Mega Thread 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor

Remove this Banner Ad

thought this was interesting:

He'd be tailor-made for Conor. He doesn't use his wrestling. Is a brawler. Can take a hit. Suspect cardio

Only worry is the leg kicks but we heard that with Aldo too. I think he'd get picked apart like Alvarez was and the gulf in striking would stick out. Unlike Cowboy he's got a bit of hype behind him now too.

From all reports it’s McGregor v Cowboy.

That tweet is because Gaethje has been calling McGregor out for a while now hoping for a payday.

thought this was interesting:

He'd be tailor-made for Conor. He doesn't use his wrestling. Is a brawler. Can take a hit. Suspect cardio

Only worry is the leg kicks but we heard that with Aldo too. I think he'd get picked apart like Alvarez was and the gulf in striking would stick out. Unlike Cowboy he's got a bit of hype behind him now too.

He walked through Cowboy though. I don't think Dana wants Conor fighting Gaethje as it's too much of a risk (even though it would still be a 60/40% chance Conor wins). Cowboy is the % matchup as far as the most credible opponent for Conor that Conor can fairly confidently pencil in as a win.

He walked through Cowboy though. I don't think Dana wants Conor fighting Gaethje as it's too much of a risk (even though it would still be a 60/40% chance Conor wins). Cowboy is the % matchup as far as the most credible opponent for Conor that Conor can fairly confidently pencil in as a win.
It's an interesting one.

Cowboy goes to water whenever anyone gets him slightly miffed (diaz), hence the reason why he pretty much responds to giving his opponent a wristie before fighting. Cowboy could also just decide to take Conor down.

Personally I think Gaethje is the safer option because he is stubborn and gets rocked in 95% of his fights. Yes Cowboy is the bigger draw but like the Frankie discussion, most people wouldn't buy it as legitimate and would see it as more of a fluff fight.

I want to see it too because Masvidal hype has gotten way too big. People love the "I don't give a * attitude" and that increases Masvidals mystique even more. Just like it did to Diaz after Conor vs. Diaz 1.

If they fight, Conor does not have to worry about the threat of a takedown or BJJ and that is massive for Conor. I think the only worry is cardio but Masvidal doesn't really push the pace like Diaz does.

I like Masvidal but he lost to Thompson 30-27, 30-26, 30-27 less than 2 years ago.

Till won the first round and it's Masvidal's experience that set up the traps that caught him with the left hook.

He's 5-4 at Welterweight - 0.51 knockdowns per 15 minutes.

I know Conor lost his last fight and in the short term memory world we live in that makes him "s**t and overrated" but people forget he knocked down Nate 3 times before the first minute of the 2nd round.

Conor minced his face:

1572822524685.png

It's the perfect time for Conor to come back. He'd get to fight someone on a big hype high...a striker...that decisioned Ross Pearson 3 years ago. There are levels to striking and I think Conor's is a little higher than Masvidal's.

The UFC would be wise to not match them up because Masvidal can generate money on his own terms at the moment. Without GSP, Conor, Ronda, Brock, and JBJ being JBJ they've lacked real star power. They have that with Masvidal and Izzy. If Conor fights Masvidal and squashes that it goes back to him.

In saying that I think Covington or Usman crush Masvidal so it's probably better if he loses to Conor vs. getting manhandled and mauled for 5 rounds against a wrestler.

I want to see it too because Masvidal hype has gotten way too big. People love the "I don't give a fu** attitude" and that increases Masvidals mystique even more. Just like it did to Diaz after Conor vs. Diaz 1.

If they fight, Conor does not have to worry about the threat of a takedown or BJJ and that is massive for Conor. I think the only worry is cardio but Masvidal doesn't really push the pace like Diaz does.

I like Masvidal but he lost to Thompson 30-27, 30-26, 30-27 less than 2 years ago.

Till won the first round and it's Masvidal's experience that set up the traps that caught him with the left hook.

He's 5-4 at Welterweight - 0.51 knockdowns per 15 minutes.

I know Conor lost his last fight and in the short term memory world we live in that makes him "s**t and overrated" but people forget he knocked down Nate 3 times before the first minute of the 2nd round.

