Mega Thread 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor

I don’t get where he’s going with it if it’s contract negotiations though.. he just signed a new contract.. it’s too late for him to be trying that. Dana has one more big pay day from him if he loses the next fight/if he takes another fight.
McGregor's contracts over the years has been more about security for the UFC than it has been about how much money McGregor gets. Someone can correct if I'm wrong...I'm pretty sure his never seen out a contract that his signed. After every fight or 2nd fight he does a new deal with the UFC and that's because his popularity keeps going up and the UFC wants McGregor to keep signing new contracts so that no other combat organization can offer him big money or some billionaire fan offering him huge money to fight in Dubai for example.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
McGregor's contracts over the years has been more about security for the UFC than it has been about how much money McGregor gets. Someone can correct if I'm wrong...I'm pretty sure his never seen out a contract that his signed. After every fight or 2nd fight he does a new deal with the UFC and that's because his popularity keeps going up and the UFC wants McGregor to keep signing new contracts so that no other combat organization can offer him big money or some billionaire fan offering him huge money to fight in Dubai for example.

That's commonplace for pretty much every fighter in the UFC though. They only let fighters they don't care about run down their contracts and reserve the right to opt out of contracts when ever they want.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If he loses his next he’s lost 3 of his last 5 UFC fights. Hard to promote someone who loses consecutive fights.

Cerrone manages to hang around when on some losing streaks. I think it's hard to judge Conor as a normal UFC fighter anyway, clearly he's one out of the box. Having said that Im sure they'd like him to win the next one well.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
If he loses his next he’s lost 3 of his last 5 UFC fights. Hard to promote someone who loses consecutive fights.

If he loses his next fight they probably go the trilogy with Diaz which will still sell through the roof.

Honestly no idea who is next for Conor though...

-Khabib instant rematch? Very Unlikely
-Ferguson? Would be pushing for a title fight. Very unlikely
-Winner of Holloway/Porier? Very unlikely would be a step back for the winner considering there fight is a #1 contender match
-Loser of Holloway/Porier? This or Diaz triology seems like the most likely scenario at the moment.
-Justin Gaethje... one from left field.

If Porier beats Holloway we could maybe see Holloway v McGregor for the featherweight title.

Cerrone manages to hang around when on some losing streaks. I think it's hard to judge Conor as a normal UFC fighter anyway, clearly he's one out of the box. Having said that Im sure they'd like him to win the next one well.
Donald Cerrone had 1 losing streak in his 46 fight career.

But Cowboy isn't on Conors megastar level but he is a bit like Conor in that he isn't really like many other UFC fighters

Jun 26, 2012
Mos Eisley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he loses his next fight they probably go the trilogy with Diaz which will still sell through the roof.

Honestly no idea who is next for Conor though...

-Khabib instant rematch? Very Unlikely
-Ferguson? Would be pushing for a title fight. Very unlikely
-Winner of Holloway/Porier? Very unlikely would be a step back for the winner considering there fight is a #1 contender match
-Loser of Holloway/Porier? This or Diaz triology seems like the most likely scenario at the moment.
-Justin Gaethje... one from left field.

If Porier beats Holloway we could maybe see Holloway v McGregor for the featherweight title.

Gaethje is a good one. Exciting as hell and could actually surprise everyone. I also love Al Iaquinta. He deserves a big name again and beating McGregor could lock him in as the next best thing behind Ferguson for another shot at Khabib. I think with preparation, Ragin Al could maybe take him

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Israel is about as likeable as a case of genital warts for mine.

Don’t get the hype. At all.

The guy was running his mouth and calling for Whittaker to be stripped while he was in hospital having emergency surgery for a collapsed bowel.

This was pre Gastellum fight his only real win. Opportunistic over hyped scumbag.

Also s**t talking Australia....only a matter of time until this clown starts spouting African supremacist bullshit and slagging off white people.

As for Conor...only one fight to make at this point that wouldn’t look like an anti climax to the casual (v Cowboy v Iaquinta v Gaetje etc).....it’s Conor V Tony.

Winner fights winner of Khabib V Poirier for title. Done.

Last edited:

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
As for Conor...only one fight to make at this point that wouldn’t look like an anti climax to the casual (v Cowboy v Iaquinta v Gaetje etc).....it’s Conor V Tony.

Winner fights winner of Khabib V Poirier for title. Done.

You been following closely or what?

Ferguson could be MIA for a long time. Mental health issues, partner got a restraining order against him etc.

I can’t see the ufc rushing him back anytime soon.

The ufc was already trying to make McGregor v Cerrone. Now it makes even more sense. Only other fighter in the #1 contender conversation is Justin Gaethje.

McGregor/Cerrone/Gaethje - two of these will fight each other and it will be a #1 contender fight.

UFCs first choice will be McGregor v Cerrone.
Ufc 240 late July doesn’t have any fights scheduled for it yet hmmm.

Back