Mega Thread 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Diaz post more troubles for Conor than Tony...Not sure. I think Tony is the unknown, You know what you will get with a Diaz fight
Imo Tony is far more dangerous in that he is more likely to get the fight to the ground and if he gets it there, finishing it. I reckon McGregor lights him up on the feet.

Diaz poses way more problems on the feet just due to his durability and length.

Diaz poses way more problems on the feet just due to his durability and length.

Ferguson actually has a longer reach than Nate, has a bit more pop on his shots and has a much better kicking game. He's also incredibly durable as well as being a much better wrestler. IMO, it's a tough fight everywhere for Conor. Tony's willingness to take punches does worry me in this fight though.

Ferguson actually has a longer reach than Nate, has a bit more pop on his shots and has a much better kicking game. He's also incredibly durable as well as being a much better wrestler. IMO, it's a tough fight everywhere for Conor. Tony's willingness to take punches does worry me in this fight though.
Did not know that tony had the longer reach... Very surprised. I don't think he fights anywhere near as long tho.

I know Tony is incredibly durable but he has been dropped by Kevin Lee and Lando vanatta. Alvarez is also incredibly durable and he couldn't cope.

I think Tony has to secure a take down to win, where i don't think anyone would be surprised if Nate was able to do it standing or on the ground.

Did not know that tony had the longer reach... Very surprised. I don't think he fights anywhere near as long tho.

I know Tony is incredibly durable but he has been dropped by Kevin Lee and Lando vanatta. Alvarez is also incredibly durable and he couldn't cope.

I think Tony has to secure a take down to win, where i don't think anyone would be surprised if Nate was able to do it standing or on the ground.

Diaz definitely uses the reach better, but Tony's reach is 194cm compared to 193 for Nate. Tony does more fighting at range though as he kicks a lot more than Diaz does, particularly with the front Kick that McGregor used a lot against Mendes.

Vanatta dropped Ferg hard, but the Lee one I really wouldn't say was a knockdown. Other than that, I can't remember him being hurt or rocked in a fight despite having fought some dangerous strikers. Diaz has been dropped a lot more often and also got KO'd by Thompson only a few years back. Both guys are durable, so I don't see that as an advantage that Diaz has over Ferg necessarily.

I think Tony's stand up gets underrated due to all the wild and weird stuff he does and due to the fact that he seemingly ignores basic defensive principles like tucking his chin. I think, despite their differences in a lot of ways that he's very similar to Nate in the way he goes about breaking down his opponents. Both guys are constantly applying pressure by moving forward, both work the body very well and both guys are deadly if opponents decide to take it to the ground. I certainly agree that Tony's best bet is to take it to the ground but think he has the tools to get it done against Conor on the feet.

Diaz definitely uses the reach better, but Tony's reach is 194cm compared to 193 for Nate. Tony does more fighting at range though as he kicks a lot more than Diaz does, particularly with the front Kick that McGregor used a lot against Mendes.

Vanatta dropped Ferg hard, but the Lee one I really wouldn't say was a knockdown. Other than that, I can't remember him being hurt or rocked in a fight despite having fought some dangerous strikers. Diaz has been dropped a lot more often and also got KO'd by Thompson only a few years back. Both guys are durable, so I don't see that as an advantage that Diaz has over Ferg necessarily.

I think Tony's stand up gets underrated due to all the wild and weird stuff he does and due to the fact that he seemingly ignores basic defensive principles like tucking his chin. I think, despite their differences in a lot of ways that he's very similar to Nate in the way he goes about breaking down his opponents. Both guys are constantly applying pressure by moving forward, both work the body very well and both guys are deadly if opponents decide to take it to the ground. I certainly agree that Tony's best bet is to take it to the ground but think he has the tools to get it done against Conor on the feet.
Offensively Tony is very very good. What he did in there against RDA shows that. It's that defence that makes me this he is at a decent disadvantage on the feet. Conor's got a great chin as well. For two rounds, on the feet, I'd be taking McGregor everyday of the week

I'd have to watch Lee vs Ferg again but at the time it looked like a legitimate knockdown, although he recovered extremely quick. I might be wrong tho... I was rooting for Lee pretty hard so my bias might be shining through, then and now haha.

Offensively Tony is very very good. What he did in there against RDA shows that. It's that defence that makes me this he is at a big disadvantage on the feet. Conor's got a great chin as well. For two rounds, on the feet, I'd be taking McGregor everyday of the week

I'd have to watch Lee vs Ferg again but at the time it looked like a legitimate knockdown, although he recovered extremely quick. I might be wrong tho... I was rooting for Lee pretty hard so my bias might be shining through, then and now haha.

