The numpty questions thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We wouldn't have gone near Da Gooey if we kept pick 5. Not what we need.

Would have taken Peter Wright.

I was just about to come onto this thread and ask who we would have taken at pick five if we had had it ... not sure if thinking the same as TBD is a good thing or something I should be a tad concerned about ... ;)

I'm trying to find a list of current AFL players with their current club and original draft pick. Anyone know where I can find this collated data?

I'm trying to find a list of current AFL players with their current club and original draft pick. Anyone know where I can find this collated data?

You'd have to go through year by year, but this should be what you're looking for if I'm reading correctly:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2014&t=N&s=P

Was there any group in particular you were looking at? Might be a club website or something similar that has the info if it can be narrowed down in that sense.

You'd have to go through year by year, but this should be what you're looking for if I'm reading correctly:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2014&t=N&s=P

Was there any group in particular you were looking at? Might be a club website or something similar that has the info if it can be narrowed down in that sense.
Ta, but nah. Nothing there to indicate playing status. Looks like I'll have to patch stuff together.

Collated, no.

The best source (if you have a HTML scraper) I can think of would be using the FootyWire team pages (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-carlton-blues) and then using the player links to get their draft info, e.g. http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--dennis-armfield has:

Last Drafted: Round 3, Pick #46 2007 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Carlton Blues

Word of warning that FW's info is affected by redrafts in the ND and PSD and RD like Tippett.

When Buddy Franklin and others run out to the left or right to kind of release their hips to help get a bigger kick happening why is that not play on? To me they are coming off the line of the mark or free kick or whatever and so it should be play on?

It a player came along who could kick the length of the field ie the other team kicks a point you give him the ball and he pretty much kicks a goal ... would they bring in a rule no kicking for goal inside the defensive 50 or just let teams get paranoid about kicking points or pressuring defenders to allow rushed behinds?

When Buddy Franklin and others run out to the left or right to kind of release their hips to help get a bigger kick happening why is that not play on? To me they are coming off the line of the mark or free kick or whatever and so it should be play on?
The "Buddy rule". He was deemed to not really be playing on, and that his wayward run up to kick was his"natural arc". A bullshit exception for a so called superstar. If he was so terrific, he'd be able to run & kick straight. I'm not sure they still allow it, as much as they did a few years ago.

The "Buddy rule". He was deemed to not really be playing on, and that his wayward run up to kick was his"natural arc". A bullshit exception for a so called superstar. If he was so terrific, he'd be able to run & kick straight. I'm not sure they still allow it, as much as they did a few years ago.

Loads of players do it now. What a joke it is. He runs 2 metres off the mark.

Same deal with kicks from outside play. The player runs off the mark (the invisible straight line to opposition goal) or called play on if taking too long outside of play. Should be a throw in.

Actually, another con that really irks me is forwards (after a mark or free kick) "cribbing" off the mark to improve the angle.

They invariably try to improve the angle by up to 20 degrees on occasions and then we have this farcical situation where the umpires supposedly bring them back to the "correct angle"

Except it almost never ends up being the correct angle. Basically ends up somewhere in between, almost like a mutually negotiated position. The forward puts in an ambit claim, the umpire says "oh no you don't", the player adjusts a bit, the ump gives a bit and then the forward ends up with a better deal anyway.

Bollocks I say.

The umps should set the angle, give them one warning and if they don't comply within (say 5 seconds) pay a free against them. Would put an end to the cribbing once and for all.

There's far too much bullshit like this happening in the game

Actually, another con that really irks me is forwards (after a mark or free kick) "cribbing" off the mark to improve the angle.

They invariably try to improve the angle by up to 20 degrees on occasions and then we have this farcical situation where the umpires supposedly bring them back to the "correct angle"

Except it almost never ends up being the correct angle. Basically ends up somewhere in between, almost like a mutually negotiated position. The forward puts in an ambit claim, the umpire says "oh no you don't", the player adjusts a bit, the ump gives a bit and then the forward ends up with a better deal anyway.

Bollocks I say.

The umps should set the angle, give them one warning and if they don't comply within (say 5 seconds) pay a free against them. Would put an end to the cribbing once and for all.

Umpires are cowards.

Bollocks I say.

Not a free kick, but play on. Saw a shocker in the Essendon game this week, where the mark should have been close to a 45 degree angle and the player 'crept' around to finish about 25-30 degrees in front, while the umpire was busy with the man on the mark. Wasn't adjusted at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have two prime season memberships both with access to the Septembers members bar. I have three friends who aren't members and we were planning on going this Saturday to the Carlton game. Obviously the two memberships I have cover me and one of my friends which just leaves the other two, I think I vaguely remember being told by the club that September members are allowed to bring one guest each into the members bar. It that right or do I need to alert the club beforehand?..

Here is one that someone has probably answered before, but how do you actually pronounce Schache?

In my head it sounds a fair bit like Skase! (well actually Skash)

Here is one that someone has probably answered before, but how do you actually pronounce Schache?

In my head it sounds a fair bit like Skase! (well actually Skash)

I think it is pronounced shack-e

I pronounce it Sha-heh. That's the German pronunciation at least.

Comes from the German word Schach which means 'Chess'.

got a call today from someone saying they were from the lions. They asked if i would put in $100 and it would go torwards a raffle ticket and some lions gear. Thought it was kinda weird. this is the number that rang me 0399040800

Remove this Banner Ad

Back