Rumour The North Ultimatum

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That’s a good reason to bail out on supporting your team is it ?

Soft as babyshit if you ask me

I wouldn’t jump ship if they moved Freo to Tassie and that’s a bit different to moving from Melbourne to Tassie

I bet they’d all be back on board in a flash if they started having some success

Plenty of South Melbourne and Fitzroy fans stuck fat , they’re my kind of supporters

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Do ALL former Fitzroy supporters support Brisbane?

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
i'll make it simple for you, you'd still support the tassie dockers if freo were relocated to tassie?
I would
I’ve been a Dockers supporter for over 20 years.
Grew up in S.A
Never lived in WA
Now in vic get 5 game membership for when there east.
Fly to an Adelaide oval game aswell when I can.
Watch the rest on the box that’s more then enough.
Honestly the only Roos supporters that would be effected are the 8-10,000 people that don’t miss a game.
The rest just make noise for the sake of it.

I would
I’ve been a Dockers supporter for over 20 years.
Grew up in S.A
Never lived in WA
Now in vic get 5 game membership for when there east.
Fly to an Adelaide oval game aswell when I can.
Watch the rest on the box that’s more then enough.
Honestly the only Roos supporters that would be effected are the 8-10,000 people that don’t miss a game.
The rest just make noise for the sake of it.
Sounds like we should relocate freo then and start a new side in Perth...

Given the Dockers are a Victorian brand anyway and have more in common with tassie!!!

They haven't been successful either so a fresh start might help them!

My opinion, and that's all it is - not an attack on North, is that eventually the AFL will remove a Victorian team and move them back to the VFL. If given the choice between Tasmania or VFL, which is best for North?
How about what's best for Tassie being part of the discussion?
Fair enough. I don't think the competition can stretch to 19 teams. So is that then mean a return to VFL for a team like North?
Of course it can.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sounds like we should relocate freo then and start a new side in Perth...

Given the Dockers are a Victorian brand anyway and have more in common with tassie!!!

They haven't been successful either so a fresh start might help them!
Sorry I’m just sharing my experience for a different perspective.
Averaging over 40,0000 fans at home in 18 and 19 as a btm 6 team says that moving them would be silly.
We haven’t even signed up any glory hunters yet if we lift a cup we will have 65,000 members and 50k home attendance average in a heart beat

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
True Fitzroy supporters do not follow Brisbane.
Fitzroy supporters are just a bunch of whingers. Always have been. South Melbourne went to Sydney and a lot of people kept following them and you see it today with the number that turnout when they play in Victoria. South Melbourne had the same problems as Fitzroy. Small membership base, huge debt, and not enough money to be able to compete in the AFL. They did what they had to survive and have appeared in 5 GF's.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
not exactly through and through Fitzroy when the club is now a gutted shell called Brisbane

That is not correct.

Fitzroy still exists in its own right in Melbourne unlike the relocated South Melbourne. The Brisbane Lions are a separate club that used to be called the Brisbane Bears.

Fitzroy supporters have the right to follow whoever they want. There is no obligation to follow Brisbane for the reason above. Brisbane does however commemorate Fitzroy’s VFL-AFL history and of all the AFL clubs most closely resembles Fitzroy’s identity by wearing its colours and emblem. There is no right or wrong answer and following or not following Brisbane does not determine a “true Fitzroy supporter.

Haven't read all 14 pages. Not sure if this specific point has been covered off;

Can essentially confirm that the story of a "letter" being sent to the NMFC as described in the OP is 100% bullshit.

Haven't read all 14 pages. Not sure if this specific point has been covered off;

Can essentially confirm that the story of a "letter" being sent to the NMFC as described in the OP is 100% bullshit.

Could have told you that 13 pages ago lol

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
not exactly through and through Fitzroy when the club is now a gutted shell called Brisbane
Hang on, Fitzroy were given the chance to relocate to Brisbane, in the same way South was relocated to Sydney. They knocked it back after Leon Wiegard found a so called saviour. This is where Fitzroy were incapable of making a tough decision. How long would the saviour continue to pump money into a loss making venture? How would they reinvent themselves and their brand? Where would the new supporters come from? Where would Fitzroy play?
They were the nomads of the VFL as history would prove.
When a man is dying of thirst and calls out for water, you do not refuse it because you do not like the person offering it to you.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fitzroy supporters are just a bunch of whingers. Always have been. South Melbourne went to Sydney and a lot of people kept following them and you see it today with the number that turnout when they play in Victoria. South Melbourne had the same problems as Fitzroy. Small membership base, huge debt, and not enough money to be able to compete in the AFL. They did what they had to survive and have appeared in 5 GF's.
They rolled over like cowards.

