Mega Thread 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think he's rumoured to be boxing Luke Keeler. Keeler is a pretty average boxer (but an actual boxer nonetheless so should beat Mac) probably a decent scrap unlike MayMac was.

Though I can't see this being much of a money maker, Keeler isn't known + why would the UFC let him box someone who isn't going to pocket them $10M+.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like McGregor, both the fighter and the one-man publicity machine.

But Poirier said it best: this guy used to apologise to nobody, and suddenly he is apologising to everybody.

That interview with Ariel or whatever his name is was cringeworthy stuff. Fires in the Amazon?

I hope McGregor sorts his personal s**t out, could be an entertaining fighter for a few more years and an entertaining personality well beyond that.

12 weeks

- When asked if he’d ever go to Dagestan

“You know....I wouldn’t go to Dagestan to take a sh!t....and that’s the truth”

But the thing I liked most hearing from the Moscow presser was McGregor’s desire to compete multiple times next year.

Helwani on twitter thinks it’s between Cerrone & Gaethje for the January fight.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
yeah i read a bit seems he wants to take 3 fights and look at it like a season, cerrone or Gaethje more likely the cowboy. then he want the winner of BMF and then want the winner of the eagle and Ferg. high hopes bringing the money and making it happen not a problem will he get the wins to progress far enough.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
TBH we got no idea how he is going to look, its been a long time

Yep. A lot of people forget just how good he was when he was 100% focused on MMA.
IF he could beat Gaethje/Cerrone , Diaz/Masdival & then Khabib twice (would need to win trilogy as well) he would put himself back in the GOAT conversation.

There's no way I'd be fighting Gathje. He's got way too much KO power and hype. Cowboy is getting older, had a couple of losses in a row, and is a much safer bet for Connor. Justin would be very happy to stand and bang with Connor until someone drops.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
There's no way I'd be fighting Gathje. He's got way too much KO power and hype. Cowboy is getting older, had a couple of losses in a row, and is a much safer bet for Connor. Justin would be very happy to stand and bang with Connor until someone drops.
Gaethje would smoke Conor inside 2 rounds

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland

Cerrone is a much worse match up for Conor IMO. Gaethje has a bad habit of blocking punches with his face and outside of leg kicks (which, while excellent are negated a bit by Conor being a lefty) he pretty much just boxes. Cerrone has shown excellent offensive wrestling, kicks at all three levels and very good BJJ on top of good hands. I honestly think Conor would KO Gaethje and have a lot of trouble with even this version of Cerrone.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Cerrone is a much worse match up for Conor IMO. Gaethje has a bad habit of blocking punches with his face and outside of leg kicks (which, while excellent are negated a bit by Conor being a lefty) he pretty much just boxes. Cerrone has shown excellent offensive wrestling, kicks at all three levels and very good BJJ on top of good hands. I honestly think Conor would KO Gaethje and have a lot of trouble with even this version of Cerrone.

The thing is Gaethje has amazing wrestling, he just chooses to stand & bang with everyone

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
The thing is Gaethje has amazing wrestling, he just chooses to stand & bang with everyone

I know he's got great credentials on paper, but he uses them to keep fights standing. Against both Poirier and Alvarez he had the same advantage, but stayed standing the whole fight and got KO'd. I expect he will do the same against Conor.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know he's got great credentials on paper, but he uses them to keep fights standing. Against both Poirier and Alvarez he had the same advantage, but stayed standing the whole fight and got KO'd. I expect he will do the same against Conor.
He's also changed tact in his last couple of fights though, no longer charging in head first and taking damage to get the KO. He's become a lot more of a technical fighter interestingly - which he has reflected on numerous times. who knows how that plays out in future.

Back