The numpty questions thread

The Roos seem like they have a decent history of being a well-run, relatively successful club...

...so why do they always seem to have struggled for supporters? Is it geography, time periods, ...?

Only a select few can possess the true shinboner spirit. All the rest just fade away.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only a select few can possess the true shinboner spirit. All the rest just fade away.

Follow up to this high-quality answer: what is the provenance of the 'shinboner' bit? Is it a guernsey thing (if you squint real hard a white stripes...) or some kind of violent heritage?

Follow up to this high-quality answer: what is the provenance of the 'shinboner' bit? Is it a guernsey thing (if you squint real hard a white stripes...) or some kind of violent heritage?
Back in the olden days they used to slaughter and eat the shinbones of players that were delisted at the end of the season, I believe.

Alas Smith

Senior List
Nov 5, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Back in the olden days they used to slaughter and eat the shinbones of players that were delisted at the end of the season, I believe.

Players left to 'hang-out and dry' at the top end of Arden St?

19619.gif

Soren Lorenson

Debutant
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sunderland
Something to do with the butchers shops on Arden Street hanging shinbones in the windows.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides

Sales yards, abattoirs and meatworks all use to be in Nth Melbourne/Kensington...The full-time occupation of their past players was mostly made up from the labourers/ butchers/meatworkers/ boners etc of the slaughter yards or meatworks. When Nth played their home games at Arden St ..the occupants of the surrounding houses(who pretty well worked in the same industry) would hang shinbones on their front verandahs to eerily welcome opposition supporters..

http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/3105

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Meat_Market

Attachments

• meat-market-door250.png
    meat-market-door250.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Du_key

Debutant
Feb 21, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey all,

Dumb question time - where can i find the match thread for the lions cats 2013 miracle on grass? I tried a few different searches but no luck. Is there an archive match thread area?

Hey all,

Dumb question time - where can i find the match thread for the lions cats 2013 miracle on grass? I tried a few different searches but no luck. Is there an archive match thread area?

Just read through it after seeing your post. What a good read.

Good to see people on our board have always overreacted crazily when down :p

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just read through it after seeing your post. What a good read.

Good to see people on our board have always overreacted crazily when down :p
Though we have been down more than a $2 hooker over the last decade, so plenty of crazy to go around.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
How do some Melbourne teams get new members and fans who don't have a long-standing family connection? I might be moving to Melbourne for work and have been looking into places to live and also some of the local footy clubs nearby that my kids could play for and was wondering about this. They have a few junior leagues there that Hawthorn, St. Kilda, Bulldogs and Essendon and perhaps Richmond seem to have some natural connection to as the local area is naturally considered to be 'theirs'. Collingwood, Carlton, North Melbourne and Melbourne don't seem to have much.

My dad migrated to Melbourne in the 50's. He was told to follow a team so he looked at the list and decided that he would follow the Demons as he had moved to Melbourne. He was immediately ridiculed for being a wog fresh off the boat who followed the most successful and richest team. The Hawthorn of the day I suppose. His future brother in law convinced him to switch to Colllingwood :(

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
How do some Melbourne teams get new members and fans who don't have a long-standing family connection? I might be moving to Melbourne for work and have been looking into places to live and also some of the local footy clubs nearby that my kids could play for and was wondering about this. They have a few junior leagues there that Hawthorn, St. Kilda, Bulldogs and Essendon and perhaps Richmond seem to have some natural connection to as the local area is naturally considered to be 'theirs'. Collingwood, Carlton, North Melbourne and Melbourne don't seem to have much.

My dad migrated to Melbourne in the 50's. He was told to follow a team so he looked at the list and decided that he would follow the Demons as he had moved to Melbourne. He was immediately ridiculed for being a wog fresh off the boat who followed the most successful and richest team. The Hawthorn of the day I suppose. His future brother in law convinced him to switch to Colllingwood :(
i hope your not going to jump ship briz? IIRC we had one jump off the lions and go to the cats last year.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
i hope your not going to jump ship briz? IIRC we had one jump off the lions and go to the cats last year.

No!! I may have to supplement my Lions experience if I'm only getting 5-6 games a year though...

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No!! I may have to supplement my Lions experience if I'm only getting 5-6 games a year though...

There are a few of us (I have noticed stickers on cars) down in the sth eastern suburbs.....doesn't have to be location support, no matter what anyone tells you.

Supporters of all the teams are spread all over melbourne.

Anyway, it was bad enough we had the GH5, can't have anymore fans desert us as well:eek:

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are a few of us (I have noticed stickers on cars) down in the sth eastern suburbs.....doesn't have to be location support, no matter what anyone tells you.

Supporters of all the teams are spread all over melbourne.

Anyway, it was bad enough we had the GH5, can't have anymore fans desert us as well:eek:

Sth East seems to be sort of St.Kilda territory for the juniors? Genuinely just interested how Melb teams grow their membership base beyond family support. Is it so big there that no one cares anymore about teams and where they live or what affiliation their local club has? For Rugby League in Sydney there are still people living in and moving to distinct places that most teams represent - Cronulla and Kogarah (St George), Manly, Penrith, Canterbury, Parramatta. Wests Tigers is a bit confused probably. In Melb though I don't think too many new people would be moving to expensive inner-city places like Collingwood or Carlton and Melbourne and North Melbourne have never represented much geographically. So how do these teams get new supporters?

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sth Eastern suburbs start roughly Moorabbin/East Bentleigh down to and past Mulgrave/Rowville, further along and down to Berwick/Cranbourne across to Frankston. Lots and lots of footy clubs and sporting clubs down these areas.

The Monash freeway goes through majority of the above suburbs.....also EastLink from a different direction. Hope that all makes sense.

I guess team affilliation starts with families way back somewhere, but those families then spread out over generations and so are found far and wide.

Very few of the clubs are actually in their original areas now anyway.

Sth Eastern suburbs start roughly Moorabbin/East Bentleigh down to and past Mulgrave/Rowville, further along and down to Berwick/Cranbourne across to Frankston. Lots and lots of footy clubs and sporting clubs down these areas.

The Monash freeway goes through majority of the above suburbs.....also EastLink from a different direction. Hope that all makes sense.

I guess team affilliation starts with families way back somewhere, but those families then spread out over generations and so are found far and wide.

Very few of the clubs are actually in their original areas now anyway.

I grew up in East Bentleigh and my brother went to Moorabbin SHS back in the day and we ended up as Tigers not saints ... and that was a looong time ago (and the parents generation were all Bombers so at least we escaped that!)

Back