The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah before each new season I rewatched the previous seasons and learnt new stuff each time.

Yeah, I think I will have another rewatch in the next 3 weeks when the series finishes. Nothing is ever disjointed or boring about GOT which makes the series so easy to just sit and rewatch as many times as you want.

Yeah, i grew up in the 80s and 90s and the TV nowadays is oh so much better(outside of the reality TV ****)

Yeah, TV over the past 20 years is so much better than what they’ve been in past blocks of 20 years. In one 20 year block we have seen The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, 24, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Friday Night Lights, Mad Men and definitely other quality programming that I have missed. Other eras have had excellent TV series but it seemed a lot more few and far between. My favourite comedy and cartoons came from the 1930-1950s (The Three Stooges and Looney Tunes) and two other favourites of mine (Fawlty Towers and Quantum Leap) came after that but to me, there is no competition with drama series from the last 20 years from any era.

Reality shows are just so damn stupid. I am still unconvinced that they’re not all staged actors. You have attractive women going on shows like “Married At First Sight” and every other garbage show of that type with the same story that they have trouble meeting men in the real world lol. Even cooking shows like “My Kitchen Rules” are reality with staged soap opera moments and that is just ridiculous when they’re supposed to be more “serious”.

Last edited:

Yeah, i grew up in the 80s and 90s and the TV nowadays is oh so much better(outside of the reality TV ****)

Yes agreed. Amazing how often this seems to come up.

Yeah, I think I will have another rewatch in the next 3 weeks when the series finishes. Nothing is ever disjointed or boring about GOT which makes the series so easy to just sit and rewatch as many times as you want.

Yeah, TV over the past 20 years is so much better than what they’ve been in past blocks of 20 years. In one 20 year block we have seen The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, 24, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Friday Night Lights, Mad Men and definitely other quality programming that I have missed. Other eras have had excellent TV series but it seemed a lot more few and far between. My favourite comedy and cartoons came from the 1930-1950s (The Three Stooges and Looney Tunes) and two other favourites of mine (Fawlty Towers and Quantum Leap) came after that but to me, there is no competition with drama series from the last 20 years from any era.

Reality shows are just so damn stupid. I am still unconvinced that they’re not all staged actors. You have attractive women going on shows like “Married At First Sight” and every other garbage show of that type with the same story that they have trouble meeting men in the real world lol. Even cooking shows like “My Kitchen Rules” are reality with staged soap opera moments and that is just ridiculous when they’re supposed to be more “serious”.

I’ve never seen an episode of GOT either however I know that’s inevitable. I was a late starter with Breaking Bad as well, and the big advantage is being able to cram in chunks of episodes at a time.

I don’t always deal well with the “wait until next week” approach :D

I’ve never seen an episode of GOT either however I know that’s inevitable. I was a late starter with Breaking Bad as well, and the big advantage is being able to cram in chunks of episodes at a time.

Inevitable that you will eventually watch GOT or inevitable that there are actually some people in the world that have never watched an episode? :p

Inevitable that you will eventually watch GOT or inevitable that there are actually some people in the world that have never watched an episode? :p

Inevitable that I’ll eventually check it out. I have actually been working on a man cave project the last year or so (or as I prefer, the batcave).

Inevitable that I’ll eventually check it out. I have actually been working on a man cave project the last year or so (or as I prefer, the batcave).

I’d love a man cave. I just have a regular old bedroom I watch TV in but a man cave would be awesome. The man cave smell is definitely there, though.

Last edited:

I reckon you'd love GOT.

Lol none of you know what was on the box 20 or 30 years ago. TV today is s**t, riddled with political correctness. Absolute waste of time

I reckon you'd love GOT.

From what I’ve heard about it, yes definitely sounds right up my alley.

I’d love a man cave. I just have a regular old bedroom I was TV in but a man cave would be awesome. The man cave smell is definitely there, though.

Will take your word for it on the smell :D

Yes mine has been in the works for a long time. I rarely talk about it though, and aside from family only a handful of people have seen it.

I don’t tend to do things in half measures so the planning took quite some time, and had to wait for the right opportunity to come (a long story short, it’s actually a separate little apartment within the same building we live in). It’s directly underneath, in true batcave style. It’s decked out with memorabilia, LEGO, comic books etc.

I stopped talking about it as a friend of mine works for channel 9 and wanted to do a little feature on it. However that’s absolutely not my thing, and I kind of prefer knowing it’s just for me and my son at the moment. I rarely venture in there these days however it’s nice to know it’s there.

