Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meth ruined my life, says former Carlton and Richmond AFL star Chris Yarran
c2d698666082e0598e2bfd61dffa232c

Chris Robinson, PerthNow
an hour ago
c2d698666082e0598e2bfd61dffa232c

FORMER AFL star Chris Yarran has opened up about the ice addiction that ruined his footy career – and how turning to religion helped change his life.

In a frank video interview, the Swan Districts product and former Carlton and Richmond speedster described how drugs had “ruined” him ahead of his departure from the Tigers in November last year.

Yarran credited the Potters House Christian Fellowship Church, who produced the video, for helping him beat addiction and turn his life around.

After making 119 AFL appearances, the 26-year-old said an introduction to ice by a family member started his downward spiral.

“By the eighth year (of my career) – that was when my life started to fall apart,” Yarran said.

“I was introduced to methamphetamines by a family member.

“Drugs were something I despised my whole life.

“I remember as I was about to try ice, I said to myself: 'This will either be just a good night, or it will ruin me'.

Chris Yarran Testimony
“It ruined me.”

Yarran said the toll of his addiction had been severe, impacting most aspects of his life.

“It destroyed my relationship, my career, my finances, my health, physically and mentally,” Yarran said.

“I went from a fit, healthy athlete to a slob.

“I stacked on the weight, and that’s when I started to miss training, because I didn’t want to be seen in the messed-up state I was in.

“I would be awake for days, and that started to take a toll.

“I remember sitting in my bathroom for hours smoking meth, isolating myself from everyone, and that’s when my mind would take over.

“Once I didn’t get a kick out of smoking, that’s when I started injecting it.”

Even a four-week stint in rehab didn’t help, with Yarran saying, “The day I walked out, I was back on meth.”

Yarran said things finally changed when he “met God” and accepted religion into his life.

“The moment I accepted Jesus Christ as my lord and saviour, everything changed,” he said.

“The darkness was gone, replaced with a light that gives me joy and peace.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A club has finally managed to outdo Hawthorn with the dog levels of the Jon Hay trade.

Trading a full blown meth addict (with full knowledge of it, according to Neil Balme) for a first round pick, Richmond aren't allowed access to his medical history, only perform a medical on him, is pretty ******* low.

The fact Carlton dug their heels on over that deal as well, they should be castrated by the media over this...I've barely heard a whimper about it.

It's so good watching Sloane, Kennedy and Parker going at it. Probably my 3 Favourite players outside of north.

Also how good has Matt Crouch been this year? Everyone said he didn't have a tank and wouldn't adjust to the speed of AFL yet now he is consistently racking up 30+ touches a game.

If crouch can develop His tank and running then has why the * can't Ziebell and Cunners run out a game yet?

We know that St Kilda have 5 Jacks named to play against us on Sunday, and another in the emergency list, but I find it curious that there are multiples of some less uncommon first names in tonight's game as well:

Adelaide: 3 x Rory
Sydney: 2 x Callum

Weird that certain teams have repeated first names like that.

We know that St Kilda have 5 Jacks named to play against us on Sunday, and another in the emergency list, but I find it curious that there are multiples of some less uncommon first names in tonight's game as well:

Adelaide: 3 x Rory
Sydney: 2 x Callum

Weird that certain teams have repeated first names like that.
North: 3(+) x Shaun Higgins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back