The off topic thread #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In February, I received a letter in the mail from the Electoral Commission advising me I did not vote in a local election last October. This would be acceptable if I did not vote. I was there, with my girlfriend, and got my name marked off.

The letter which was received in February, gave me the chance to pay the fine - $78, or appeal. I obviously appealed, and they ask for an explanation etc. I basically wrote something along the lines of "On Saturday X October, I went to (local primary school name) around 9.30am, to vote in the local election. I got my name marked off, filled in the forms, and placed my paper in the ballot box. I would hope this does not happen again, as I obeyed the law, and due to your poor administrational skills, I have been accused of something I did not do. In future, I would hope you have more thorough processes in place to avoid a repeat", or something like that.

Get home from work today. Another letter from the AEC. "Your excuse is insufficient". I have to pay the fine by May 3rd, or I can choose to take it to court.

I lost my s**t. They'll be getting a call from me Monday lunch time and I will be going right through them.

Sign a stat dec this time that you voted, send it in and threaten to take it to the media if they don't back down. They will.

In February, I received a letter in the mail from the Electoral Commission advising me I did not vote in a local election last October. This would be acceptable if I did not vote. I was there, with my girlfriend, and got my name marked off.

The letter which was received in February, gave me the chance to pay the fine - $78, or appeal. I obviously appealed, and they ask for an explanation etc. I basically wrote something along the lines of "On Saturday X October, I went to (local primary school name) around 9.30am, to vote in the local election. I got my name marked off, filled in the forms, and placed my paper in the ballot box. I would hope this does not happen again, as I obeyed the law, and due to your poor administrational skills, I have been accused of something I did not do. In future, I would hope you have more thorough processes in place to avoid a repeat", or something like that.

Get home from work today. Another letter from the AEC. "Your excuse is insufficient". I have to pay the fine by May 3rd, or I can choose to take it to court.

I lost my s**t. They'll be getting a call from me Monday lunch time and I will be going right through them.
Is voting in local elections compulsory in Victoria?

i copped something similar to this in the last state election here. there were these marker things that you could give to the person instead of saying your name. myself and my mum used them, my dad didn't. guess the two that got told they didn't vote.

i definitely did. told them i did. never heard from them again.

Sign a stat dec this time that you voted, send it in and threaten to take it to the media if they don't back down. They will.
Yeah, mrs was with me and definitely will say I did.

I should also note what they deemed as an "excuse", is not an excuse at all. It is fact. I am so fired up, gonna destroy them on Monday.

Is voting in local elections compulsory in Victoria?
Yep, it's a joke.

i copped something similar to this in the last state election here. there were these marker things that you could give to the person instead of saying your name. myself and my mum used them, my dad didn't. guess the two that got told they didn't vote.

i definitely did. told them i did. never heard from them again.
Well yeah, I wrote my reasoning and sent it off in mid-late Feb thinking that would be the end of it, but obviously life had different plans.

Sounds super boring. Is it boring or do you enjoy it?
It's OK, I could think of worse jobs, but at the end of the day it's job that pays the bills.. We deal with builder's, so you have a few interesting conversations.

Yeah, mrs was with me and definitely will say I did.

I am so fired up, gonna destroy them on Monday.

Seems like the council has roused a sleeping giant, the old Cruyff is back!

-YwG5CHj_BWuF5K7OCp7qJpV9xs=.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back