The North Fitzroy Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for giving us Carl Dilena. He is turning out to be a great leader at North.

I don't think Fitzroy "gave" you Carl Dilena. He was delisted by Fitzroy after 23 games and picked up in the 1991 pre-season draft by North. North delisted him at the end of the 1992 season, after he managed to play 10 senior games. In his final season of 1992, he played two games.

what was the logo for North-Fitzroy going to look like (rumors), plus the jumper too (again rumors)

what was the logo for North-Fitzroy going to look like (rumors), plus the jumper too (again rumors)

From the official Heads of Agreement between Fitzroy and North Melbourne

• The name of the new club shall be "North Fitzroy Kangaroos". The logo of the new club will be a kangaroo and a lion holding a football together in a shield.
  • The new club will have a new jumper which substantially incorporates the present colours of FFC [red, royal blue and gold] and NMC [royal blue and white] (in approximately equal proportions) in a style which is appropriate to the 1990's which will create an effective merchandising presence.
  • The jumper will have a small gold Fitzroy lion on the left breast.

a 17 club comp starting in 1997 with both Fitzroy and Port Adelaide competing would have been fine.... still 8 games per round, only with a bye... would have been like 2011 with each side getting two byes - 24 rounds... the world would have kept turning, Up Yours Oakley

If Fitzroy survived, one would have to wonder where the AFL would have gone with #18 by the late 2000s... Gold Coast or Western Sydney? I'm leaning towards Gold Coast with the NRL's Titans making a push there while the region can claim expats from VIC, SA, TAS etc.... the Bears would have still have probably had a 3-peat to keep AFL on the sporting radar in SEQ.... while western Sydney would have still been left in the too hard basket and considered more of a pipe dream (multiple NRL sides and the emerging soccer stronghold to compete with)...

Fitzroy = No GWS, at least not right now, while one side in Gold Coast gets all the special perks all on their own to make them competitive early

with an extra side in Melbourne compared to now, Princes Park would possibly still be used for a few token lower drawing games to accommodate 3 Melbourne games on the one day

Last edited:
Still would have been an eventual merger or relocation.

I don't think there would have.

The League seen what happened after the Lions/Bears merge and realised that it was not in the best interests of all parties, hence why no other mergers have eventuated.

I believe if the Lions had not of merged with the Bears they may have combined with the Roos to become a bigger entity than both currently are. The league would see this as a threat to other clubs and made a rule not to allow mergers in the future.

Man it sucks that Fitzroy aren't in the league. My earliest footy memories were going to the local pub for tea and above the bar they had all the different team colours and logos I remember always staring at the Fitzroy one. The bloke behind the bar gave me a brand new Fitzroy cap.
The AFL just seen their opportunity to take advantage of a club on their knees and fill their agenda by moving them up North. Couldn't imagine how I'd feel if they did that to my club.
I remember talk of a Geelong Western Bulldogs merger in the early 2000s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

393687_1b5d19945301fdb9cf214a3d62ee7c04.png

would that have been the nearest of what the jumper would have been

393687_1b5d19945301fdb9cf214a3d62ee7c04.png

would that have been the nearest of what the jumper would have been

Not necessarily. No jumper was ever designed. The terms of the agreement stated....
  • The new club will have a new jumper which substantially incorporates the present colours of FFC [red, royal blue and gold] and NMC [royal blue and white] (in approximately equal proportions) in a style which is appropriate to the 1990's which will create an effective merchandising presence.
There was nothing stated about having to have vertical stripes or a kangaroo logo on the jumper.

Not necessarily. No jumper was ever designed. The terms of the agreement stated....
There was nothing stated about having to have vertical stripes or a kangaroo logo on the jumper.

I remember seeing two versions of it on tv.
The Fitzroy guernsey with a white roo and a roos guernsey with a north front and lions back.

I can't figure how a hybrid uniform would have looked anything other than bloody awful.

I suppose if one of the colors could have been canned then something might have been thrown together that looked reasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back