good things (like pinch hitting in the ruck) and the commentary team will rave about it for weeks.

I've never seen the AFL want to ram a player down our thoats as much as they do with silvagni. Post match interviews just because his dad's in the crowd. Half time segments with cripps.

Average footy player that has perfected the art of looking like he's given every inch of energy whenever he's near the ball.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He'll do a couple of good things (like pinch hitting in the ruck) and the commentary team will rave about it for weeks.

I've never seen the AFL want to ram a player down our thoats as much as they do with silvagni. Post match interviews just because his dad's in the crowd. Half time segments with cripps.

Average footy player that has perfected the art of looking like he's given every inch of energy whenever he's near the ball.
Jack Silvagni = The AFLW

Did I just say that?

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Why do you watch a sport you hate so much?
This is actually a good question, Maverino.
I ask myself the same thing.
THere was a time when I loved the game, thought it was easily best sport on the planet. Free flowing, exciting, skilful. I watched as much as I could.
Now I watch North games, grr, and just bits and pieces. Would have watched 15 minutes of last night.
In it's prime, AFL footy had a handful of main rules - in the back, holding the ball, too high, running too far and so on. We could complain about decisions, but at least we understood them.
Now we have dissent, contact below knees, ruck nominations, stand rule, protected area, insufficient intent, front on contact, chopping of the arms, etc. Most of which have added nothing to the game and sought only to make officiating a dog's breakfast.
And we have one umpire who is clearly not up to the level being selected as a PR stunt.
And then Kingy on 360 during week says not enough teams are scoring from defensive kick ins, and AFL needs to do something about that. Why????
It's not the same game I grew up watching, sadly. But it's in my blood and so I keep watching, but not like I used to.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
McDonald will likely have a decent AFL career. My only concern is illness/injury stopping Phillips from his.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My only concern is that McDonald went to a club with a proven track record of developing young players and/or fitting them into their system/structure that even if they don't become stars, they become good role players that make the team better. Phillips went to North Melbourne.

This is actually a good question, Maverino.
I ask myself the same thing.
THere was a time when I loved the game, thought it was easily best sport on the planet. Free flowing, exciting, skilful. I watched as much as I could.
Now I watch North games, grr, and just bits and pieces. Would have watched 15 minutes of last night.
In it's prime, AFL footy had a handful of main rules - in the back, holding the ball, too high, running too far and so on. We could complain about decisions, but at least we understood them.
Now we have dissent, contact below knees, ruck nominations, stand rule, protected area, insufficient intent, front on contact, chopping of the arms, etc. Most of which have added nothing to the game and sought only to make officiating a dog's breakfast.
And we have one umpire who is clearly not up to the level being selected as a PR stunt.
And then Kingy on 360 during week says not enough teams are scoring from defensive kick ins, and AFL needs to do something about that. Why????
It's not the same game I grew up watching, sadly. But it's in my blood and so I keep watching, but not like I used to.
Agree with a lot of that. Not sure if it’s just getting older or what but like you I don’t watch nearly as much footy as I used to. (I do spend a lot of time watching my kids footy so that makes it harder) I do the ESPN Flexi footy tipping and had 100 points on Blues last night so it was worth watching.

But a lot of these rules have been introduced BECAUSE the game was changing. The chopping of the arms is the classic example. Defenders stopped trying to spoil the ball and just chopped the arms. Protected zone is another one. Players were deliberately running past the player with the ball to stop them from playing on quickly. The same with the stand rule. These are tactics introduced by players and coaches that have changed the game.

But your right in that the rules the AFL introduce aren’t thought through, or trialed enough. And when one rule is trialed, ie last touch in SANFL, they don’t introduce it but just make the rule grayer. We’ve always yelled at the umps, never has someone walked away from a game saying how good was the umpiring, but we have to stop blaming the umps and attack the AFL and the rules, not the umps. As you said, there seems to be more and more grey areas, which goes back to my point the AFL doesn’t think through rule changes. But we have to stop blaming the umps. This is why the decent rule is there. I witnessed a 16 year old kid call a 18 year old ump dog s**t after a game. And the ump was too young to want to cause a confrontation and report the kid. I, as the goal ump, said I would but he didn’t want me to and just put a report in. This has to stop and the AFL is sending the message.

So maybe calm down on the umpire bashing and make your voice heard to the AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back