The off topic thread 3.0

What would you like the thread titled?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was on a live pay per view hard for them not be broadcast

I think he means the actual UFC fight as well as the brawl afterwards, but could be wrong.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
I believe the point Tom was trying to make is the concept of violence perpetuating other forms of violence. That’s how I read it anyway.

Leo Tolstoy once said “As long as there are slaughter houses there will be battlefields”.

His point was similar, violence inflicted upon fellow living beings has far reaching subconscious implications. That quote remains as true today as it did when he said it.

Violence is too easily desensitised by seeing it celebrated in one form (ie, UFC) but condemned in another (ie, punching someone in the street).

I appreciate the skill of martial arts and the level of training and mental discipline in takes for these fighters to enter the cage. But geez, some savage stuff happens within and I never enjoyed seeing the brutality of it.

Changing pace a little bit, but about 2.5 weeks until the big day - seems like it's been a long time coming! Getting pretty excited now that it's so close and pretty much everything's done. Just gotta write my speech and then I reckon I'm sorted. Anything I should keep in mind for the day (other than the obvious of enjoying it, not saying the wrong name, etc. :D). #SMupdate

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I believe the point Tom was trying to make is the concept of violence perpetuating other forms of violence. That’s how I read it anyway.

Leo Tolstoy once said “As long as there are slaughter houses there will be battlefields”.

His point was similar, violence inflicted upon fellow living beings has far reaching subconscious implications. That quote remains as true today as it did when he said it.

Violence is too easily desensitised by seeing it celebrated in one form (ie, UFC) but condemned in another (ie, punching someone in the street).

I appreciate the skill of martial arts and the level of training and mental discipline in takes for these fighters to enter the cage. But geez, some savage stuff happens within and I never enjoyed seeing the brutality of it.
I've never gotten into the UFC. It's just a bit too brutal for my tastes. Watching someone get knocked out is kinda sickening.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Changing pace a little bit, but about 2.5 weeks until the big day - seems like it's been a long time coming! Getting pretty excited now that it's so close and pretty much everything's done. Just gotta write my speech and then I reckon I'm sorted. Anything I should keep in mind for the day (other than the obvious of enjoying it, not saying the wrong name, etc. :D). #SMupdate
How great.

It was 6 months until ours Saturday just gone. We're well on top of anything.

I've started a very rough draft of my speech, really looking forward to making it.

Many people have said to me bring a spare shirt.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
How long were you with your fiance before you popped the question?

Cruyff14

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I've never gotten into the UFC. It's just a bit too brutal for my tastes. Watching someone get knocked out is kinda sickening.

It’s brutal, it just doesn’t sit well with me. I find it amazing that you can be both paid for or jailed for killing an animal, just like you can be paid for or jailed for punching/kneeing someone in the head.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I knew I shouldn't have watched this, nothing makes my blood boil more. How anyone could get enjoyment from harming or killing an animal is beyond comprehension.

A lot more common than you may think sadly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...drop-kicking-dead-sheeps-head-pool-blood.html

https://www.leaked.com.au/

And there’s thousands more if you search for it. A very well contained secret is the truth about slaughterhouses.

Unfortunately, there is a significant human cost to these hellish places too.

Slaughterhouses are General situated in low income and low socio economic locations, targeting unskilled workers who usually have little employment alternatives.

These areas also have a higher level of domestic violence. For killing an animal that doesn’t want to die, regardless whether out in the wild or inside a slaughterhouse, dehumanises one’s compassion.

Nothing humane has ever happened; or ever will; inside a slaughterhouse. There’s a reason we take our dogs to the vet instead when it’s time to put them down.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
I remember Glen McGrath posing with an elephant he shot.

I dont get the appeal, its not like its a great hunting achievement.
I lost a lot of respect for him when that came out unfortunately.

It would be so special to observe these majestic creatures, and any animal for that matter in the wild, I just can't fathom the desire to end it's life and destroy it's existence for others. It is so incredibly selfish and sickening.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I cant speak about animal cruelty as I just cant fathom it. It just blows my mind.

Yeah well done mate, you shot and killed a majestic animal from 100 yards away. I tell you what, put your gun down and walk up to that Lion, Tiger, Bear, Elephant and attempt to kill it with your bare hands. Let me know how you get on you ******* coward.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
In their ability to suffer, feel pain, and their will to live; an elephant is exactly the same as a lion, a rhino, a cat, a dog, a pig, a chicken and a cow.

Have always loved this image for many reasons. It shows our conditioned hypocrisy in only caring for certain animals, whilst being apathetic towards another.

288F624C-6B3E-41F8-930D-0587F0B68186.png

All animals seek and deserve life. However, we’ve been conditioned at a young age to accept and tolerate abuse of one form, whilst marvelling in another. This is speciesism, practiced daily by billions across the planet.

If you are against animal cruelty, then you already believe in the core concept of veganism.

I welcome you to watch the greatest documentary of 2018, Dominion. Filmed right here, from hundreds of hours of footage right here in countless locations across Australia.

Press play, and would love to hear your feedback and how any of this is acceptable.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
I cant speak about animal cruelty as I just cant fathom it. It just blows my mind.

Yeah well done mate, you shot and killed a majestic animal from 100 yards away. I tell you what, put your gun down and walk up to that Lion, Tiger, Bear, Elephant and attempt to kill it with your bare hands. Let me know how you get on you ******* coward.

Yeah don’t get it, it isn’t in me to be able to do it, I could never pull the trigger and then walk away and be happy with myself and live my life, people who do it are just sick.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yeah don’t get it, it isn’t in me to be able to do it, I could never pull the trigger and then walk away and be happy with myself and live my life, people who do it are just sick.

I’d say the majority of reasonable people would think exactly the same.

But cognitive dissonance prevents them from asking themselves the genuine question.

I pose this question very frequently when the topic is raised, which is usually met by silence or shrugged shoulders:

If you’re against animal cruelty, then why pay for others to harm them behind you’re back?

“If it’s good enough for your stomach, it should be good enough for your eyes”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back