Mega Thread 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not cleared, but it also wasn't really a hurdle was it? I mean as if the NSAC wasnt going to grant that license with the money that fight would make.

"Sure weve granted convicted felons licenses but that arsehole who threw a few water bottles, nah, hes the scum of the earth"
It was more no professional boxing fights vs basically the greatest of all time.

Ive heard that being a major hurdle from people far more knowledgeable than me, as there is laws that dictate it must be an even contest.

It was more no professional boxing fights vs basically the greatest of all time.

Ive heard that being a major hurdle from people far more knowledgeable than me, as there is laws that dictate it must be an even contest.

Oh yeh thats all true, but i for one never thought the license would be an issue cause money talks.

Pretty sure the role in the latest xxx movie he turned down would have been a nice little earner.. and he had a good excuse not to rematch Diaz at 170 immediately.

Plenty of fighters would have taken that opportunity, even in Conors exact situation.
I'm sure Dillashaw would jump at the chance.. The 15k/15k aint cutting the mustard :D

If it goes ahead and Connor does get 20 million+ i reckon it will be his last fight. This current long layoff shows he is not as enthusiastic about being a fighter as someone like Anderson or BJ Penn who love fighting.

Connor wants to get in and out of the business with as much health and money as possible for the shortest amount of time. Good for him.

Personally I think Mayweather will be way too quick and the fight will be a snooze fest.

If it goes ahead and Connor does get 20 million+ i reckon it will be his last fight. This current long layoff shows he is not as enthusiastic about being a fighter

Lol not sure if trolling or?

McGregor has had 8 fights in less than 3 years.

It's only been 4 months since his last fight and he clearly told everyone he would be taking a break until after the birth of his child because it would put too much stress on his partner.

Lol not sure if trolling or?

McGregor has had 8 fights in less than 3 years.

It's only been 4 months since his last fight and he clearly told everyone he would be taking a break until after the birth of his child because it would put too much stress on his partner.
It's defo not a troll. I also can't really see McGregor coming back to the UFC and risking health etc, especially after the huge payday coming. But you never know...

It's defo not a troll. I also can't really see McGregor coming back to the UFC and risking health etc, especially after the huge payday coming. But you never know...

Listen to his interviews. Amongst all the gloating and trash talk he genuinely loves the art of fighting. You can see it when he steps into the octagon.

He has said he will retire young on multiple occasions but he definitely has a few fights left in the UFC at a bare minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could technically argue the match against Aldo as a title defence as he was the interim champion going into that fight.

If the UFC stopped prematurely stealing his belts off of him he may have.

That's not how an interim title works so you couldn't argue that at all.

The only belt they have taken off him is 145 which everyone knew he was never gonna defend.

I'm all for him chasing money (I'd do the same) but if he wants GOAT status he has some defending to do. If he doesn't (and fwiw id hazard he couldn't care less what others label him) then he should fight Floyd and whoever else will make him the most bank.

If it goes ahead and Connor does get 20 million+ i reckon it will be his last fight. This current long layoff shows he is not as enthusiastic about being a fighter as someone like Anderson or BJ Penn who love fighting.

Connor wants to get in and out of the business with as much health and money as possible for the shortest amount of time. Good for him.

Personally I think Mayweather will be way too quick and the fight will be a snooze fest.

Lol he has already said he wants the third fight against nate and mentioned a few others as well in the same conversation months ago

This fight won't happen in june, T Arena on hold or not.
Floyd cannot get ready that quick surely
I'm tipping Sept Oct.

But how many of those title defences have been high stakes/mainevent calibre fights? I could argue that the weight of expectation and pressure placed on McGregor is equal or more so than that of other fighters defending their belt.

But how many of those title defences have been high stakes/mainevent calibre fights? I could argue that the weight of expectation and pressure placed on McGregor is equal or more so than that of other fighters defending their belt.
Depends on who you're comparing him with. But Any GOAT contenders would've had that constant weight of expectation placed upon their shoulders for every defense. Otherwise they wouldn't enter the discussion. The more highly rated you are - the more you're expected to dominate.

I can see this. I can also see it a lot differently though. Once McGregor became a huge draw winning didn't matter as much as it would for others. He lost that Diaz fight and it didn't hurt him one bit. His popularity wasn't diminished at all and because of that he could squeak out a win over Diaz and get that LW title shot.

You can argue about whether it's more difficult to do what McGregor is doing or to rack up lots of title defences. I think reigning over a division for a long period is a lot harder but it's clearly very subjective.

I know you weren't the one talking about him being the GOAT but I'll discuss it here. I don't think he's anywhere near that yet. 3 or 4 title defences at LW (the division which right now is the most stacked division in MMA history) and he's right up there. If he does something crazy like win the WW title then he's probably the GOAT. For me he's still far behind the likes of Anderson Silva, Jones, Fedor, GSP and Aldo. I know some will call bullshit on Aldo because he destroyed him but Weidman beating Silva didn't make Weidman the GOAT or closer to it than Silva was.

I saw someone say they'd rather see McGregor box Golovkin than Mayweather. Also saw someone point out that Golovkin's net worth is estimated to be slightly higher than McGregor's.

I'd rather see that fight too. Golovkin would absolutely destroy McGregor in a way that Mayweather wouldn't. Golovkin also seems to be a decent person so him getting the opportunity to become ridiculously popular off of the fight would be great. Obviously it's never happening because McGregor's a way bigger PPV draw than Golovkin even if their net worth is pretty much the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back