Lol none of you know what was on the box 20 or 30 years ago. TV today is ****, riddled with political correctness. Absolute waste of time

What shows do you have in mind? I’m struggling to think of what I watched regularly outside The Bill (re-runs at midnight in the 90s). Never got into the CSI/Law and Order/ER type shows. Comedies like The Young Ones or Bottom...Cheers and Seinfeld (although neither particularly offensive - to me). Can still watch a Mind Your Language, or Are You Being Served, but they have dated badly.

There’s plenty of good shows today, just more on premium channels though. Network TV just doesn’t allow time for a show to grow, and will chop at the slightest sign of failure. Considering Seinfeld took til it’s 3rd season to get a foothold... 2 of my faves in the early 00’s were Battlestar Galactica and Lost. Neither would get a full run these days...certainly not on Network TV.

What shows do you have in mind? I’m struggling to think of what I watched regularly outside The Bill (re-runs at midnight in the 90s). Never got into the CSI/Law and Order/ER type shows. Comedies like The Young Ones or Bottom...Cheers and Seinfeld (although neither particularly offensive - to me). Can still watch a Mind Your Language, or Are You Being Served, but they have dated badly.

There’s plenty of good shows today, just more on premium channels though. Network TV just doesn’t allow time for a show to grow, and will chop at the slightest sign of failure. Considering Seinfeld took til it’s 3rd season to get a foothold... 2 of my faves in the early 00’s were Battlestar Galactica and Lost. Neither would get a full run these days...certainly not on Network TV.
Comedy has probably fallen the furthest of all. There’s absolutely * all on that is remotely funny now. Last funny U.K. comedies were probably the Inbetweeners, the Office and Green Wing. The golden age of U.K. comedy was probably the 70’s and 80’s though.

I suppose like you we used to produce our own television shows and not rely on all these yank imports unlike today. The one US show that smashed it out the park though was Dallas, which probably up to the mid 80’s was essential viewing until it utterly fell apart. It was kind of a cross between a soap and a drama. You had all the other non prime time US on the smaller channels though, Magnum, Miami Vice, Hill Street Blues, Cheers, Taxi... too many to recall.

U.K. had some great cop and drama shows, The Professionals springs to mind, you had a show called Minder that everyone loved, a very gritty detective show called the Sweeney. So many great shows it’s just utterly incomparable to what’s on offer today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol none of you know what was on the box 20 or 30 years ago. TV today is ****, riddled with political correctness. Absolute waste of time

It's a shame we can't re-watch old shows somehow. :(

Comedy has probably fallen the furthest of all. There’s absolutely **** all on that is remotely funny now. Last funny U.K. comedies were probably the Inbetweeners, the Office and Green Wing. The golden age of U.K. comedy was probably the 70’s and 80’s though.

I suppose like you we used to produce our own television shows and not rely on all these yank imports unlike today. The one US show that smashed it out the park though was Dallas, which probably up to the mid 80’s was essential viewing until it utterly fell apart. It was kind of a cross between a soap and a drama. You had all the other non prime time US on the smaller channels though, Magnum, Miami Vice, Hill Street Blues, Cheers, Taxi... too many to recall.

U.K. had some great cop and drama shows, The Professionals springs to mind, you had a show called Minder that everyone loved, a very gritty detective show called the Sweeney. So many great shows it’s just utterly incomparable to what’s on offer today

Have you seen 'This Country'? That's probably the best UK sitcom on at the moment.

Alan Partirdge is still around, Peep Show only finished a couple of years ago and The Inbetweeners is hardly ancient.

I think it's a bit premature to be announcing the death of UK comedy, although you are right that it is a bit thin at the moment.

Ep 3 of GOT was good, did make it hard to watch with the darkness though I must admit, couldn’t really see what was happening, but overall pretty bloody good.

Wouldn’t put it down as the best battle ever on TV though, LOTR takes the cake with that still.

Comedy has probably fallen the furthest of all. There’s absolutely **** all on that is remotely funny now. Last funny U.K. comedies were probably the Inbetweeners, the Office and Green Wing. The golden age of U.K. comedy was probably the 70’s and 80’s though.

A lot of those dramas I was probably too young to watch. Don’t think any jump out at me as appealing today either tbh.

I miss Chances :p great show for a young teen...

Ep 3 of GOT was good, did make it hard to watch with the darkness though I must admit, couldn’t really see what was happening, but overall pretty bloody good.

Wouldn’t put it down as the best battle ever on TV though, LOTR takes the cake with that still.
LOTR wasn't TV.

I’d say in terms of this series BotB and Hardhome are the Gold standard for GOT battles. And yeah, the intense darkness made this latest episode hard to see but that can be remedied with turning your TV’s brightness setting up, which most home TV sets would have the setting turned down.

Last edited:

Did you watch The Manageress in the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back