Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

13,050 - attendance at North home game vs Port :oops:

That is very troubling
It's a small crowd, but it's overstated.

North and Port have played each other 12 times at Marvel.

On 3 occasions, the match has surpassed 20,000 people (25,195 being the highest in the 2005 elimination final). The rest have been between 13,000-19,000.

St Kilda and Port have played each other 6 times at Marvel. The crowds have ranged from 14,018-22,878.

Word getting around that an official document has been sent to the North Melbourne football club hierarchy stating that if the club doesnt improve its membership and attendance to games by 2023 then the AFL will have no choice but to relocate them to Tasmania due to on going pressure.

Rubbish. The AFL cannot relocate any club it does not own to anywhere without its consent. They couldn't do it to Fitzroy and North Melbourne are in a far better financial position than Fitzroy were.

It's a small crowd, but it's overstated.

North and Port have played each other 12 times at Marvel.

On 3 occasions, the match has surpassed 20,000 people (25,195 being the highest in the 2005 elimination final). The rest have been between 13,000-19,000.

St Kilda and Port have played each other 6 times at Marvel. The crowds have ranged from 14,018-22,878.
Cheers for the stats there, paints an interesting picture.

Any round one attendance bump we might have hoped for, on top of regular expected attendance for the matchup, was kicked to the curb by the COVID ticketing dramas.

EDIT:
Not talking about the 50% crowd number limitation. Talking about not being able to just walk up and buy entry on game day, screwing up ticketing options for members so it defaulted to actually having to pay for a worse seat, inability to easily sit with non-member friends etc etc.

More than a few did not go to the game for those reasons, on top of those just not wanting to risk COVID exposure. It was a s**t house crowd, but contextually it's not as bad as it first appears.

Last edited:
It’s the vibe of it. It’s the crowd numbers. It’s Mabo. It’s debt levels. It’s lack of growth. It’s the vibe and ah....No that’s it. It’s the vibe. I rest my case.

No one's buying from the new $7b coffee cart...thats the issue

Word getting around that an official document has been sent to the North Melbourne football club hierarchy stating that if the club doesnt improve its membership and attendance to games by 2023 then the AFL will have no choice but to relocate them to Tasmania due to on going pressure.
i don't believe you.gif

South goes North and North goes South. Got to love how people think moving a club is bad. Swan's have been a success, as has Lions. Maybe North will secure their future. Melbourne has too many teams, as does Sydney with NRL.
To be fair, the whole of Australia has too many NRL teams.

The numbers spoken about are membership tally of 45,000 and a general improvement of crowd numbers of up to 20,000 for home games.
The Tasmanian government have been incridibly forth right about aquiring a team and have stated they will pour a great amount of money into this endeavour. It is understood that the AFL wants a team in Tasmania at some point, but dont wish to expand to a 19th team if possible.
[/ 1616580941161.gif

Genuine question - and not targeting any club.

Can the AFL reduce the number of licences in Melbourne and issue one to Tasmania.
Not forcing a club to move, but effectively forcing them to drop back?

Thought this was a good question. I know people will say "the AFL can't do this or that" but they keep changing the rules with no rhyme or reason

Can the AFL reduce the number of licences in Melbourne and issue one to Tasmania.

Not without very good reason such as a breach of their licence and that they would very likely have to prove that in court. On what grounds could they do this without a costly legal and PR battle? The AFL couldn’t even rescind Fitzroy’s licence. The administrator voluntarily surrendered the licence in return for certain guarantees about funding. Port Adelaide was admitted in Fitzroy's place, but they were coming in as the next club in 1997 irrespective of what happened to Fitzroy.

Even if they could, the Commission still needs 75% of clubs to ratify that decision.

Not forcing a club to move, but effectively forcing them to drop back?

The AFl can't force a club it doesn't own to go anywhere either as a relocaton or to any particular lower league. That's up to the board, shareholders and members of that club.

Uhh buddy this thread is about the basket case that is North please leave St Kilda out of it xoxo
$3billion and a coffee cart, no substance to this thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13,050 attendance to a home game (Round 1 mind you) is damning

If these low home game attendances continue then North will have a huge issue going forward
Saints have worse attendances. You're average is only higher because you don't get Tassie games and have had better timeslots.

Despite this, Saints are in horrific debt and North still manage to make a profit.

If I were you i wouldn't be worried about North....

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saints have worse attendances. You're average is only higher because you don't get Tassie games and have had better timeslots.

Despite this, Saints are in horrific debt and North still manage to make a profit.

you sell home games for money and then try and use it again because the ppl you sold your home game to don't turn out to watch you...........
as for timeslots the big clubs keep telling us, get better crowds and you get better timeslots 1 3 0 5 0 to a Sunday 1:10 pm game is ******* horrendous after a year without footy in Melbourne.

