The off topic thread 3.0

What would you like the thread titled?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interesting, of the 17 majority No electorates, 11 were Labor. 12 of the 17 were in Western Syd which (I think) is pretty low socioeconomic so I assume their reasons for voting labor would be economic based.
Would those areas be extremely diverse ethnically and they voted no on religious grounds?

Would those areas be extremely diverse ethnically and they voted no on religious grounds?

I have to say I think the more likely reason is a lack of education/engagement in politics. An inability to critically think generally sees people sucked into scare campaigns.

Lack of engagement in politics comes about because the only time we see our candidates is when it's time to vote. They do an amazing houdini act once they're elected.

I live in Western Sydney fwiw.

I never see my representative, that doesn't mean I can't follow the news, engage, and think for myself without buying into scare tactics and slogans.

I never see my representative, that doesn't mean I can't follow the news, engage, and think for myself without buying into scare tactics and slogans.
Why do you think Western Sydney all buy into scare tactics and slogans? Is that the only alternative for a differing view? You said 'lack of education' but there'd be so many reasons.

Why do you think Western Sydney all buy into scare tactics and slogans? Is that the only alternative for a differing view? You said 'lack of education' but there'd be so many reasons.

I think lack of education is absolutely the primary one. Engaging with information, critical thinking, and holding a questioning mind are all hallmarks of higher education.

I think lack of education is absolutely the primary one. Engaging with information, critical thinking, and holding a questioning mind are all hallmarks of higher education.
But again, I live in Western Sydney and I like to believe I can engage with information etc. I know you don't mean that the entire population is like that but it seems a bit of a sweeping generalisation. Western Sydney has quite an old population - is there a breakdown of votes within Western Sydney, broken down by age? That would interest me greatly.

But again, I live in Western Sydney and I like to believe I can engage with information etc. I know you don't mean that the entire population is like that but it seems a bit of a sweeping generalisation. Western Sydney has quite an old population - is there a breakdown of votes within Western Sydney, broken down by age? That would interest me greatly.
I'm not saying every single person, of course. I'm suggesting the reason why those particular areas had such a high no vote. There are plenty of other multicultural and religious areas of Australia that voted yes.

I'm not saying every single person, of course. I'm suggesting the reason why those particular areas had such a high no vote. There are plenty of other multicultural and religious areas of Australia that voted yes.
Of course, but to jump straight to 'lack of education' doesn't sit too well with me. It's obviously just because I come from that area but I can think of a few other reasons that would impact on that vote.

Ultimately I can't confirm my theories without a further breakdown but it is what it is I guess.

Coming from a low income area in Adelaide (Elizabeth), lack of education absolutely comes into play here. You talk to people about issues like this where I'm from and the lack of knowledge they have compared to people in other areas where they're more likely to have a higher education is astounding.

I have to say I think the more likely reason is a lack of education/engagement in politics. An inability to critically think generally sees people sucked into scare campaigns.
I see this as an issue come election time, particularly with swinging voters, but anyways, I won't say more in depth, I just feel the major parties never really change their stance on things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hillsong crowd in NSW can't be underestimated, that church has a big foothold in the state and most of them would vote no

Proud of Victoria having the highest Yes percentage out of the states

Living over here now it's obvious Victoria is the state that leans left the hardest. Makes living here without Port Adelaide bearable.

I know James Paterson through a mutual friend. He's a massive knob and represents the worst elements of the young liberals and the party as a whole. He's smart which makes him more dangerous than most politicians too.

The quintessential fogey campaigner inside a 30 y/o's body, he is.

Has a very punchable head, I might add.
Also explains why those hoping the far right die off are wrong. Just because the face of the far right is the old white male doesn't mean there aren't young guys ready to take their place.

They'll never die off, but conservatives are becoming heavily outnumbered with the increasingly progressive population. Good riddance.

Off to see Justice League now.

giphy-14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back