The obscure XI's you've always wanted to make but never found the appropriate place thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Got me. Younis Ahmed's son was two years below me at school if that helps.
Yes, that's right, he played Shield cricket for SA.

The thing that everyone in that Pakistan team has in common is that they are all still breathing. :)

It's the oldest Test match where all one team's members are still with us.

In ODI cricket, that one is easy. Every member of the Australian side from the first ever ODI in 70-71 is still alive.

Last edited:

I wanted to make this an Aussie XI, but I couldn't for the life of me find a wicketkeeper, so I drafted in Warren Lees from NZ. :)

Archie Jackson
Les Favell
Brad Hodge
David Hookes (c)
Dirk Welham
Sam Loxton
Warren Lees (wk)
Monty Noble
Gary Gilmour
Mitchell Johnson
Jason Gillespie
Colin McCool was an all rounder but he does have 2 first class stumpings so must have been able to handle the gloves if you're desperate.

An Aussie XI of golden age players which never got much of a run in Tests, if at all...

Jamie Cox
Martin Love
Michael Klinger
Stuart Law*
Brad Hodge
Shane Lee
Tim Neilsen+
Ian Harvey
Bradley Hogg
Andrew Bichel
Damien Wright

Wanted to include Jamie Siddons here, but he was in his prime a decade earlier.

An Aussie XI of golden age players which never got much of a run in Tests, if at all...

Jamie Cox
Martin Love
Michael Klinger
Stuart Law*
Brad Hodge
Shane Lee
Tim Neilsen+
Ian Harvey
Bradley Hogg
Andrew Bichel
Damien Wright

Nielsen over Berry?

Jamie Cox
Martin Love
Michael Klinger
Stuart Law*
Brad Hodge
Shane Lee
Tim Neilsen+
Ian Harvey
Bradley Hogg
Andrew Bichel
Damien Wright

Would have Di Venuto in for Klinger and Siddons in for Shane Lee. Bichel got a decent run, probably switch him for an Adam Dale or Matthew Inness.

Would have Di Venuto in for Klinger and Siddons in for Shane Lee. Bichel got a decent run, probably switch him for an Adam Dale or Matthew Inness.
Plus that would put Love at 3 where he usually batted

And you could mount an argument for Maher too

Other than lacking a quality spinner, that Queensland team of the late 90s early 00s probably beats most other test sides.

Hayden
Maher
Love
Law*
Symonds
Hopes
Seccombe+
Bichel
Kasprowicz
Dale
Dawes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than lacking a quality spinner, that Queensland team of the late 90s early 00s probably beats most other test sides.
Maher
Hayden
Love
Law
???
Symonds
Hartley
Bichel
Kaspar
Dale
???

They had AB batting there for a couple of years.

Didn't he finish with the Shield win in 95? Probably just misses the cut off for a late 90s team. Would provide a spin option though.

Ashley Noffke's another option for a side from that era.

Lee Carseldine was floating around that QLD side around about that time too.

Edit: Geoff Foley & Clinton Perren as well.

Ah, yes Di Venuto is a much better selection. Was playing County cricket right up until the mid-2000s as well. I only slotted Klinger in cause I wasn't sure who else to put in there. Dene Hills & Dom Thornley aren't bad shouts either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back