Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Kevin Sheedy would say yes.

What are the Collingwood vs Essendon crowds like when they play the alternate game each year?
It’s hard to judge because majority of return games are dead rubbers with one or both sides out of meaningful contention.

Last time I recall an Essendon Collingwood being anything meaningful was in the final round of 2019 when 85,000 turned up.

Carlton, Essendon & Melbourne have spent 20 years in the wilderness because they have failed to get their recruiting right and or develop a plan.
North just wiped the slate clean and started again. There is something else behind that plan. Hire a no-name coach who can be replaced quickly. It has all of the markings of a relocation. Sponsors can be appeased and contracts re-negotiated. A State Premier dangling a huge deal....
not sure why everyone believes this,

sure North delisted 12 or so in the 1 go, they were clearly looking to the future, even still they delisted, traded, retired 14 in total
Saints did 13
Brisbane 13
Pies 13
Bomber 13
Hawks 13

Funny how North fans talk themselves up as ‘ the most loyal and passionate fans in the comp ‘ but all you hear is how all these fans will be lost to the game if the club moves 1 hour south

Weak as piss really

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

It's disingenuous to suggest it's simply 1 hour south.

Funny how North fans talk themselves up as ‘ the most loyal and passionate fans in the comp ‘ but all you hear is how all these fans will be lost to the game if the club moves 1 hour south

Weak as piss really

"It's funny how you say you support the North Melbourne Football Club, but disagree with the club removing North Melbourne from its name, relocating away from their 100+ year home in North Melbourne!"

That's how dumb you sound, and you should feel even dumber than that for not having that thought before posting.

What are the options for North?

Status Quo

* long term occupancy in the cellar
* uncompetitive
* maybe 10,000 fans going to home games
* consigned to low rate time slots
* eventual loss of Tas Govt sponsorship
* talented players likely to be cherry picked when ooc. FA or RFA
* cannot attract A grade players.

Amalgamation

* Probably with Carlton - "The Blue Roos"?
* New entity would have a solid base for the future
* Immediately competitive
* More than decent combined membership and game attendance
* Allows a new Tas team.

Relocation to Tasmania

* Lots of financial, drafting (inc of established players) assistance
* Regular prime time TV coverage to be set in stone
* Whole state to be given to Tas Roos as an Academy with money to support it.
* Preserves Melbourne support via Docklands games
* 11 Tas games, plus one away v Hawthorn and 7 legally contracted games at Docklands
* Financed by AFL to go over cap for 3 years to attract A graders.
* Keeps the Roos identity

You haven't thrown any money at anyone. Cunnington was going around head hunting on the weekend, and his body language made it obvious he would have preferred to have been somewhere else like the races.

Kids need to come into an environment where they are allowed to develop. North is throwing them into the fire and expecting them to not only develop but then become super stars. This explains why they are failing to run out games. They are not fit enough yet at their early age and it is going to take 2-3 seasons for most of them to develop their engines, assuming they do not break down with injury or get sacked because of poor form. It does not take much for kids to lose confidence at this level. Smart clubs will wait in the wings and pick up some of these kids and then give them the time they need.

What North has done looks sound on paper, but it rarely works. They need experienced big mature bodies around the kids.
Round 1-Lost by 52 points to Port
Round 2-Lost by 59 points to GCS
Round 3-Lost by 128 points to Dogs
Round 4-Lost by 41 points to Adelaide.

This week they face the biggest front running team in the competition with their huge forwards. it is going to be a cricket score...
I can't help feeling that this is all part of a bigger plan to relocate North to Tassie next year, and then inject them with draft picks.

I can't help feeling that Buckley may end up coaching North or Tassie or whatever name they are if they do relocate and get some concessions. I feel so sorry for Noble. Even when you type North Melbourne senior coach into google Brendan Whitecross name and picture comes up.
Weve got 7 or 8 of the starting 22 parked on the injury list, not too many alternatives to playing the kids unfortunately.

Couple of hours south then

They will still play plenty of games in Melbourne

Weak.As.Piss if they bail on the club for that

Send Fremantle instead. They’re an even less relevant club as far as the makeup of the AFL is concerned, an irrelevant franchise with no history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weve got 7 or 8 of the starting 22 parked on the injury list, not too many alternatives to playing the kids unfortunately.
At any given time 25% of list will be injured. It is a fact of life. Kids do not do well playing in teams that get beaten up every week. They will start playing for their own survival and stats.

