The Norwood Redlegs in the AFL thread (any boats left?)

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL....Norwood had just as many/if not more supporters there.

The previous Grand Finals between Norwood and Centrals and Norwood and North had huge crowds for SANFL games as well and they were heavily Norwood dominated especially the west game.

So yeah Norwood do have a huge following. So yeah don't let the facts get in the way of a good story
Norwood may have had more supporters that day (and I was there on the southern stand, surrounded by them. LOL) but in every SANFL GF since what have the crowds been?

Yep, M-E-D-I-O-C-R-E.

If Norwood were playing anyone else the crowd would have been less. If Port had played anyone else the crowd would have been less.

So yes, definitely, let's not let a few cold, hard facts get in the way of another Port bashing story.

Norwood may have had more supporters that day (and I was there on the southern stand, surrounded by them. LOL) but in every SANFL GF since what have the crowds been?

Yep, M-E-D-I-O-C-R-E.

If Norwood were playing anyone else the crowd would have been less. If Port had played anyone else the crowd would have been less.

So yes, definitely, let's not let a few cold, hard facts get in the way of another Port bashing story.
If Sturt played Norwood in a GF there'd be just as many if not more.

If Sturt played Norwood in a GF there'd be just as many if not more.
Depends.

If Port or the Crows are in the AFL finals (depending on the timing of the SANFL GF and AFL finals, seems the SANFL GF is now during the AFL PF weekend) then the crowd will be down.

Depends.

If Port or the Crows are in the AFL finals (depending on the timing of the SANFL GF and AFL finals, seems the SANFL GF is now during the AFL PF weekend) then the crowd will be down.
There was easily 20k Sturt supporters this year, add 20-25k Norwood supporters I reckon it could be close to 50k

If Port didn't have a final the day before in Victoria then the 2014 Grand Final would've been a sellout.
Most probably, the crowd was made up mostly of Norwood supporters and neutrals going for us, may have got another 4-5k worth of Port fans if the timing was right

Contrary to what many say here, I would actually support a Norwood AFL franchise that was different to their SANFL identity, like how Port Magpies became the Power for the AFL.

If Norwood wanted to enter the AFL there is no way they can do it as the Redlegs.

They would need to rebrand or merge with another club to have a unique identity in the top league.

Norwood doesn’t have an animal mascot, so if they merged with South Adelaide for example they could become the Norwood Panthers, which is not an existing franchise in the AFL and would make the club feel uniquely South Australian.

If a Norwood AFL bid ever did happen and they successfully rebranded I think it would be more appealing to new fans, plus kiddies would like the Panther mascot. Same argument if they were to merge with, let’s say North Adelaide Roosters, although I personally would prefer South as I am a South Adelaide supporter and if my team had an AFL prescient then holy sh** ! 🤣

I’m a Melburnian now, who supports an Melbourne team, but I was originally born in Norwood’s zoning area. It would totally fascinate me if a team from my birthplace entered the AFL ✊👍

Contrary to what many say here, I would actually support a Norwood AFL franchise that was different to their SANFL identity, like how Port Magpies became the Power for the AFL.

If Norwood wanted to enter the AFL there is no way they can do it as the Redlegs.

They would need to rebrand or merge with another club to have a unique identity in the top league.

Norwood doesn’t have an animal mascot, so if they merged with South Adelaide for example they could become the Norwood Panthers, which is not an existing franchise in the AFL and would make the club feel uniquely South Australian.

If a Norwood AFL bid ever did happen and they successfully rebranded I think it would be more appealing to new fans, plus kiddies would like the Panther mascot. Same argument if they were to merge with, let’s say North Adelaide Roosters, although I personally would prefer South as I am a South Adelaide supporter and if my team had an AFL prescient then holy sh** ! 🤣

I’m a Melburnian now, who supports an Melbourne team, but I was originally born in Norwood’s zoning area. It would totally fascinate me if a team from my birthplace entered the AFL ✊👍
Nah. Then you have the same identity issue as Port have had. They say now they are one club but there are many people out there who support other SANFL clubs but follow Power. Or Follow crows inf AFL and Port in SANFL. I have the issue now in the SANFL with Crows playing in there. Do i follow them or Norwood? I choose to follow both in SANF

Nah. Then you have the same identity issue as Port have had. They say now they are one club but there are many people out there who support other SANFL clubs but follow Power. Or Follow crows inf AFL and Port in SANFL. I have the issue now in the SANFL with Crows playing in there. Do i follow them or Norwood? I choose to follow both in SANF

That's why I said contrary to what many say here. My opinion is definitely against the majority here but I stand by it.

