The off topic thread 3.0

What would you like the thread titled?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I’ve mentioned this on here a while ago but found out one of my old teachers daughter has been told she’ll be lucky to live until Christmas.

She’s 6 years old and suffered from a rare form of cancer for 4.5 years. They were on the last treatment option and thought it had been working, until they got the tests back. The tumor on the brain is bigger and it’s spread to several bones.

Life just ******* sucks sometimes.

Think I’ve mentioned this on here a while ago but found out one of my old teachers daughter has been told she’ll be lucky to live until Christmas.

She’s 6 years old and suffered from a rare form of cancer for 4.5 years. They were on the last treatment option and thought it had been working, until they got the tests back. The tumor on the brain is bigger and it’s spread to several bones.

That's simply heartbreaking. No doubt, it must hit seriously close to home for you. Above all, parents wish for their child's health - at the end of the day, well-being is by far the most important thing for all of us in this life. Our society is filled with ever so, let's face it, self-absorbed human beings, with daily concerns involving those along the lines of workload, sleep deprivation, the level of charge on our phones, relationships, level of disposable income to spend on items to satisfy our consumerist cravings, etc. Like far out, the thing troubling most before I read this post was that this evening I was dropped in on twice; one was a grommet, the other a goddamn bodyboarder. Pricks.

Upon learning of this poor girl's ill health, along with her family's prolonged suffering and now cruel reality, a wave of perspective washed over me; as I'm sure it has with all those in personal contact with her/her parents. If a bad experience at the beach was the worst thing which happened to me today, I'm objectively a very fortunate human being. Perhaps some of us are going through a difficult stage in life. Maybe there are some issues at home, work or in our social circles. Our sports teams may be underperforming, our bosses may be campaigners, Uni could've been really stressful this past semester, we may not look or feel the way we'd like to...

It might just be, that a few of us aren't exactly where we want to be at this stage of our lives.

Whatever it is, we have a future; the sun will rise tomorrow, we'll go about our day with purpose, looking forward, ahead in the direction of where our aspirations lie. To be frank, this young girl hasn't even been given a shot - an opportunity to at least dream of reaching her desired destination. Not only do I feel for her; her parents have witnessed the deterioration of their pride & joy right before their eyes. ******* devastating. I trust the community is getting around this family, Jatz. No one, no one at all deserves to go through such a sorrowful time. We should never take our livelihood for granted.

I know it's a bit of a Cruyffism but I got promoted today which is very pleasing and a filthily good pay rise which is what I care about more. Only started this job 5 weeks ago so pretty rapt that management like me. Nice little bonus before Christmas.

I've got 5 months left on my visa which is a bit s**t but I'm going to Rome with the missus in Feb and will likely pop the question. Shotgun wedding or elope if she says yes and then I can stay in the UK with her and continue my career here.

Been an action packed and at times very challenging, painful, confusing and stressful 12 months but I'm the happiest I think I've ever been right now and life is less of a chore and more of a pleasure.

As they say, It is always darkest just before the day dawneth.

Simply devastating to hear that. It really does hit home that mundane problems are mundane when you read something like that. About 10 years ago my parents god son died a couple weeks shy of his 18th Birthday, so I saw that devastating first hand. 6 years old is something else entirely (my niece is 6 years old and we all absolutely adore her). No parent should ever have to bury a child.

This child will be in a better place devoid of any more pain. I will keep this family in my prayers.

I know it's a bit of a Cruyffism but I got promoted today which is very pleasing and a filthily good pay rise which is what I care about more. Only started this job 5 weeks ago so pretty rapt that management like me. Nice little bonus before Christmas.

I've got 5 months left on my visa which is a bit s**t but I'm going to Rome with the missus in Feb and will likely pop the question. Shotgun wedding or elope if she says yes and then I can stay in the UK with her and continue my career here.

Been an action packed and at times very challenging, painful, confusing and stressful 12 months but I'm the happiest I think I've ever been right now and life is less of a chore and more of a pleasure.

If? Why on Earth would she do that? :tearsofjoy:

Can you not stay on a defacto visa anymore?

Congrats on the promotion. Fingers crossed I'll also have a Cruffyy moment between now and Xmas. Meeting a recruiter about a job that's 5 mins from home and is paying $40-60k more than what I'm currently on.

That's simply heartbreaking. No doubt, it must hit seriously close to home for you. Above all, parents wish for their child's health - at the end of the day, well-being is by far the most important thing for all of us in this life. Our society is filled with ever so, let's face it, self-absorbed human beings, with daily concerns involving those along the lines of workload, sleep deprivation, the level of charge on our phones, relationships, level of disposable income to spend on items to satisfy our consumerist cravings, etc. Like far out, the thing troubling most before I read this post was that this evening I was dropped in on twice; one was a grommet, the other a goddamn bodyboarder. Pricks.

Upon learning of this poor girl's ill health, along with her family's prolonged suffering and now cruel reality, a wave of perspective washed over me; as I'm sure it has with all those in personal contact with her/her parents. If a bad experience at the beach was the worst thing which happened to me today, I'm objectively a very fortunate human being. Perhaps some of us are going through a difficult stage in life. Maybe there are some issues at home, work or in our social circles. Our sports teams may be underperforming, our bosses may be campaigners, Uni could've been really stressful this past semester, we may not look or feel the way we'd like to...

