Rumour The North Ultimatum

Feb 16, 2021
Hunville
AFL Club
Carlton
Word getting around that an official document has been sent to the North Melbourne football club hierarchy stating that if the club doesnt improve its membership and attendance to games by 2023 then the AFL will have no choice but to relocate them to Tasmania due to on going pressure.
The numbers spoken about are membership tally of 45,000 and a general improvement of crowd numbers of up to 20,000 for home games.
The Tasmanian government have been incridibly forth right about aquiring a team and have stated they will pour a great amount of money into this endeavour. It is understood that the AFL wants a team in Tasmania at some point, but dont wish to expand to a 19th team if possible.

arent you a bit precious. This is my only account, i shut down my last account years ago. Bit touchy on this subject are we?
Not really. I know it's not going to happen so couldn't care less what other people speculate. Just don't be a coward and hide behind a new profile.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Word getting around that an official document has been sent to the North Melbourne football club hierarchy stating that if the club doesnt improve its membership and attendance to games by 2023 then the AFL will have no choice but to relocate them to Tasmania due to on going pressure.
The numbers spoken about are membership tally of 45,000 and a general improvement of crowd numbers of up to 20,000 for home games.
The Tasmanian government have been incridibly forth right about aquiring a team and have stated they will pour a great amount of money into this endeavour. It is understood that the AFL wants a team in Tasmania at some point, but dont wish to expand to a 19th team if possible.
North's Marvel home crowds are well over 20K and the average is only dragged down by low crowds in Tasmania - which does not bode well for a relocation to Tasmania.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Its a fair point. However im only pointing out what im told. Unfortunately unless they improve their numbers, they will be in the gun
Whoever is the smallest Vic AFL club will always be 'in the gun'. Currently that is North. If North go, then the media and ignorant people like you will pick the new 'smallest Vic club' to turn on.
Whatever the size of North Melbourne compared to Collingwood, West Coast or Richmond, they will still be bigger, stronger, more profitable, more passionate, of more economic value and better for football than GWS or Gold Coast for at least the next 50 years.
North Melbourne does not want to relocate to Tasmania, and Tasmania does not want North Melbourne as their team. It is not going to happen.

Can North give a free membership for every existing member to gift to a friend like Carlton are allegedly doing?

Do those membership numbers count?

I actually think it's a great gimmick, because chances are some of those people will take a slight bit more interest in footy and like it enough to pay money next season.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
The AFL use the draw to minimise North's attendances and therefore memberships for the benefit of the "larger" clubs and then hold them over a barrel due to poor attendance and membership numbers. North have done well to stay solvent but staying relevant is also part of the struggle and they're not doing too well at that.

Ilovenorth

Draftee
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I will drive them to the airport if they need a lift. I have a very small car but I am sure I can squeeze in all four of their premiership cups in the front seat.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Oooooh an "official document". Please post a photo of a phone text to verify.

Astro35

All Australian
Feb 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics/Minnesota Vikings
My opinion, and that's all it is - not an attack on North, is that eventually the AFL will remove a Victorian team and move them back to the VFL. If given the choice between Tasmania or VFL, which is best for North?

Back