Shouldn't really call it a profit when you're in reality subsidized by the poor tassie taxpayers who absolutely loathe your leeching off them. They want you out of tassie and the afl want you out of vic. Not even your own supporters are interested. The footy side is crap too. Apart from that....I hear the coffee cart's world class.

you sell home games for money and then try and use it again because the ppl you sold your home game to don't turn out to watch you...........
as for timeslots the big clubs keep telling us, get better crowds and you get better timeslots 1 3 0 5 0 to a Sunday 1:10 pm game is ******* horrendous after a year without footy in Melbourne.
yea we did sell the homes games, but that's irrelevant to the argument. the average is affected by small tassie crowds.

hard to get big crowds against a interstate side that used have tarps covering stands on a 1pm sunday time slot. you don't realise it works both ways, better time slots = more exposure = more fans, crowds and members.....the big clubs are just getting bigger with their advantages.

it's like in the media, north hardly ever get a mention, and when they do it's only about it's finances - and it's always factually incorrect. Carlton even after a 10+ year rebuild will be mentioned in every AFL media outlets non-stop, get all the big time slots even when they were bottom, always looked at as having a positive future. before you say "it's because north are irrelevant", again simply not true - ANY club that gets as little exposure as north AND has (incorrectly) question marks as a going concern is going to struggle to grow it's crowd and membership numbers. North (in the media) are as irrelevant when they were making prelims as they as now rebuilding, the only difference is years ago it was digs about "they need to bottom out and rebuild", now they're rebuilding it's "north are struggling on field and have a 5 year plus rebuild" (funny how norths rebuild is 5+ years and the larger teams are only 1-2 years away from making the 8 - which they never do). north have been given no favours to truly grow it's market, yet they're still here making profits - despite the incorrect cliche`s and constant digs in the media about their future.

Shouldn't really call it a profit when you're in reality subsidized by the poor tassie taxpayers who absolutely loathe your leeching off them. They want you out of tassie and the afl want you out of vic. Not even your own supporters are interested. The footy side is crap too. Apart from that....I hear the coffee cart's world class.

the AFL have wanted us out since 2009, you think i care that the AFL want us out?

facts are YOUR team in the ones struggling financially in Vic and you're weak attempt of deflecting the facts are pathetic.

Saints are the most unsuccessfully sporting team on the face of the earth. you're in debt up to your eyeballs and you've put all your chips on the table with top ups to try and snag a flag. i feel you you bro, north were there but managed to get out, hopefully you guys can too....but don't go trying to throw out shitty insults because your teams is on the cusp of not existing. stop projecting and look inwards at why you feel you need to lash out.

perhaps these guys might be able to help you, all the best buddy, hang in there.

1616638906991.png

North not being able to pull a crowd and complaining about funding is akin to womens sport and not getting paid equally as the men.

Build it and they will come, make your brand exciting and interesting and something that people want to watch. The AFLW is slowly turning the tide, North are complaining about crowd numbers from games they sold to another state...

yea we did sell the homes games, but that's irrelevant to the argument. the average is affected by small tassie crowds.

hard to get big crowds against a interstate side that used have tarps covering stands on a 1pm sunday time slot. you don't realise it works both ways, better time slots = more exposure = more fans, crowds and members.....the big clubs are just getting bigger with their advantages.

it's like in the media, north hardly ever get a mention, and when they do it's only about it's finances - and it's always factually incorrect. Carlton even after a 10+ year rebuild will be mentioned in every AFL media outlets non-stop, get all the big time slots even when they were bottom, always looked at as having a positive future. before you say "it's because north are irrelevant", again simply not true - ANY club that gets as little exposure as north AND has (incorrectly) question marks as a going concern is going to struggle to grow it's crowd and membership numbers. North (in the media) are as irrelevant when they were making prelims as they as now rebuilding, the only difference is years ago it was digs about "they need to bottom out and rebuild", now they're rebuilding it's "north are struggling on field and have a 5 year plus rebuild" (funny how norths rebuild is 5+ years and the larger teams are only 1-2 years away from making the 8 - which they never do). north have been given no favours to truly grow it's market, yet they're still here making profits - despite the incorrect cliche`s and constant digs in the media about their future.
I don't get this, why have a go at Port. with how round 1 went down, it would have been hard to get any significant fans over from port, but generally, Interstate fans don't travel in numbers for H&A games. This is about North fans not showing up. Melbourne fans no better truth be told, 21k at the MCG on a Saturday.

North's done a great job getting debt-free, no doubt, I honestly don't get the angst between the smaller Melbourne teams, the narrative is the same for us all, StKildas's return to Moorabbin has been huge for my club. It's hard for those outside to quantify that connection. St Kilda has invested heavily in that facility, it's invested heavily in the community, and we are now about to break 50k members. It maybe debt, but it's debt invested in the future.
the media, always panders to its own agenda, 2 years ago StKilda didn't have 1 decent player, the coach was #1 on the sack-o-meter, Gerard "dickhead" Healy said pre-round 1 Clark and Coffield were disappointments, why listen to them?

the AFL have wanted us out since 2009, you think i care that the AFL want us out?

facts are YOUR team in the ones struggling financially in Vic and you're weak attempt of deflecting the facts are pathetic.

Saints are the most unsuccessfully sporting team on the face of the earth. you're in debt up to your eyeballs and you've put all your chips on the table with top ups to try and snag a flag. i feel you you bro, north were there but managed to get out, hopefully you guys can too....but don't go trying to throw out shitty insults because your teams is on the cusp of not existing. stop projecting and look inwards at why you feel you need to lash out.

perhaps these guys might be able to help you, all the best buddy, hang in there.

View attachment 1085443
wow champ, accost a poster then do the exact same thing.
as for "the most unsuccessfully sporting team on the face of the earth" were 50k strong and still cheering loudly, year on year membership growth for 6 years.
as for our age profile 1 29yo and 3 over 30, average game exp on the w/e was the 4th lowest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back