The obscure XI's you've always wanted to make but never found the appropriate place thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically this is a thread of teams that really have little meaning but have sparked your curiosity. Do an XI of allrounders? Sure! Do an XI of players who only played 1 test? Why not? An XI of the worst batting averages of all time? Here you go! Basically a fun idea where you can put in any team you like. I'll kick us off with an XI of players who played only one test:

Andrew Ganteaume (+)
Rodney Redmond
Buddy Oldfield
Naveed Nawaz
Vic Stollmeyer
Albert Hartkopf
Yuvraj of Patiala
Mick Malone
Aubrey Smith
Charles Malone
Gobo Ashley

Charles Malone may be the unluckiest sod going around, took 11 wickets in his first test and is never seen again!

So basically this is a thread of teams that really have little meaning but have sparked your curiosity. Do an XI of allrounders? Sure! Do an XI of players who only played 1 test? Why not? An XI of the worst batting averages of all time? Here you go! Basically a fun idea where you can put in any team you like. I'll kick us off with an XI of players who played only one test:

Andrew Ganteaume (+)
Rodney Redmond
Buddy Oldfield
Naveed Nawaz
Vic Stollmeyer
Albert Hartkopf
Yuvraj of Patiala
Mick Malone
Aubrey Smith
Charles Malone
Gobo Ashley

Charles Malone may be the unluckiest sod going around, took 11 wickets in his first test and is never seen again!

Quality 11.

Gaunteume >>> Bradman

Cool names XI - based purely on some obscurity, outrageousness compared to their countrymen, or in a few cases, just names that I think are awesome

1. Suruj Ragoonath
2. Chadwick Walton
3. SS Das
4. The Nawab of Pautaudi Jr
5. Hrishikesh Kanitkar
6. Russell Arnold (I think everyone knows why this is a cool name - think context)
7. Noel David (see notes on #6)
8. Sean Clingeleffer (wk)
9. Murphy S’ua
10. Venkatapathy Raju
11. Mfuneko Ngam

12. Vangipparapu Venkata Sai Laxman

One from every test playing nation XI (except one of the new additions)

1. Gordon Greenidge (WI)
2. Herbert Sutcliffe (Eng)
3. Donald Bradman (Aus, c)
4. Sachin Tendulkar (Ind)
5. Shakib Al Hasan (Ban)
6. Kevin O'Brien (Ire)
7. Andy Flower (+, Zim)
8. Imran Khan (Pak)
9. Richard Hadlee (NZ)
10. Dale Steyn (SA)
11. Mutthiah Muralidaran (SL)

12th Man: Rashid Khan (Afg)

My theory was to start with the weaker nations over history and work my way back so Flower, Shakib and O'Brien picked themselves. Murali and Bradman were easy choices, and from there it's hard not to pick Imran and Hadlee for their countries. After that it was a matter of working through the countries left; India, West Indies, England and South Africa. Sutcliffe statistically is the best opening bat of all time, so he gets in. I was sorely tempted to go with a West Indian quick but I didn't think Smith nor Sehwag deserved to get in over Greenidge, and Steyn is the best bowler I've seen live, so I went with him and Sachin.

And a current day one:

1. Azhar Ali (Pak)
2. Dimuth Karunaratne (SL)
3. Kane Williamson (NZ)
4. Joe Root (Eng)
5. Shakib Al Hasan (Ban)
6. Kevin O'Brien (Ire)
7. Rishabh Pant (Ind, +)
8. Jason Holder (WI, c)
9. Patrick Cummins (Aus)
10. Rashid Khan (Afg)
11. Kagiso Rabada (SA)

12th man: Brendan Taylor (Zim)

The Australian 1 test played Test XI

1. Wayne Phillips
2. Jeff Moss
3. Paul Hibbert
4. Callum Ferguson
5. Stuart Law (c)
6. Shaun Young
7. Graham Manou (+)
8. James Faulkner
9. Dan Cullen
10. Chadd Sayers
11. Peter George

12th Man: Bryce McGain

Interesting statistic regarding Paul Hibbert I discovered - scored a FC century without hitting a boundary. Apparently an entertaining innings by those fortunate enough to witness it.

'current' guys who have represented Australia in short form cricket, yet to receive a baggy green:

D.Short
B.Dunk
C.Lynn
B.McDermott
M.Stoinis
A.Turner
A.Carey
M.Neser
C.Tremain
J.Behrendorf
A.Zampa

Plenty others about as well.
Kinda sad that the best spinner to have played ODI's/T20's that hasn't played a test is Zampa. Is this based on FC stats? Because if so I'd have Heazlett instead of Dunk and open with McDermott.

