The Nuffy’s Guide to an Alternative Reality

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Hello there board. PG here. Thanks for taking the time to read my thread :)

It’s been a difficult year for me as a nuffy. For whatever reason, my stress watching the game of Australian Football has gotten the better of me. On many occasions the trauma of watching has essentially outweighed the thrill when my team gets the win. And don’t even try to speak to me for any less than three days after a loss.

So, it’s time for me to turn it around, take matters into my own hands and learn to deal with the ups and downs of my team’s journey with a carefully crafted blend of hope and outright delusion. It probably won’t make my team win more frequently but it might allow me to reclaim my footy / life balance.

I am seeking your help compiling useful nuffy ideas and phrases that might help me adjust to a loss, big or small, humiliating or heart breaking. Any general delusions that you or your BF friends adopt to explain a loss would be very welcome.

Here is a few that I am testing out currently in a pilot study to determine what works best as a mood elevator:

My team lost because:

1. We didn’t show up in the second half

I rate this one for its simplicity, pithiness and breathtaking delusion. I mean teams do show up routinely for four quarters. They are clearly there, everyone can see them, and I suspect the AFL would respond poorly if we took off during a break for wine-tasting in the Dandenong Ranges. But imagining this is somehow the case seems a neat way to restore a sense of calm post match. I mean, imagine how good we would be if we stuck around for a whole match?

2. We kicked ourselves out of it

One I have heard before, and a bit of a favourite of mine. Undeniably kicking a lower score than the opposition does tend to mean a loss, so there is a nutty kind of logic here. I particularly rate convoluted theories where the winning team kicks 12.8 and your team kicks 7.9. I mean, yes if we kicked ‘straight’ and scored 16.0 but the opposition still kicked their 8 behinds then we would have won the match pretty comfortably as well as establishing an extraordinary record never seen before in goal-kicking accuracy.

3. The other team wanted it more

Now this one is an interesting delusion, given that showing up to play footy at the highest level while being indifferent to winning seems wildly unprofessional, and seeing your team in this manner shouldn’t be helpful or satisfying. However it seems undeniable that many nuffies prefer the great Australian myth of the lazy genius. I mean my team are CLEARLY the more talented list, we are just roguishly undependable which is much the better way to be then the boringly predictable winners.

I’m testing these ideas to see which works best as a post footy pick-me-up. But I would be grateful for some more suggestions of your favourite nuffy delusions and excuses and I’ll test them out too.

We didn’t stick to the process

If your Simon Goodwin ‘it’s a really even competition’

We didn’t stick to the process

If your Simon Goodwin ‘it’s a really even competition’
I kind of feel as though I want to illogically blend ‘we didn’t stick to the process’ with ‘we have no plan B’

I kind of feel as though I want to illogically blend ‘we didn’t stick to the process’ with ‘we have no plan B’
Yeah sort of. Although I think they’re a bit different. Not sticking to the process should mean we aren’t executing said game plan right. No plan B means when s**t hits the fan we have no response.

I still think no plan B is rubbish. Who has a plan B? Nobody. Plan B can’t be run harder, kick straighter, defend better etc. I feel most teams don’t alter structure that much.

Yeah sort of. Although I think they’re a bit different. Not sticking to the process should mean we aren’t executing said game plan right. No plan B means when s**t hits the fan we have no response.

I still think no plan B is rubbish. Who has a plan B? Nobody. Plan B can’t be run harder, kick straighter, defend better etc. I feel most teams don’t alter structure that much.
I’m certain that plan b is a product of a delusional mind-state. Other than throw a defender forward on occasion way too late. Making plan A work is problem enough for most teams.

No plan B is a code that means I would like the coach sacked

For Carlton fans it's:

4. Injuries/suspensions to one/some of our 33 critical players
5. Umpires
If you want to really up the ante, you move from poor umpiring to incompetent umpiring and then (best of all) corruption. Because it makes perfect sense that with the high reliance on gambling revenue, the AFL would risk the future of the competition to arrange for umpires to swing the results for particular teams for ‘reasons’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was fairly upbeat while everyone else was tearing their hair out in the last Freo rebuild.

I think the thing is, to enjoy the footy game first, your team second. I can enjoy a good mark/tackle/handball/goal by the opposition. If we lose, there are still a few good things done by your team and I appreciate da yoof as they progress in their career.

Do it the other way around (team first) and you are miserable when you lose - probably giddier on a win. But given that teams rebuild every so often, you are going to periodically spend years at a time feeling miserable about footy which sucks.

My way = less stomach ulcers and hair clumps falling out and enjoying more matches. Vs a bipolar kinda highs and lows way of footy fandom.

You must under no circumstances allow logic or reality to enter the equation. Case in point I am always amazed watching a replay how the blatant cheating by the umps to favour the opposition evaporates. I know it was there when watching live.

I find the only reliable method of comfort relies totally on schadenfreude. I would have been lost over the dreadful decades without the suffering of others through such things as drug scandals, Colliwobbles, handbaggers and of course the perennial Saints.
Such a sad indictment upon myself but there it is.
Got too much time on your hands currently PG?

I like when Paul Roos said Dees were tired, see I also need a solid 8 hours beauty sleep, anything less is very sub-optimal the next day.
I think Dees look a little bit tired right now. Must be very tired from being the best team in the AFL for so long during our 17 game winning streak and grand final destruction of the Western Bulldogs a year ago.

Obviously the absolute goat excuse is the umpires.

North have guys who can't hit 20m targets in defence, and our captain in waiting (Simpkin) is the league leader in clangers by foot, yet umpires are still routinely melted about by the fans.

And when the umps give it our way it's the coaches fault.

Never, ever the players.

You must under no circumstances allow logic or reality to enter the equation. Case in point I am always amazed watching a replay how the blatant cheating by the umps to favour the opposition evaporates. I know it was there when watching live.

I find the only reliable method of comfort relies totally on schadenfreude. I would have been lost over the dreadful decades without the suffering of others through such things as drug scandals, Colliwobbles, handbaggers and of course the perennial Saints.

Unfortunately Dogs, Dees and Tigers have won themselves out from an opposition perspective. Ski slopes, Ninthmond and the Dogs falling short in another prelim got me through the Laidley and Scott years.

Now we've got Essendon and Carlton too with the Saints schadenfreude. Sure, we're the worst team in the comp, but won a final recently, won more flags than the Saints, and not much over the Blues but it's been great the past 20 years watching them be miserable. Don't reckon we can laugh at them for many more years but they may save the best til last if they miss the 8.

Way way too much, Imet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back