The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t try and judge everyone by twitter or message boards such as this where there is an obvious leaning to the left. In the wider culture things are far more centrist as elections usually prove

Not the question.

I find vote compasses a useful exercise leading into elections to crystallise which party best represents my position on the issues that matter to me, and what the deal breakers are for securing my vote.

As a result, over the last decade I’ve voted for both Liberal and Labor governments at state and federal level, recognising that their values and the values of their leaders have shifted a lot more than mine have. For me personally this makes more sense than nailing myself to a particular party and supporting them no matter what path they go down, like they’re a football team or something.

I appreciate this is probably easier to do in Australia where both the main political parties are far closer to centre than they are in the UK, and particularly in the US.

Again, see if you can find a reputable vote compass survey and see where you land. I suspect you’ll be surprised.

Last edited:

Anderson Cooper's reaction at the 45 sec mark of this clip is quite hilarious. Was watching live at the time and burst out laughing when he did this....

CNN is not a news channel, it’s a propaganda machine. I was watching it last night, their hatred for trump is akin to how the nazis whipped up hatred for the Jews in the press. Couldn’t believe what I was watching

CNN is not a news channel, it’s a propaganda machine. I was watching it last night, their hatred for trump is akin to how the nazis whipped up hatred for the Jews in the press. Couldn’t believe what I was watching
“I’m not into one sided juvenile leftist politics like you obviously are. I see things with greater clarity because I’m not riddled with white guilt or an overtly PC agenda - thankfully I avoided being brainwashed into that sect. I try to see things from all sides of the debate and don’t pigeon hole one side as inherently wrong.”

Hmmm:think:

Don't tell me the news network owned by Rupert Murdoch might be trying to push some sort of political agenda of his?

There should be a word for that.

You can scoff all you like but what I watched last night was pure conditioning and if you can’t see that then you’ve become conditioned yourself. I know the left love to live in one giant echo chamber but the reality is it’s polarising and divisive and it’s creating a hugely split country. What happened to just reporting the news or getting on pundits to discuss what’s going on from both left and right and everything in between? All I saw was host after host laying it on thick as to how bad trump is. Of course that’s a legit take but with nothing or no one to debate it it becomes worthless

You can scoff all you like but what I watched last night was pure conditioning and if you can’t see that then you’ve become conditioned yourself. I know the left love to live in one giant echo chamber but the reality is it’s polarising and divisive and it’s creating a hugely split country. What happened to just reporting the news or getting on pundits to discuss what’s going on from both left and right and everything in between? All I saw was host after host laying it on thick as to how bad trump is. Of course that’s a legit take but with nothing or no one to debate it it becomes worthless
Are you this critical of Fox?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a really weak troll mate, are you this desperate for confrontation? Not even you're this delusional.

This is a really weak troll mate, are you this desperate for confrontation? Not even you're this delusional.
What are you on about now? You’ve got the political debating skills of a 12 year old mate

What are you on about now? You’ve got the political debating skills of a 12 year old mate

Your lack of self-awareness is staggering. For someone who bragged so brazenly yesterday about being a centrist your hypocrisy is laughable.

Fox News is a propaganda machine for Rupert Murdoch a conservative. Maybe do a skerick of research about a station you 'claim' to have never watched. Like come on mate, you seriously expect people to believe you've never seen Fox News? Not even a single segment?

Maybe the fact that not even they, a conservative bastion of America, are 100% behind Trump should trigger alarm bells for you.

They were blindly behind GWB, and completely against Obama. They've been overwhelmingly positive of Trump regardless of them daring to occasionally challenge him.

Being neutral in the face of dictators is to actually give in to them. If someone with Hitler's views rose to power now, you would honestly believe we should hear them out and give them a platform to voice their beliefs, rather than decrying them for the evil they are. Being against someone like Trump doesn't mean that CNN is a propaganda machine, it means they've against immoral and unconscionable actions from a sitting President who opened fire with rubber bullets and tear gas on protestors just for a photo opportunity.

Your lack of self-awareness is staggering. For someone who bragged so brazenly yesterday about being a centrist your hypocrisy is laughable.

Fox News is a propaganda machine for Rupert Murdoch a conservative. Maybe do a skerick of research about a station you 'claim' to have never watched. Like come on mate, you seriously expect people to believe you've never seen Fox News? Not even a single segment?

Maybe the fact that not even they, a conservative bastion of America, are 100% behind Trump should trigger alarm bells for you.

They were blindly behind GWB, and completely against Obama. They've been overwhelmingly positive of Trump regardless of them daring to occasionally challenge him.

Being neutral in the face of dictators is to actually give in to them. If someone with Hitler's views rose to power now, you would honestly believe we should hear them out and give them a platform to voice their beliefs, rather than decrying them for the evil they are. Being against someone like Trump doesn't mean that CNN is a propaganda machine, it means they've against immoral and unconscionable actions from a sitting President who opened fire with rubber bullets and tear gas on protestors just for a photo opportunity.
As usual you miss the point because your intent is always to play the man. #civilwar is trending on twitter. A lot of this is stoked by the such polarised media over there so centrists like me have no channel they can trust. Please stay out of these conversations if you are unable to at least act like an adult.

As usual you miss the point because your intent is always to play the man. #civilwar is trending on twitter. A lot of this is stoked by the such polarised media over there so centrists like me have no channel they can trust. Please stay out of these conversations if you are unable to at least act like an adult.

Says the person who called me a child... Twice.

If you don't like being called out for hypocrisy, don't practice it so openly and with so little self-awareness.

It is stoked by a President who encouraged opening fire on protestors, who has reminded people of their arms and essentially encouraged them to take action, who has stoked hatred of all forms of media and mistrust in information (hey look, he got to you too!), and who continues to prey on people's fears and insecurities.

It's a dreadful situation in America, and your lack of awareness and understanding of what is going on is staggering.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse, and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
Desmond Tutu

It's starting to feel like you don't like hearing things that you disagree with.
So it's no wonder you dislike most media.

And please stop with the "centrists like me" thing. You have shown very little indication of being centrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back