1. Gordon Greenidge (WI)
5. Shakib Al Hasan (Ban)
6. Kevin O'Brien (Ire)
7. Andy Flower (+, Zim)
8. Imran Khan (Pak)
9. Richard Hadlee (NZ)
10. Dale Steyn (SA)

My theory was to start with the weaker nations over history and work my way back so Flower, Shakib and O'Brien picked themselves. Murali and Bradman were easy choices, and from there it's hard not to pick Imran and Hadlee for their countries. After that it was a matter of working through the countries left; India, West Indies, England and South Africa. Sutcliffe statistically is the best opening bat of all time, so he gets in. I was sorely tempted to go with a West Indian quick but I didn't think Smith nor Sehwag deserved to get in over Greenidge, and Steyn is the best bowler I've seen live, so I went with him and Sachin.

Like it Eth.

I'd make one change

Viv Richards at 4 and send Tendulkar up to open and Greenidge out.

1. Gordon Greenidge (WI)
5. Shakib Al Hasan (Ban)
6. Kevin O'Brien (Ire)
7. Andy Flower (+, Zim)
8. Imran Khan (Pak)
9. Richard Hadlee (NZ)
10. Dale Steyn (SA)

Quality

Like it Eth.

I'd make one change

Viv Richards at 4 and send Tendulkar up to open and Greenidge out.
Sachin didn't open in Test cricket though. If it were Viv in, I'd be playing Kapil Dev instead of Steyn and opening with Graeme Smith

Kinda sad that the best spinner to have played ODI's/T20's that hasn't played a test is Zampa. Is this based on FC stats? Because if so I'd have Heazlett instead of Dunk and open with McDermott.

Nahhh just threw a few names out there.

There's also Worrall, Stanlake, K.Richardson, Tye, Abbott, Boland, Cutting, Coulter-Nile, Fawad, Swepson, Boyce, Wildermuth, Christian, and Heazlett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

best Tassie XI (with a test cap)

E.Cowan
D.Boon
R.Ponting
A.Doolan
G.Bailey
M.Wade
T.Paine
J.Faulkner
C.Miller
J.Bird
B.Hilfenhaus

Left out Watto :) as he qualifies for everyone
Doherty and Campbell miss out.
I guess I could've included Lillee and Holding :)
Not sure Eddie should count. Open with Doolan and bring in a native.

The Ugly Eleven

1. Graeme Smith
2. Kepler Wessels
3. Ijaz Ahmed
4. Andrew Jones
5. Shiv Chanderpaul
6. MS Dhoni
7. Lance Klusener
8. Mike Proctor
9. Sohail Tanvir
10. Paul Adams
11. Debashish Mohanty

Cool names XI - based purely on some obscurity, outrageousness compared to their countrymen, or in a few cases, just names that I think are awesome

1. Suruj Ragoonath
2. Chadwick Walton
3. SS Das
4. The Nawab of Pautaudi Jr
5. Hrishikesh Kanitkar
6. Russell Arnold (I think everyone knows why this is a cool name - think context)
7. Noel David (see notes on #6)
8. Sean Clingeleffer (wk)
9. Murphy S’ua
10. Venkatapathy Raju
11. Mfuneko Ngam

12. Vangipparapu Venkata Sai Laxman

Along with Russell Arnold, I never understood why a full blood Sri Lankan
would be called Angelo Matthews!

People who bowl legspin XI:

1. Len Hutton
2. Bob Simpson
3. Don Bradman
4. George Headley
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Graeme Pollock
7. Warwick Armstrong
8. Shane Warne
9. Don Tallon (wk)
10. Clarrie Grimmett
11. Bhagwath Chandresekhar

Nice guys XI:

Hashim Amla
Alastair Cook
Rahul Dravid (vc)
Sachin Tendulkar
Kane Williamson (c)
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Daniel Vettori
Mutthaiah Muralitharan
Ryan Harris
Jasprit Bumrah

Flogs XI:

David Warner (vc)
Mathew Hayden
Kevin Pietersen
Virat Kohli (c)
Javed Miandad
Sourav Ganguly
Ian Healy (wk)
Harbhajan Singh
Dennis Lillee
James Anderson
Shanthakumaran Sreesanth

'current' guys who have represented Australia in short form cricket, yet to receive a baggy green:

D.Short
B.Dunk
C.Lynn
B.McDermott
M.Stoinis
A.Turner
A.Carey
M.Neser
C.Tremain
J.Behrendorf
A.Zampa

Plenty others about as well.

The blokes you give international games to in all formats in International Cricket Captain, just to see how they do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back