Status Quo

* uncompetitive

Amalgamation

* Allows a new Tas team.

Relocation to Tasmania

* 11 Tas games, plus one away v Hawthorn and 7 legally contracted games at Docklands
ouija board or crystal ball

At any given time 25% of list will be injured. It is a fact of life. Kids do not do well playing in teams that get beaten up every week. They will start playing for their own survival and stats.
Agreed. Highly unfortunate that our 25% are senior and experienced players to weather the storm. Again, there is no mantra to play the kids in this rebuild. We have no bloody choice

Couple of hours south then

They will still play plenty of games in Melbourne

Weak.As.Piss if they bail on the club for that

so you would support the Albany dockers if it happened to freo?

it's "not weak as piss" to no longer support a team that's relocated, it's actually the opposite.

Status Quo

* uncompetitive

Amalgamation

* Allows a new Tas team.

Relocation to Tasmania

what is 'the cellar'? the $7b development at arden st?
why uncompetitive? they've been competitive for the last 20 years...
they've had s**t timeslots for the past 20 years and are still here....
why are talented players likely to be cherry picked? they haven't been for the last 20 years...

the other 2 options will simply not happen:
1. it's no longer north melbourne so it's not really a discussion point to associate a new club with north melbourne when the only comparable thing is the mascot.
2. it didn't happened when north were in 10x worse position financially 13 years ago, why is it going to happen now when they're in no debt and making profits?

so you would support the Albany dockers if it happened to freo?

it's "not weak as piss" to no longer support a team that's relocated, it's actually the opposite.

what is 'the cellar'? the $7b development at arden st?
why uncompetitive? they've been competitive for the last 20 years...
they've had sh*t timeslots for the past 20 years and are still here....
why are talented players likely to be cherry picked? they haven't been for the last 20 years...

the other 2 options will simply not happen:
1. it's no longer north melbourne so it's not really a discussion point to associate a new club with north melbourne when the only comparable thing is the mascot.
2. it didn't happened when north were in 10x worse position financially 13 years ago, why is it going to happen now when they're in no debt and making profits?

Of course I would still support them , I’m in for life whatever happens to us

Can’t believe any true footy fans could feel differently

And we are just a made up plastic franchise

Of course I would still support them , I’m in for life whatever happens to us

Can’t believe any true footy fans could feel differently

And we are just a made up plastic franchise

you're obviously not a true footy fan then.

It's no longer the same team.

you should know freo have links to south and east freo - you take freo and put them somewhere else they're not the same team, you're just following a shitty mascot.

if for some reason the Australian wallabies went under and china bought them and called themselves the China wallabies would you still support them?

you're obviously not a true footy fan then.

It's no longer the same team.

you should know freo have links to south and east freo - you take freo and put them somewhere else they're not the same team, you're just following a shitty mascot.

if for some reason the Australian wallabies went under and china bought them and called themselves the China wallabies would you still support them?

China ?

You’d better ask a Port fan that one

If Freo moved to Albany but were still going to play in Perth a handful of times a year I doubt we would lose many fans at all

Unless your an avid training watcher what difference would it actually make to you if North were based in Tassie or Arden St beside a few less live games a year if the Name ( Roos ) and the jumper were pretty much the same

I wouldn’t turn my back on them and a couple of Tassie/Albany trips a year would be fun anyway

China ?

If Freo moved to Albany but were still going to play in Perth a handful of times a year I doubt we would lose many fans at all

Unless your an avid training watcher what difference would it actually make to you if North were based in Tassie or Arden St beside a few less live games a year if the Name ( Roos ) and the jumper were pretty much the same

I wouldn’t turn my back on them and a couple of Tassie/Albany trips a year would be fun anyway

Glad to see that you value things like history and tradition.
Pro tip- looking up what those words mean will help your reply

China ?

so if china bought out the wallabies you'd support the china wallabies if they still played half their games in Australia? other than supporting a soulless shell of a team you'd also be a treasonous campaigner.

the difference is plenty and i've made it clear why.

....not to mention that fact that it's made known tassie want their own team, not only will most melbourne based members leave but the tassie membership won't make up nearly the same members lost. tassie is also growing at a significantly smaller rate to melbourne, the market growth for a melbourne team is so much higher than tassie it makes no sense to move.

No arguments to relocate north in this thread make any sense, they're all based on factually incorrect information and assumptions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back