The off topic thread 3.0

What would you like the thread titled?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

General question since we all follow Afl and or soccer, would there be a different reaction to a caricature of Gareth Bale being drawn with monkey features to Adam Goodes?

Ive seen both depicted that way in the past

“Self-appointed” :D

Classic. The irony isn’t lost on me. As at some point in history, the white male self-appointed themselves into a position to decide what is racist or what is offensive.

General question since we all follow Afl and or soccer, would there be a different reaction to a caricature of Gareth Bale being drawn with monkey features to Adam Goodes?

Ive seen both depicted that way in the past

I've asked this question before and lends itself to the question of non-racist caricatures.

He meltdown was embarrassing, I bet she’d love that ten minutes back. It was very petulant. Her behaviour was understandably condemned.

Two wrongs don’t make a right though. A comic can still make light of the situation and draw attention to her behaviour in amusing way without resorting to archaic Jim Crow stereotypes of an African American.

How would you have done it?

So if he had drawn the lips differently this wouldn't be such an issue?

Seems a bit of an over reaction to me, but hey it's the world we now live in. Would have thought the death threats over a cartoon would be the bigger community issue.

Done what, the drawing? I probably wouldn't be brave enough to try :D

Yes, the drawing.

For most of us we wouldn’t be brave enough to try it but for a professional cartoonist who has made a career out of drawing different events for comedic purposes, it wasn’t meant to be offensive or racist. I doubt Mark Knight took that cartoon to print and thought it would rile up some people.

Yes, the drawing.

For most of us we wouldn’t be brave enough to try it but for a professional cartoonist who has made a career out of drawing different events for comedic purposes, it wasn’t meant to be offensive or racist. I doubt Mark Knight took that cartoon to print and thought it would rile up some people.

Yes, that's essentially what I have said a couple of times now.

Edit: Please note that the usage of the word "easy" is very relative.

I struggle to draw a straight line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About to go on a Cruffy life story moment here...

So our German landlord who is based in Shanghai tried upping the rent by $10 a week, we already thought it wasn't worth the price charged but needed something quick to move back from NZ. After I said we'd not be renewing he agreed to keep the price as it was. We then found something $60 a week cheaper ($480 a week) that is much nicer. I then found out off a neighbour that this was vacant for 3-4 months before we took it so I went back to him and said can he match the price, the next day he said no but would meet half way at $515 a week (not sure how that's halfway). I said no we aren't paying more than $500 and are signing papers Wednesday (today) so if he could let us know before then that would be great, no reply for 2 days so we go to sign the papers. I then give written notice that we are ending our lease and he replies within minutes saying I was actually going to accept your offer but my wife is in intensive care. He has ****ed around a bit getting things repaired or installed in the past for a number of quite out there reasons so I'm not entirely sure it's even true.

True. But it's point stands. It was easy enough to represent Serena without resorting to Jim Crow-esque stature.

Not in a caricature though which was the whole point I started with, that it seems impossible to lampoon the features of an African-American without it being considered racist. Which, if so, fine, no one should do caricatures of African-Americans. But does that mean we should stop doing caricatures of people full stop? Where's the line? Why is something racist for one culture but not another?

Not in a caricature though which was the whole point I started with, that it seems impossible to lampoon the features of an African-American without it being considered racist. Which, if so, fine, no one should do caricatures of African-Americans. But does that mean we should stop doing caricatures of people full stop? Where's the line? Why is something racist for one culture but not another?
Yep. This is the Bale-Goodes thing I was talking about. In this day an age I think the race card is quickly played for things that if done to another race/culture wouldn't be seen as racist

About to go on a Cruffy life story moment here...

So our German landlord who is based in Shanghai tried upping the rent by $10 a week, we already thought it wasn't worth the price charged but needed something quick to move back from NZ. After I said we'd not be renewing he agreed to keep the price as it was. We then found something $60 a week cheaper ($480 a week) that is much nicer. I then found out off a neighbour that this was vacant for 3-4 months before we took it so I went back to him and said can he match the price, the next day he said no but would meet half way at $515 a week (not sure how that's halfway). I said no we aren't paying more than $500 and are signing papers Wednesday (today) so if he could let us know before then that would be great, no reply for 2 days so we go to sign the papers. I then give written notice that we are ending our lease and he replies within minutes saying I was actually going to accept your offer but my wife is in intensive care. He has ****** around a bit getting things repaired or installed in the past for a number of quite out there reasons so I'm not entirely sure it's even true.
Why do you want to stay if the other place is just as, if not cheaper and nicer than your current joint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back