Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what, fair call, I can appreciate that. Footy is garbage.

Out of interest, if ya can be bothered, give me ya best midfielder....of all time or even just last 30-40 years.
There‘s been some pretty special ones.
Judd
Voss
Buckley
Fyfe
M Rioli
Hird.....mightn‘t qualify as a mid....pretty bloody good player, sh*t bloke though
Diesel Williams
Goodes

Barry Cable, Leigh Matthews, Kevin Bartlett, Garry Wilson, John Platten, Robert Harvey, Garry Hocking and all of those that you mentioned are better "midfielders" than Martin. Martyn's greatest asset is that he can slip forward with superb effectiveness due to a mostly blue collar pressure midfield. They make him.

If Cameron doesn't fire, Brisbane's forward line doesn't function. I can't remember a game where Hipwood has taken it by the scruff of the neck and dominated. Lions need him to fire if they want to get close to Richmond.
Hipwood is the most overrated player in the game. The average fan shouldn't even be aware of him.

Pressure, pressure, pressure around the middle, get the opposition to bomb long forward, cover the air with the defensive wall (their actual greatest asset), and then grind the thing up the ground, bringing the wall up behind it, and utilise that pressure around the ball on the way out to drive it back in and get more shots on goal.

That's the Richmond game plan in a nutshell, and it's built on quick pressure players and an aerial defensive wall. Nothing else.

We showed them last year what happens when you take that midfield pressure up a cog and cross the line in to violence. They go back in their shells. A side like West Coast is very well set up to beat them also.They have a bottom 6 of largely untalented players that would drop in to obscurity if not for that game plan, and it's a blight on modern football that such a side could win two premierships.

Pretty much.

I wish we won two of the last three premierships, were minor premiers in the other year and a genuine chance to win it this year.

Pretty much.

I wish we won two of the last three premierships, were minor premiers in the other year and a genuine chance to win it this year.

Of course, and I would prefer to do it with something that actually resembles football, and not some endurance based skirmish crap.

After listening to the wireless this a.m. my greatest pleasure from 2020 may come from listening to Tiggy supporters ringing up in droves complaining about having to play " their " grand final interstate.

God l hope it's in Perth..

Make it in Perth with West Coast winning 99 - 1.

That'll do me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back