Conor minced his face:

View attachment 774167

It's the perfect time for Conor to come back. He'd get to fight someone on a big hype high...a striker...that decisioned Ross Pearson 3 years ago. There are levels to striking and I think Conor's is a little higher than Masvidal's.

The UFC would be wise to not match them up because Masvidal can generate money on his own terms at the moment. Without GSP, Conor, Ronda, Brock, and JBJ being JBJ they've lacked real star power. They have that with Masvidal and Izzy. If Conor fights Masvidal and squashes that it goes back to him.

In saying that I think Covington or Usman crush Masvidal so it's probably better if he loses to Conor vs. getting manhandled and mauled for 5 rounds against a wrestler.

I'm sure Jorge is shaking in his boots at the thought of fighting another wrestler. :$ I would like to see him fight Colby though, purely for the build up. The big question is who's corner would DJT be in?

I think Conor should be focusing on getting the W over Cowboy instead of looking past him. Or has he lost interest in that fight for his return already?

A lot of good planning went into the Askren fight:

Against Lawler he came out to the centre of the cage and level changed with his arms out wide and head to the left-hand side as he shoots for the double.

1572823842595.png

It's predictable and Masvidal expected Askren to do the exact same thing...and he did.

1572823995541.png 1572824060284.png

You can pretty much cut Lawler out and glue in Masvidal and Askren would be in the exact same spot. Usman and Covington won't make that mistake and they are different animals. They are UFC calibre fighters and all the other fighters in the division would be trying to avoid them at all costs.

I don't think Conor should fight Cowboy. Stylistically Cowboy is a tougher fight due to his grappling. Cowboy is an excellent grappler. Beating him does little for Conor as Cowboy is pretty much done. His chin is shot and the fight frequency is catching up to him. Conor should fight Masvidal or Gaethje imo.

Attachments

• 1572824017493.png
    1572824017493.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 129
A lot of good planning went into the Askren fight:

Against Lawler he came out to the centre of the cage and level changed with his arms out wide and head to the left-hand side as he shoots for the double.

View attachment 774173

It's predictable and Masvidal expected Askren to do the exact same thing...and he did.

View attachment 774175View attachment 774177

You can pretty much cut Lawler out and glue in Masvidal and Askren would be in the exact same spot. Usman and Covington won't make that mistake and they are different animals. They are UFC calibre fighters and all the other fighters in the division would be trying to avoid them at all costs.

I don't think Conor should fight Cowboy. Stylistically Cowboy is a tougher fight due to his grappling. Cowboy is an excellent grappler. Beating him does little for Conor as Cowboy is pretty much done. His chin is shot and the fight frequency is catching up to him. Conor should fight Masvidal or Gaethje imo.

Yeah, I'm familiar with all of that. (I watch and read a lot of MMA content/analysis)

Jorge would be too big & too powerful for Conor at 170lb IMO and I just don't see the fight happening at 155 especially since Jorge is now a title contender at WW, it doesn't make sense for him to go back down LW just to fight Conor as it would look like he's chasing the Conor fight instead of the other way around.

If not Cowboy then Gaethje is the fight to make for Conor at 155 unless he wants to wait for Nate to heal and make their trilogy fight his comeback. Personally I reckon Dana has penciled Conor in for Cowboy, then Nate then another crack at Khabib in Nov/Dec next year.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm familiar with all of that. (I watch a lot of MMA content/analysis)

Jorge would be too big & too powerful for Conor at 170lb IMO and I just don't see the fight happening at 155 especially since Jorge is now a title contender at WW, it doesn't make sense for him to go back down LW just to fight Conor as it would look like he's chasing the Conor fight instead of the other way around.

If not Cowboy then Gaethje is the fight to make for Conor at 155 unless he wants to wait for Nate to heal and make their trilogy fight his comeback. Personally I reckon Dana has penciled Conor in for Cowboy, Nate then another crack at Khabib in Nov/Dec next year.
I don't think he'll be too big or powerful at all. Masvidal has spent most of his career at 155. He went up because his career was stalling there.

They both have a 74" reach. Masvidal is lean. I think they would just fight at 170. I'd say maybe a 1 - 1.5 inch height difference and they would come in at the same build. He made Alvarez look small and was similar to Khabib.