We are not them.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Hang on, Fitzroy were given the chance to relocate to Brisbane, in the same way South was relocated to Sydney.

Fitzroy's preference in the 1980's was to merge with a Melbourne based club, after exhausting all other possible avenues. The Swans of the 80s weren't exactly a successful venture to be copying.

They knocked it back after Leon Wiegard found a so called saviour.

Hecron agreed to buy the club and then when the then VFL refused to allow that to happened, they spomsored the club.

This is where Fitzroy were incapable of making a tough decision.

That's rubbish.

Fitzroy agreed to merge with Melbourne in 1986 (Melbourne Lions) - (24 hours away from being put to the respective supporter bases), Footscray in 1989 (Fitzroy Bulldogs) - (terms agreed to by Fitzroy and Footscray boards) and North Melbourne (North Fitzroy Kangaroos) - (merger terms agreed to by both boards) in 1996. They also offered to play eight home games in Canberra in 1995.

How long would the saviour continue to pump money into a loss making venture?

Fitzroy in 1992-93 was a very competitive side on the field. In 1992 they won 9 of their 22 games played and in 1993 they won 10 of their 20 games.

The club actually made a profit in 1993, they'd finally got a social club that was making money through the Fitzroy Club Hotel (purchased in March 1992) and were making plans to return to the Brunswick Street Oval (just up the road from the Fitzroy Club Hotel) as a training and administration base. The club had actually gained approval from the Council in 1992 to do just that, but just couldn't find the spare $250,000 needed to renovate the old heritage grandstand and build a modern gymnasium over the existing community rooms. They made profits in 1994 and 1995 as well, with a better ground sharing arrangement out at the Western Oval.

Fitzroy was $2.7 million in debt, of which $1.25 million was to one secured creditor. (Nauru). The Fitzroy debt of $1.25 million to the Nauru Insurance Company wasn't due to be paid back until 2001 and Fitzroy were meeting the repayments. Had they been given their level of support that other clubs such as North, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs subsequently received they would still be in te AFL today.

Where would the new supporters come from? Where would Fitzroy play?

Eventually it would have been at the Docklands. Supporters would have come from their zone out in the east.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Fitzroy's preference in the 1980's was to merge with a Melbourne based club, after exhausting all other possible avenues. The Swans of the 80s weren't exactly a successful venture to be copying.

Hecron agreed to buy the club and then when the then VFL refused to allow that to happened, they spomsored the club.

Yet Fitzroy agreed to merge with Melbourne in 1986, Footscray in 1989 and North Melbourne in 1996.

Fitzroy in 1992-93 was a very competitive side on the field. In 1992 they won 9 of their 22 games played and in 1993 they won 10 of their 20 games.

The club actually made a profit in 1993, they'd finally got a social club that was making money through the Fitzroy Club Hotel (purchased in March 1992) and were making plans to return to the Brunswick Street Oval (just up the road from the Fitzroy Club Hotel) as a training and administration base. The club had actually gained approval from the Council in 1992 to do just that, but just couldn't find the spare $250,000 needed to renovate the old heritage grandstand and build a modern gymnasium over the existing community rooms. They made profits in 1994 and 1995 as well, with a better ground sharing arrangement out at the Western Oval.

Fitzroy was $2.7 million in debt, of which $1.25 million was to one secured creditor. (Nauru). The Fitzroy debt of $1.25 million to the Nauru Insurance Company wasn't due to be paid back until 2001 and Fitzroy were meeting the repayments. Had they been given their level of support that other clubs such as North, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs subsequently received they would still be in te AFL today.

Eventually it would have been at the Docklands. Supporters would have come from their zone out in the east.
Trying to merge with clubs that were already struggling was not an option, and would have destroyed two clubs, as it nearly destroyed Hawthorn & Melbourne. Moving interstate maintains the history of the club, and they can still be followed and supported. Lot's of South fans did it and now they are glad they did, as they saw them win two flags.

Back