The off topic thread 3.0

What would you like the thread titled?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh an I have no idea how that came across as a homophobic jab. You're just finding reasons to be offended SM.

Which probably explains the different mindsets between the two arguments.
Er no, he's implying that he'd be scared of a gay person walking behind him in the dark doing nothing wrong. No idea how that comes across any other way. Jd chiming in on the act is pretty poor as well.

But if they make him feel uncomfortable why should they not cross the road?
I said that...

"If they know they're making you uncomfortable, they absolutely should." again, what are you trying to say other than to excuse your own self-absorbed behavior?

Er no, he's implying that he'd be scared of a gay person walking behind him in the dark doing nothing wrong. No idea how that comes across any other way. Jd chiming in on the act is pretty poor as well.
By that logic, he's also implying he'd be scared of an ethnic person walking behind him. I assume you also think there was a racist jab there?

You're seriously just looking for reasons to be offended.

By that logic, he's also implying he'd be scared of an ethnic person walking behind him. I assume you also think there was a racist jab there?

You're seriously just looking for reasons to be offended.
Yeah well I wasn't going the whole package because it was a pretty deplorable strawman.

I'm not looking for reasons to be offended, particularly since I'm not offended since I'm not gay or an ethnic minority. But hey, minor details.

Much more important for blokes to express that they don't give a * about anyone else and they'll walk where they want.

Maybe in an empty train carriage they'll go sit right next to some hot chick because hey, they aren't doing anything wrong and * her for feeling uncomfortable and expecting anything of them as a decent person.

Right?

How is it self absorbed? Is the lady in RPCB's post self absorbed too?
By not being aware of how your actions affect other people. Come on mate it's really not as hard as you're making it.

Yeah well I wasn't going the whole package because it was a pretty deplorable strawman.

I'm not looking for reasons to be offended, particularly since I'm not offended since I'm not gay or an ethnic minority. But hey, minor details.

Much more important for blokes to express that they don't give a **** about anyone else and they'll walk where they want.

Maybe in an empty train carriage they'll go sit right next to some hot chick because hey, they aren't doing anything wrong and **** her for feeling uncomfortable and expecting anything of them as a decent person.

Right?
Hahaha that train example isn't the same at all.

The equivalent is an empty train carriage where you sit 2-3 rows behind any woman (why does she have to be hot? How's that relevant?). Is it wrong to do that, because she might feel uncomfortable?

Being the white knight you are, you'd move to a completely different carriage right?

Hahaha that train example isn't the same at all.

The equivalent is an empty train carriage where you sit 2-3 rows behind any woman (why does she have to be hot? How's that relevant?). Is it wrong to do that, because she might feel uncomfortable?

Being the white knight you are, you'd move to a completely different carriage right?

Isn't it? Empty street, plenty of places to walk - either far back from her, in front of her, other side of the street - but hey let's walk close behind her because who the * cares how she feels?

I dunno why she has to be hot, just trying to get in the mindset of this boys club.

Ah there goes the name calling, right on cue. :)

Here's a dilemma.

You're walking behind a woman and get the feeling she might be uncomfortable. So you decide you'll cross the road. On the other side of the road, however, is another woman you'd be walking behind. You going across the road to walk behind her might make Woman 2 think you've crossed specifically to follow her, thus making her less comfortable than Woman 1.

What do?

Here's a dilemma.

You're walking behind a woman and get the feeling she might be uncomfortable. So you decide you'll cross the road. On the other side of the road, however, is another woman you'd be walking behind. You going across the road to walk behind her might make Woman 2 think you've crossed specifically to follow her, thus making her less comfortable than Woman 1.

What do?

No one even said that the only option is to cross the road, and generally if there are plenty of other people walking around it kind of defeats the whole scenario being discussed.

No one even said that the only option is to cross the road, and generally if there are plenty of other people walking around it kind of defeats the whole scenario being discussed.
If it's only one other person though?
What are the other options? Slow down?
What if you're in a rush?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's only one other person though?
What are the other options? Slow down?
What if you're in a rush?

Well like I said in the first instance, I'm a fast walker anyway so usually I'll take a wide berth around them or make sure they can hear me coming so that they aren't startled if I walk past them.

Or yeah, just walk at a slow pace behind them so that you aren't walking right behind them.

It was a pretty simple discussion to start with but it got hijacked by bizarre scenarios to excuse why some wouldn't even consider how someone else is feeling.

Isn't it? Empty street, plenty of places to walk - either far back from her, in front of her, other side of the street - but hey let's walk close behind her because who the **** cares how she feels?

I dunno why she has to be hot, just trying to get in the mindset of this boys club.

Ah there goes the name calling, right on cue. :)
No, it's not. The fact you can't see that is incredible. RPCB wasn't walking right next to the woman. Therefore, not the same as sitting right next to a woman.

Haha trust you to get upset about being called a white knight. Right on cue.

Btw, you conveniently didn't answer whether you'd move carriages...

Here's a dilemma.

What do?
Walk in the middle of the road.

Well like I said in the first instance, I'm a fast walker anyway so usually I'll take a wide berth around them or make sure they can hear me coming so that they aren't startled if I walk past them.

Or yeah, just walk at a slow pace behind them so that you aren't walking right behind them.

It was a pretty simple discussion to start with but it got hijacked by bizarre scenarios to excuse why some wouldn't even consider how someone else is feeling.
Okay but now say you're surrounded on all sides by introverted people who are uncomfortable if you walk within 5m of them. If you were to attack any of them, not that anyone here would, none of the others would do anything about it. Also say that instead of a road you have to cross a piranha infested river with a very beaten up wooden boat.

Then what?

No, it's not. The fact you can't see that is incredible. RPCB wasn't walking right next to the woman. Therefore, not the same as sitting right next to a woman.

Haha trust you to get upset about being called a white knight. Right on cue.

Btw, you conveniently didn't answer whether you'd move carriages...

Why on earth would I move carriages? That's not even remotely comparable.

Trust me to get offended by you making a snarky remark? Quelle horreur.

Okay but now say you're surrounded on all sides by introverted people who are uncomfortable if you walk within 5m of them. If you were to attack any of them, not that anyone here would, none of the others would do anything about it. Also say that instead of a road you have to cross a piranha infested river with a very beaten up wooden boat.

Then what?

:D

Why on earth would I move carriages? That's not even remotely comparable.

Trust me to get offended by you making a snarky remark? Quelle horreur.
How is it not? You're sitting alone in a carriage, a couple of rows behind a woman. If she feels concerned, would you move carriages? It's easy enough for you to do and it would make her feel more comfortable.

How is it not? You're sitting alone in a carriage, a couple of rows behind a woman. If she feels concerned, would you move carriages? It's easy enough for you to do and it would make her feel more comfortable.

Probably because walking is an active activity where walking closely behind a woman would make her feel like you're following her?

If she kept glancing over her shoulder at me, or moving seats, or whatever, then yeah I might move carriages. As Soz said, if there's something simple you can do to make another human being less anxious, and it doesn't impact you in any way why not do it?

Probably because walking is an active activity where walking closely behind a woman would make her feel like you're following her?

If she kept glancing over her shoulder at me, or moving seats, or whatever, then yeah I might move carriages. As Soz said, if there's something simple you can do to make another human being less anxious, and it doesn't impact you in any way why not do it?
Because if she's anxious about it, she's perfectly capable of moving herself. Why does the onus fall on the person minding their own business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back