The off topic thread 3.0

What would you like the thread titled?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was having a debate with a mate at work about who has the best national anthem. He was a big fan of the Scottish but nothing gets past the NZ anthem for me. This is just amazing.

Always been a fan of that anthem, it's one of the only reasons I've tuned into rugby at times. That and then the Haka, but once the game starts I switch it off.

Did I hear someone say best national anthems?

Yeah, we're really a bit lacking in that department. NZ's got us covered (Love the mentioned of Aotearoa, though what the heck is the third part in that Triple Star? The Auckland Islands?)

Italy, Germany, and France all rank hiughly. Brazil's a classic for anyone that started off a WC game with them. Argentina and Uruguay are stunning bangers too.

Best one? China (Don't hate me, Cooldude ). Really banging tune. Got a good rally cry in it as well.

Did I hear someone say best national anthems?

Yeah, we're really a bit lacking in that department. NZ's got us covered (Love the mentioned of Aotearoa, though what the heck is the third part in that Triple Star? The Auckland Islands?)

Italy, Germany, and France all rank hiughly. Brazil's a classic for anyone that started off a WC game with them. Argentina and Uruguay are stunning bangers too.

Best one? China (Don't hate me, Cooldude ). Really banging tune. Got a good rally cry in it as well.

You Maoist

What doesn't meet safety standards?
Cars now go too fast for the course, no gravel traps, no run off areas, there's a corner on top of the gradient where you can't see it until you get there. DRS

Webber, Schumacher and Barrichello have all said it is unsafe and if a track like this was pitched to the FIA it'd be rejected.

"Monaco is just a circuit of its own very unique character," Schumacher said. "In a way, you could look at it with a big portion of irony with regards to the contradiction that, for so many years we have successfully campaigned for more track safety, and then we deliberately race in Monaco.
"But in my view this is justifiable once a year, especially as the circuit is really so much fun to drive. Every time you go there, you just look forward to finally getting out and driving the track." - Michael Schumacher

Mark Webber, the former Red Bull driver, said: “You’d never design a track like this now. It’s a law unto itself and it’s right on the edge for all of us. And it can make you look as stupid as hell, because at Monaco there’s no difference between a small mistake and a big mistake. The result is the same, a trashed car.”

Cars now go too fast for the course, no gravel traps, no run off areas, there's a corner on top of the gradient where you can't see it until you get there. DRS

Webber, Schumacher and Barrichello have all said it is unsafe and if a track like this was pitched to the FIA it'd be rejected.

"Monaco is just a circuit of its own very unique character," Schumacher said. "In a way, you could look at it with a big portion of irony with regards to the contradiction that, for so many years we have successfully campaigned for more track safety, and then we deliberately race in Monaco.
"But in my view this is justifiable once a year, especially as the circuit is really so much fun to drive. Every time you go there, you just look forward to finally getting out and driving the track." - Michael Schumacher

Mark Webber, the former Red Bull driver, said: “You’d never design a track like this now. It’s a law unto itself and it’s right on the edge for all of us. And it can make you look as stupid as hell, because at Monaco there’s no difference between a small mistake and a big mistake. The result is the same, a trashed car.”
It's not that much more dangerous than any street circuit - that's the point of them. The bigger thing is they don't really race street circuits anymore. It helps you cannot overtake either.

That's it's biggest problem. Passing on that track is nigh on impossible and they keep making the cars wider. Incredibly noncompetitive.

It's a shame because the track is awesome.

It's not that much more dangerous than any street circuit - that's the point of them. The bigger thing is they don't really race street circuits anymore. It helps you cannot overtake either.

That's it's biggest problem. Passing on that track is nigh on impossible and they keep making the cars wider. Incredibly noncompetitive.

It's a shame because the track is awesome.
But it's part of the problem, pro racers are so driven to succeed that they're not going to accept that you can't pass on it and will try to do so. Wehrlein ended up crashing out with his car sideways up against the barrier last night trying to overtake.

But it's part of the problem, pro racers are so driven to succeed that they're not going to accept that you can't pass on it and will try to do so. Wehrlein ended up crashing out with his car sideways up against the barrier last night trying to overtake.
That was the only time all race that anyone tried to pass. Wehrlein was part of the issue there as well - complete lack of awareness where Button was and shut the door.

There really is no problem when they physically cannot pass each other anyway.

That was the only time all race that anyone tried to pass. Wehrlein was part of the issue there as well - complete lack of awareness where Button was and shut the door.

It's a great track visually. But worst to watch since there's so little opportunity for passes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially when they keep making the cars wider. Was already hard enough last year without making the cars the width of the track.
Try watching the formula E go around there. Pretty much it was a bunch of electric cars on a Sunday drive around Monaco!

You're missing the point. That makes it the problem, if they accepted you cannot pass then we might as well award the points and win to he who finishes qualifying on pole. They don't and there will always be someone that tries to overtake.

Always found F1 boring. Love watching the bikes though, so much more exciting.
Same. I feel you get a better sense of speed with the bikes, like you can tell they are going fast. I never got that with any form of car racing.

You're missing the point. That makes it the problem, if they accepted you cannot pass then we might as well award the points and win to he who finishes qualifying on pole. They don't and there will always be someone that tries to overtake.
Yeah it's in their blood to take risks and try and pass when it's not possible. Wouldn't be a pro driver if they didn't have that instinct

Always found F1 boring. Love watching the bikes though, so much more exciting.
Moto GP has really recovered since the dark times at the start of this decade. You had nearly as many point places as you did competitors (17 racers fighting for 15 places), and Suzuki even left the competition.

Suzuki is back, and things have gotten more competitive. Things are on the up. Hopefully more factory teams spawn up in Moto GP and get themselves back into the glory days.

F1 lost its appeal when they took away the danger element. No one liked seeing drivers die, but knowing they could gave it the edge that made it so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back