Thank you for sharing your view, but I respectfully disagree with your sentiment.

I know many non-Port Magpies fans who barrack for Power in the AFL. The AFL franchise's aim should be to broaden and expand.

If Norwood did someone successfuly enter the AFL, then of course there would be heaps of diehard Norwood fans like yourself who would remain with the Crows as I'm sure you'd hate seeing a "NorwoodFC" with different colours/song/mascot. That's completely fine! Then younger/newer fans will grow up with the new AFL franchsie, whether they have a SANFL team or not.

I'm a diehard South Adelaide man, let's say that if the bid did happen and I did decide to barrack for Norwood AFL I would do so proudly, while in the SANFL I would be proudly barracking against the Redlegs as a South man.

The AFL and the SANFL are two different competitions and we view them with different lens.

Congratulations on the premiership btw, that was a bloody awesome game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well this is a complete rumour and I don’t think it’s true at all so please take it with a grain of salt, but maybe (just maybe) there is something going on in the background that could change the landscape of the AFL.

(I.e: 22 team competition by 2035 - TAS, NT, SA3, WA3)

But besides, the 3rd SA club that should enter the AFL is South Adelaide after all ;)

It's a very strange rumour that appears to have been started by the local radio journos.
Adelaide radio journos be like:

sponge bob love GIF

Well this is a complete rumour and I don’t think it’s true at all so please take it with a grain of salt, but maybe (just maybe) there is something going on in the background that could change the landscape of the AFL.

(I.e: 22 team competition by 2035 - TAS, NT, SA3, WA3)

But besides, the 3rd SA club that should enter the AFL is South Adelaide after all ;)
Gooooooo Panthers

Norwood would be the biggest club outside the AFL. If they could make profit out of half of their games being at The Parade in front of 10,000 (The Parade doesn't have much capacity to get bigger with such a small footprint) and against the better drawing teams playing at Adelaide Oval, then maybe?

There was always Port vs Norwood and then the rest. Maybe 30% Port, 20% Norwood and then 50% the rest. Of course, Norwood would have to work very hard to get that 20% back following them.

Norwood really represents that eastern suburbs, old Adelaide, type. The exact opposite to what Port were. They have strong commercial backing in Coopers and Wolf Blass.

Port, Norwood and Adelaide would be three very different clubs - albeit Norwood would need to take back a number of Crows supporters. The Crows would still be the biggest club.

Unlike Port, many of Norwood's premierships were won when Football was in its infancy in the 19th Century. But, they have always been a club that is around the mark and were particularly strong in the late 70's early 80's which would make a strong bond with many of the 50 plus year olds who would look back at those glory days with fond memories and potentially translate to a membership if they joined the AFL.

If they're looking to expand the AFL to 20 plus teams - Norwood would have to be considered.

I personally think it's already too big. Tassie as the 19th team should be the max.

I'd rather see a 2nd tier supported from the bigger regions currently not represented in the AFL, competing with the traditional clubs of the SANFL, WAFL and VFL in a knockout competition after the State League's have finished.

I personally think it's already too big. Tassie as the 19th team should be the max.
I think a truly national comp was always going to end up as big as 20 teams, but the balance is wrong.

Perfect balance imo would've been a 20 team comp of: 8 VIC, 3 WA, 2 SA, 2 NSW, 2 QLD, 1 TAS, 1 ACT, 1 NT. Too late for that, though.

VIC: Blues, Pies, Bombers, Tigers, Hawks, Dees, Cats, Saints
WA: Falcons, Royals, Bullsharks (merger of South and East Freo)
SA: Port Pirates (prison bars every game), Norwood
NSW: Swans, Western Sydney (Bulldogs)
QLD: Lions, Crocs (8 games GC, 3 Cairns)
TAS: Tassie Devils
ACT: Canberra (Kangaroos)
NT: NT Thunder

I'd still have a 23 round season (11 home, 11 away, 1 neutral Gather Round rotating WA, SA, QLD, NSW, TAS, Top End) and a top 8.

Last edited:
If a Norwood/Sturt consortium joined the AFL, what would be the impact on the two current teams?
Im thinking Crows supporter base would be hit by around 25%-30% and Power supporter base maybe 10%- 15%

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back