I have only watched the fight once, but I'm assuming we're talking about the left hook where Ferg came up pawing his eye when we're talking about the knockdown (unless I'm forgetting another incident)? A punch landed, but it looked to me like a tangle of legs and while Ferg's eye definitely took some damage it didn't look like a legit knockdown to me. I'll re-watch tonight though as it's been a few days since I've watched.

I agree that Conor has an advantage on the feet when it comes to boxing and if Ferg was looking to trade punches only that he would struggle badly. The threat of the takedown/Imanari roll he used a lot against Barboza (which Conor won't have) along with his kicks and elbows make it interesting to me on the feet. He also showed an ability to adjust well in the second round against Lee which was impressive. I said pre fight (I believe in reply to a post you made) that I thought Tony would have an advantage on the feet, but was very impressed with how Lee did while standing in round one. After that though, it looked pretty one way on the feet. Whether that was mostly due to Lee's horrendous cut/staph infection or not though, I'm not sure.

In short, I'd still favour Conor if Tony looked to keep it strictly on the feet but can certainly see how Ferg can make it difficult

I have only watched the fight once, but I'm assuming we're talking about the left hook where Ferg came up pawing his eye when we're talking about the knockdown (unless I'm forgetting another incident)? A punch landed, but it looked to me like a tangle of legs and while Ferg's eye definitely took some damage it didn't look like a legit knockdown to me. I'll re-watch tonight though as it's been a few days since I've watched.

I agree that Conor has an advantage on the feet when it comes to boxing and if Ferg was looking to trade punches only that he would struggle badly. The threat of the takedown/Imanari roll he used a lot against Barboza (which Conor won't have) along with his kicks and elbows make it interesting to me on the feet. He also showed an ability to adjust well in the second round against Lee which was impressive. I said pre fight (I believe in reply to a post you made) that I thought Tony would have an advantage on the feet, but was very impressed with how Lee did while standing in round one. After that though, it looked pretty one way on the feet. Whether that was mostly due to Lee's horrendous cut/staph infection or not though, I'm not sure.

In short, I'd still favour Conor if Tony looked to keep it strictly on the feet but can certainly see how Ferg can make it difficult
Happy to agree to most of that :p

Ferg is definitely the most intriguing match up for Conor ATM and it just so happens to be the guy he should face. Let's hope it happens.

Closely followed by Holloway for me...but that fight would rustle so many jimmys.

Tony leaves his chin hanging and would get out boxed, potential being ko'ed.

Diaz basically won't get ko'ed

This says different:

josh-thomson-nate-diaz-finish.gif

Tony's never been stopped on strikes before.

If the fight eventuates....I think it goes one of two ways....

1 - It'll look like the McGregor/Alverz fight.
2 - Ferguson weathers the storm, cashes in on a tired McGregor and submits him in the 3rd/4th Round.

I doubt they'd go the distance but if it happened......Ferguson starts slow and McGregor is off like a greyhound. In that scenario I'd back McGregor to win Rounds 1,2 & pinching one of 3,4 or 5.

So despite thinking there's more ways for a McGregor win....my money would be on 2 being the outcome in the fight.

McGregor has a reaaaaaaaal simple game plan and route to victory against Nate, essentially if he sticks to the disciplined stick and move approach with bodywork and kicks he wins pretty comfortably, Ferg has a lot of other angles .

I'd pay to watch the pre fight for either of them but i'd probably rather see Ferg v McGregor and that before you consider the title implications.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have a level of expectation of what Diaz is going to bring but the fact he isn't fighting makes it a boom or bust scenario.

But you could argue that Conor has only fought once in MMA since Diaz II and therefore is in a similar boat.

In theory, it could be ideal for Diaz to fight Conor next as they will be in a similar position.

Ferguson is the legitimate man at lightweight and Conor is still more or less unknown in this division. So Ferguson would probably go into this fight as favourite.

In an ideal world for Conor, he beats Ferguson decisively and sets up a dream trilogy fight with an inactive Nate.

honestly cant see McGregor winning his next fight no matter who it is against.

Diaz 3: Diaz weathers the storm for 2 rounds then pours on the pressure and submits Conor round 3.
Ferguson: Same game plan
Khabib: gets wrestle-****ed for 5 rounds.

No-one is going to try and stand up fight with Conor any more after his boxing display against Mayweather. It will be let Conor wear himself out for 10 minutes then take the fight to the ground.

honestly cant see McGregor winning his next fight no matter who it is against.

Diaz 3: Diaz weathers the storm for 2 rounds then pours on the pressure and submits Conor round 3.
Ferguson: Same game plan
Khabib: gets wrestle-****** for 5 rounds.

No-one is going to try and stand up fight with Conor any more after his boxing display against Mayweather. It will be let Conor wear himself out for 10 minutes then take the fight to the ground.
He's beaten Diaz in a 5 round fight, he knows he has to likely go the distance.

Tony is odds on to get ko'ed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back