Too big and too much powerful I think is false and would mean little in a striking exchange as Masvidal proved against Till.

1572826780202.png

I don't think he'll be too big or powerful at all. Masvidal has spent most of his career at 155. He went up because his career was stalling there.

They both have a 74" reach. Masvidal is lean. I think they would just fight at 170. I'd say maybe a 1 - 1.5 inch height difference and they would come in at the same build. He made Alvarez look small and was similar to Khabib.

Too big and too much powerful I think is false and would mean little in a striking exchange as Masvidal proved against Till.

View attachment 774185

Hmm it would be interesting to see how Conor would go at 170 but how does that help him towards his ultimate goal of another title shot at 155 next year?

Hmm it would be interesting to see how Conor would go at 170 but how does that help him towards his ultimate goal of another title shot at 155 next year?
Against Masvidal he would declare that he's won the BMF belt and therefore a 3 division champ.

If he won he'd fight whomever he wanted. In that time Khabib would fight Fergie = Conor fights the winner. If he won he'd be back calling the shots.

Against Masvidal he would declare that he's won the BMF belt and therefore a 3 division champ.

If he won he'd fight whomever he wanted. In that time Khabib would fight Fergie = Conor fights the winner. If he won he'd be back calling the shots.

I know that's what he wants to happen but the landscape has changed. He is no longer 'the man'. I would think he'd have to face off against the #1 contender at WW before the current shotcaller (Khabib) agrees to a re-match.

I know that's what he wants to happen but the landscape has changed. He is no longer 'the man'. I would think he'd have to face off against the #1 contender at WW before the current shotcaller (Khabib) agrees to a re-match.
I disagree. He's still very much the man. There are just other things happening.

One booked press conference and instantly people will remember why he's still the most popular. It'd take a second for it to flood back. He lost to Diaz and it's "Nate is the man now. Conor is done. Hype train derailed" - wins a rematch and the 155 belt. If he wins his next fight he's even bigger.

He's basically the Trump of MMA. People hate him that much the aldo fans became the Diaz fans, then the Khabib/tony fans, then the Masvidal fans. People turn in to his every word and fight in the hope he stuffs up.

Even Masvidal is talking money, boxing, legacy etc. All the same blueprint.

McGregor-posing.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. He's still very much the man. There are just other things happening.

One booked press conference and instantly people will remember why he's still the most popular. It'd take a second for it to flood back. He lost to Diaz and it's "Nate is the man now. Conor is done. Hype train derailed" - wins a rematch and the 155 belt. If he wins his next fight he's even bigger.

He's basically the Trump of MMA. People hate him that much the aldo fans became the Diaz fans, then the Khabib/tony fans, then the Masvidal fans. People turn in to his every word and fight in the hope he stuffs up.

Even Masvidal is talking money, boxing, legacy etc. All the same blueprint.

McGregor-posing.gif

Yeah he's still popular but Khabib is calling the shots these days.

I want to see it too because Masvidal hype has gotten way too big. People love the "I don't give a fu** attitude" and that increases Masvidals mystique even more. Just like it did to Diaz after Conor vs. Diaz 1.

Conor has to worry about everything in a fight with Masvidal and it doesn't have anything to do with size. Conor of 3-4 years ago I would suggest would be favourite, but now I'd be putting the house on Jorge.

betting your house on a 50/50 fight probably isn't that wise.

I obviously wouldn't if it was a 50/50 fight. Till vs Gastelum I saw as a very close, well matched fight that I wouldn't bet on. Masvidal vs McGregor I see as being heavily in favour of Jorge so would bet big.

Jorge focused and inspired right now seems a hell of a challenge for anyone. When you factor in he’s never been finished in something like 20 UFC bouts, I look at that as he basically won’t be. He just picked apart Diaz and destroyed him with ease.

The wrestlers with super cardio (Usman/Colby) could well have some success if they landed early takedowns and tired him right out though. He can wrestle well but he will get tired. He would be a danger on the feet against either, I’m not sure he really Wants that fight that much though. He doesn’t care about the belt. He/Nate would have made way more than what Colby and Usman Will December 15.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back