It might just be, that a few of us aren't exactly where we want to be at this stage of our lives.

Whatever it is, we have a future; the sun will rise tomorrow, we'll go about our day with purpose, looking forward, ahead in the direction of where our aspirations lie. To be frank, this young girl hasn't even been given a shot - an opportunity to at least dream of reaching her desired destination. Not only do I feel for her; her parents have witnessed the deterioration of their pride & joy right before their eyes. ******* devastating. I trust the community is getting around this family, Jatz. No one, no one at all deserves to go through such a sorrowful time. We should never take our livelihood for granted.
That's certainly how it hit me. Before we read the news yesterday, I'd been laying on my bed, exhausted, thinking of how s**t a day I'd had at work. And then you come across that and the bad day at work all just seems so trivial in the end.

The hardest part for me with childhood cancer is that apart from the incredible suffering, they never get a go at life. She'll never go through school, won't get married, have kids etc. That just crushes me. We really are so lucky to be here - it's something I know I take for granted way too much.

The community has certainly got around the family. Even with small things like having meals cooked and delivered while the family is in hospital, having lawns mowed etc. Just the small things that can be so very helpful in such a difficult time. They're some of the best people I've had the fortune of meeting.

Apart from her parents, I also feel so desperately sad for her older sister. She's only 8 and has watched her younger sister go in and out of hospital for many years. Now they have to try and explain to her why her sister won't be around anymore. Just the thought of that is heart wrenching.

The only small solace in all of this is that she will at least no longer be in pain when she goes. I hope that provides some small comfort to her family in these very tough times.

That's certainly how it hit me. Before we read the news yesterday, I'd been laying on my bed, exhausted, thinking of how s**t a day I'd had at work. And then you come across that and the bad day at work all just seems so trivial in the end.

The hardest part for me with childhood cancer is that apart from the incredible suffering, they never get a go at life. She'll never go through school, won't get married, have kids etc. That just crushes me. We really are so lucky to be here - it's something I know I take for granted way too much.

The community has certainly got around the family. Even with small things like having meals cooked and delivered while the family is in hospital, having lawns mowed etc. Just the small things that can be so very helpful in such a difficult time. They're some of the best people I've had the fortune of meeting.

Apart from her parents, I also feel so desperately sad for her older sister. She's only 8 and has watched her younger sister go in and out of hospital for many years. Now they have to try and explain to her why her sister won't be around anymore. Just the thought of that is heart wrenching.

The only small solace in all of this is that she will at least no longer be in pain when she goes. I hope that provides some small comfort to her family in these very tough times.
It's ****ed. There's no other way of putting it. Watched the Being Elmo documentary last night and a part of it was a terminally ill little girl meeting elmo with her family and it was truly heart breaking

Good luck Bojan. I'm sure she'll say yes.

Well....not sure what to say. In the space of an hour, Alabama turned voting on its head, and turned a Moore 5% lead into a Doug Jones victory.

For a short while at least, my faith in humanity has been renewed.

Got a list of docos to watch from someone at work anyone on here seen any of these?

1. Aileen
2. Being elmo
3. Comedian
4. Get me roger stone
5. Holy Hell
6. No No: A dockumentary
7. The thin blue line
8. Under the sun
9. Wormwood
Being Elmo was awesome but then there were allegations about the puppeteer Kevin Clash that he had a relationship with a then 16 year old at the time and he soon left the show after that. All the claims were dismissed though.

Being Elmo was awesome but then there were allegations about the puppeteer Kevin Clash that he had a relationship with a then 16 year old at the time and he soon left the show after that. All the claims were dismissed though.
Were the allegations after the doco?

Watched it last night. Pretty good easy watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you not stay on a defacto visa anymore?

Congrats on the promotion. Fingers crossed I'll also have a Cruffyy moment between now and Xmas. Meeting a recruiter about a job that's 5 mins from home and is paying $40-60k more than what I'm currently on.
you can but you need to have been living with your other half for 2 years, have joint bills from the same address, etc.

I looked into engagement visas but they are only 6 months long and you can't work during that period.

Look luck with that job mate. A nice increase to the wedge before Christmas for you! !!

you can but you need to have been living with your other half for 2 years, have joint bills from the same address, etc.

I looked into engagement visas but they are only 6 months long and you can't work during that period.

Look luck with that job mate. A nice increase to the wedge before Christmas for you! !!
Yeah wasn't sure how long you'd been living together. They're pretty thorough with their checks too so you can't really make it up either.

Since I'm a little more junior to what they originally thought (but they also want someone not too senior to get their hands dirty) the recruiter is pitching me about $10k lower than what is listed. The only problem could be burning bridges in my current role. But we'll cross that bridge when it comes

Yeah wasn't sure how long you'd been living together. They're pretty thorough with their checks too so you can't really make it up either.

Since I'm a little more junior to what they originally thought (but they also want someone not too senior to get their hands dirty) the recruiter is pitching me about $10k lower than what is listed. The only problem could be burning bridges in my current role. But we'll cross that bridge when it comes
Sounds good mate. wouldn't worry about burning bridges. Employers and employees aren't loyal unless you are working for a small business. Besides, nobody is going to begrudge you for that kind of pay rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back