The numpty questions thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a rule about how strong the material of the jumpers need to be? Why don't teams make their shirts tear easier? Countless tackles occur as a jumper tackle only. Surely there's an advantage if the material tears easy. Would need to produce more to replace them during them game, but it's a little thing that could make a big difference.

Is there a rule about how strong the material of the jumpers need to be? Why don't teams make their shirts tear easier? Countless tackles occur as a jumper tackle only. Surely there's an advantage if the material tears easy. Would need to produce more to replace them during them game, but it's a little thing that could make a big difference.
Cotton uniforms?

Maybe we could trial it for the Women's team? :cool:

Re the blood rule.

Are there rules that make it so that it has to have happened in a contest etc? Thought occurred during the game when someone was sent off instead of taking their own kick that if you were kicking for the win from the 50 and the guy with the ball was out of his range ... could you (or a 'friend') scratch your face so you bled when Rich was 'accidentally' the closest one to you and so had to take your kick while you went off to be fixed up?

Re the blood rule.

Are there rules that make it so that it has to have happened in a contest etc? Thought occurred during the game when someone was sent off instead of taking their own kick that if you were kicking for the win from the 50 and the guy with the ball was out of his range ... could you (or a 'friend') scratch your face so you bled when Rich was 'accidentally' the closest one to you and so had to take your kick while you went off to be fixed up?

Sort of like "Fight Club"?

Re the blood rule.

In theory. However it'd be pretty obvious, a pretty niche case, and you're both likely to get a suspension ala Buckley's smear of blood on to Ling's jumper. Plus the "friend" would have to be Rich, right, so that he's the closest? :p

In theory. However it'd be pretty obvious, a pretty niche case, and you're both likely to get a suspension ala Buckley's smear of blood on to Ling's jumper. Plus the "friend" would have to be Rich, right, so that he's the closest? :p
Perhaps trip over your own feet and happen to gently head butt Richy's right knee, splitting your nose or eyebrow? Sounds like a set play to me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone clarify the key differences between the role of a CEO (Swan), HoF (Noble) and Football Manager (Francis)? I am particularly curious about the HoF and FM roles...

Can someone clarify the key differences between the role of a CEO (Swan), HoF (Noble) and Football Manager (Francis)? I am particularly curious about the HoF and FM roles...
It would change from club to club. Those titles (other than the CEO) don't actually mean all that much. The role of a CEO will always be to run the organisation in accordance with the strategic direction set by the Board. AFL clubs are now businesses, first and foremost, and the CEO will be accountable to the Board for the entire business - not just football. Clubs would be set up in divisions or units with reporting lines established that ultimately lead to the CEO.

I suspect the Head of Football will be the senior executive responsible for the football "division" of the organisation while the Football Manager will effectively be a middle manager role reporting to the Head of Football. I would imagine the Football Manager becomes responsible for the admin side of footy - property stewards, training arrangements, gym schedules etc.

The interesting one for me is whether the Head Coach reports to the Head of Football or directly to the CEO. I suspect it is some sort of dual reporting structure so the coach is not formally answerable to the Head of Football but still gives the Head of Football some influence over how the coach does his job. It is somewhat similar to assistant coaches who I believe report formally to the Head of Football (eg in terms of performance management, discipline etc) but take daily direction from the Senior Coach.

Who won the Gary Ayres Medal 2016 ?

Josh Kennedy just edged out Johannisen.

SYDNEY Swans midfielder Josh Kennedy has been named the inaugural winner of the Gary Ayres Award for the best player of the 2016 finals series.

The 28-year-old was consistent throughout the Swans’ run to the premiership decider, polling in three of the four games.

He trailed teammate Isaac Heeney by four votes and breakout Bulldog Liam Picken by one heading into the Grand Final but after a remarkable first half claimed the award.

Kennedy (18 votes) narrowly pipped Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen (17) for the crown ahead of Heeney (15) and Picken (14).

The Bulldogs’ depth was on display in the final tally with Luke Dahlhaus, Caleb Daniel and Clay Smith all finishing in a tie for sixth on 10 votes.

Meanwhile, Luke Beveridge and John Longmire were shown to be in agreement with the Norm Smith medal voters as Jason Johannisen received nine of a possible 10 votes in the coaches’ award.

Tom Boyd, who finished third in the Norm Smith behind Johannisen and Kennedy, polled eight votes with it being likely that one coach awarded the big man maximum votes for his coming-of-age performance.

Kennedy finished just behind Boyd on seven with Liam Picken, Easton Wood, Joel Hamling and Jack Macrae all picking up the minor votes.

568858_640x360_large_20161003130305.jpg

Bulldogs don't need Cloke

0:56
GARY AYRES AWARD (BEST FINALS PLAYER)

Based on coaches’ votes

Josh Kennedy (SYD) — 18

Jason Johannisen (WB) — 17

Isaac Heeney (SYD) — 15

Liam Picken (WB) — 14

Joel Selwood (GEE) — 12

Eddie Betts (ADE) — 10

Jeremy Cameron (GWS) — 10

Luke Dahlhaus (WB) — 10

Caleb Daniel (WB) — 10

Clay Smith (WB) — 10

GRAND FINAL COACHES VOTES

5-4-3-2-1 votes cast by Luke Beveridge and John Longmire

Jason Johannisen (WB) — 9

Tom Boyd (WB) — 8

Josh Kennedy (Syd) — 7

Liam Picken (WB) — 2

Easton Wood (WB) — 2

Joel Hamling (WB) — 1

Jack Macrae (WB) — 1

I feel like an absolute muppet for having to ask this - it feels like Chris Pratt with that whole "at this stage I'm too afraid to ask" thing but here goes:

With all the talk about the draft and who to look for and who is going at what position and stuff... how the hell do people just know what these kids are good at? Do you all follow the younger leagues as well?

Like take last year for example, everyone was batshit gaga for Schache and I'm over here like "oh cool, I guess he has some potential..."

Please be gentle!

I feel like an absolute muppet for having to ask this - it feels like Chris Pratt with that whole "at this stage I'm too afraid to ask" thing but here goes:

With all the talk about the draft and who to look for and who is going at what position and stuff... how the hell do people just know what these kids are good at? Do you all follow the younger leagues as well?

Like take last year for example, everyone was batshit gaga for Schache and I'm over here like "oh cool, I guess he has some potential..."

Please be gentle!

A handful watch some games in person.
A couple more watch some of the stuff that gets televised.
Most of the rest of us regurgitate stuff from the first two categories along with other media articles. Some of us own up to it and some don't.

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back