Oppo Camp The Non-North FOOTY DISCUSSION ONLY & Matchday Chat Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

to his credit at least he wasn’t littering. and FWIF 600 bucks for pissing in a bin is a little steep for my liking.

Yeah I woulda been down for the entire North playing list to load up on water then paint the Holden Centre yellow. Could have invited the media, perhaps make it an annual event.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t in the AFL in 10 years”

By SEN 14 minutes ago

Former Gold Coast defender Campbell Brown has sent a warning to his ex-club, declaring he wouldn’t be shocked if they weren’t in the competition if they don’t have success soon. The Suns are yet to make the finals in their existence, and have struggled to attract crowds, TV audiences and media coverage in Queensland. Numerous sporting clubs have been engulfed and swallowed by the Gold Coast market, and Brown believes the Suns could fall into that trap.

However, the current crop of decision makers they have at the helm could be their saving grace, according to the 2008 premiership player. “I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t in the AFL in 10 years if they don’t get this next era right,” Brown told SEN Breakfast. “The AFL can’t keep pumping tens of millions of dollars into a club that’s seemingly going nowhere at the moment. Where they’re at right now is magnificent, they’ve got a really good and strong president in Tony Cochrane, who I love because he reminds me of Jeff Kennett. He demands success, keeps everyone accountable and that’s what they need. “Mark Evans as the CEO is superb. Stuart Dew is an unknown, but it’s a fresh start, and if he is a good coach, they have a really good spine of being a successful club. I don’t know if it’s too late or not, but they must do everything in their power to keep Tom Lynch.”

Brown has faith in the Suns’ new head coach, saying his former teammate’s premiership pedigree will be a welcome addition of the Gold Coast culture. “When a new coach comes in, it’s a good time to say, I don’t care about what’s happened in the past, this is how we go about it from here on in,” he said. “These are my standards, team rules and my disciplines. I have no pre-conceived ideas on any of the players, I’m just going to watch you for the next six-to-eight weeks, the way you prepare, train and go about it, and then I’ll make up my mind. “Probably the reason Gold Coast lent towards Stuart Dew over John Barker in the end is because he has won premierships as a coach and player. He went to Port Adelaide and they were successful, came to Hawthorn and won a flag, went to Sydney and won a flag and made numerous finals. “When push came to shove, they lent towards the guy that had been around success.”

The Suns face a horror start to 2018, with their home venue Metricon Stadium unavailable for the first 11 weeks due to the Commonwealth Games. Gold Coast is scheduled to play home games in Perth against Fremantle, Cairns, Brisbane and Shanghai. Between Rounds 4-7, Dew needs to negotiate a month that includes trips to Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide and Ballarat.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11...rised-if-they-weren't-in-the-afl-in-10-years/

No one would but will the Pies now get rid of him? I'd get Marley to get into his ear from now.

I doubt it mate.

It's ridiculous that it's even considered newsworthy.

Former Gold Coast defender Campbell Brown has sent a warning to his ex-club, declaring he wouldn’t be shocked if they weren’t in the competition if they don’t have success soon.

Wouldn't make one iota of difference. I'm sure it won't stop Keane and his meddling corporate twats from plying cash and concessions aplenty into the corpse.

If they eventually get the zombie up and running for a flag they can call their Weekend at Bernies premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE NBL has confirmed that some AFL clubs are keen on creating their own basketball team to be part of the league’s expansion, with two Melbourne-based AFL clubs reportedly the front-runners.

NBL owner Larry Kestelman wants to expand the league by up to four teams in the coming years. And the league is keen for some AFL clubs to add basketball departments so they can also run NBL teams in the coming years.

Fox Footy and Fox Sports NBL commentator Dwayne Russell reported on Sportsday radio on Monday night that two Melbourne-based AFL clubs were the front-runners to enter teams into the soon-to-be-expanded NBL.

Russell said Collingwood, which already has both a netball team and AFLW side, had shown interest in owning a basketball team as the NBL seeks a second Melbourne-based franchise to enter the competition.

Fremantle also looms as a viable option to be a second WA-based NBL team off the back of the Perth Wildcats’ success, which has seen them attract over 15,000 fans to most home games so far this season.

“The NBL is reportedly speaking to half a dozen interested AFL clubs. Not all of them are in Melbourne, one of them is in Western Australia I’m told,” Russell told Sportsday.

“The Melbourne Storm may even be a contender to own an NBL team as well.”

Russell said he had spoken with Kestleman, who is keen to follow a model from Europe where soccer and basketball teams have the one owner.

“They’re the one franchise (in Europe) and it works because it brings a massive membership base to a new team,” Russell said.

“Collingwood, for example, has 75,000 AFL members and if 10 to 15 per cent of them like basketball, you already have a crowd for the new team, a supporter base for the new team.”

The Magpies, as well as the GWS Giants, have added netball arms to their operations in recent years, adding netball teams into the Australian domestic competition.

NBL chief executive Jeremy Loeliger said it was “a bit early at this stage” to name interested clubs, but did admit that a few “had really put their hands up and were quite keen”.

“There’s no mystery as to why it makes good commercial sense and I guess there’s nothing new about the conversations either, other than the fact that they’re starting to gain a bit of momentum now,” Loeliger told Sportsday radio.

“There’ve been discussions over quite some period with a number of AFL clubs and it’s building momentum now because the competition is better than it’s ever been and with talk of expansion hotting up, some of the real contenders are stepping forward.

“It makes a lot of sense to utilise assets across a sporting club for 12 months of the year. It just so happens to be that there’s no overlap between our respective seasons — the NBL and the AFL — and of course the same applies to the NRL.”

Loeliger said a big reason behind the push for AFL clubs to jump on the basketball bandwagon is the sharing of resources and expertise.

“They’ve got a membership sales team, they’ve got a marketing team, a social media team and, really importantly, they’ve got physical trainers, physios, nutritionists — all of whom can be put to task just as equally on a basketball team as they could ion a football team,” Loeliger said.

Loeliger also revealed that it wasn’t just sporting clubs who’d shown interest in NBL expansion, saying some NBA players have “expressed some interest”, as well as “prominent members of the business community”.

THE NBL has confirmed that some AFL clubs are keen on creating their own basketball team to be part of the league’s expansion, with two Melbourne-based AFL clubs reportedly the front-runners.

NBL owner Larry Kestelman wants to expand the league by up to four teams in the coming years. And the league is keen for some AFL clubs to add basketball departments so they can also run NBL teams in the coming years.

Fox Footy and Fox Sports NBL commentator Dwayne Russell reported on Sportsday radio on Monday night that two Melbourne-based AFL clubs were the front-runners to enter teams into the soon-to-be-expanded NBL.

Russell said Collingwood, which already has both a netball team and AFLW side, had shown interest in owning a basketball team as the NBL seeks a second Melbourne-based franchise to enter the competition.

Fremantle also looms as a viable option to be a second WA-based NBL team off the back of the Perth Wildcats’ success, which has seen them attract over 15,000 fans to most home games so far this season.

“The NBL is reportedly speaking to half a dozen interested AFL clubs. Not all of them are in Melbourne, one of them is in Western Australia I’m told,” Russell told Sportsday.

“The Melbourne Storm may even be a contender to own an NBL team as well.”

Russell said he had spoken with Kestleman, who is keen to follow a model from Europe where soccer and basketball teams have the one owner.

“They’re the one franchise (in Europe) and it works because it brings a massive membership base to a new team,” Russell said.

“Collingwood, for example, has 75,000 AFL members and if 10 to 15 per cent of them like basketball, you already have a crowd for the new team, a supporter base for the new team.”

The Magpies, as well as the GWS Giants, have added netball arms to their operations in recent years, adding netball teams into the Australian domestic competition.

NBL chief executive Jeremy Loeliger said it was “a bit early at this stage” to name interested clubs, but did admit that a few “had really put their hands up and were quite keen”.

“There’s no mystery as to why it makes good commercial sense and I guess there’s nothing new about the conversations either, other than the fact that they’re starting to gain a bit of momentum now,” Loeliger told Sportsday radio.

“There’ve been discussions over quite some period with a number of AFL clubs and it’s building momentum now because the competition is better than it’s ever been and with talk of expansion hotting up, some of the real contenders are stepping forward.

“It makes a lot of sense to utilise assets across a sporting club for 12 months of the year. It just so happens to be that there’s no overlap between our respective seasons — the NBL and the AFL — and of course the same applies to the NRL.”

Loeliger said a big reason behind the push for AFL clubs to jump on the basketball bandwagon is the sharing of resources and expertise.

“They’ve got a membership sales team, they’ve got a marketing team, a social media team and, really importantly, they’ve got physical trainers, physios, nutritionists — all of whom can be put to task just as equally on a basketball team as they could ion a football team,” Loeliger said.

Loeliger also revealed that it wasn’t just sporting clubs who’d shown interest in NBL expansion, saying some NBA players have “expressed some interest”, as well as “prominent members of the business community”.
Haha Collingwood. Every Collingwood supporter I know would suggest they focus on their main job as a footy team before expanding further.

Haha Collingwood. Every Collingwood supporter I know would suggest they focus on their main job as a footy team before expanding further.

Stop holding them back.

Water polo, basketball, dressage, B-Boy crews (hang on, they actually did do that..) - the sky's the limit. I hope they diversify extensively because they are afterall the biggest club in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back