The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, the music of my generation was the 80’s and 90’s not the 60’s, and the potency of it, particularly the 90’s was much less so. But yeah there is a bit of truth in what you say. I guess your time for absorbing and being shaped by the world around you was the early to mid 00’s? So what influences from that era do you now see as the golden standard?

There's a lot of cinema and music that I enjoy listening to from that era moreso than the eras that came before it, because that era is what I associate with my childhood.

I was also exposed to a lot of older music as a child which also means I have an association with that as a child though. My point isn't an argument of which is better, more that our context shapes our perceptions.

Sounds like a well planned trip, enjoy.

Alcatraz is always a highlight, makes me want to see The Rock again. Great movie.

Perfect actor to deliver that line

There's a lot of cinema and music that I enjoy listening to from that era moreso than the eras that came before it, because that era is what I associate with my childhood.

I was also exposed to a lot of older music as a child which also means I have an association with that as a child though. My point isn't an argument of which is better, more that our context shapes our perceptions.

Your point is valid and one I agree with but it also does not acknowledge the role of critics and historians (or anyone else for that matter) play when assessing art or anything else. You can judge art, culture or whatever objectively and accurately even if you didn’t exist in that timeframe or exposed to it in childhood as I’m sure you know. Like you I may still have love for some pretty light entertainment that resonated with me in my youth, but I’m able to make that distinction and also now look at things that weren’t part of my formulative years and appreciate its quality even if I don’t have the full context.

Your point is valid and one I agree with but it also does not acknowledge the role of critics and historians (or anyone else for that matter) play when assessing art or anything else. You can judge art, culture or whatever objectively and accurately even if you didn’t exist in that timeframe or exposed to it in childhood as I’m sure you know. Like you I may still have love for some pretty light entertainment that resonated with me in my youth, but I’m able to make that distinction and also now look at things that weren’t part of my formulative years and appreciate its quality even if I don’t have the full context.

A lot of critics would suggest that this era of television is better than any other.

A lot of critics would suggest that this era of television is better than any other.
Not sure about that at all, free-to-air TV (which let’s face it still most people watch) is dreadful. Entertainment consists of wall-to-wall reality and talent shows. Clsssic TV programmes aren’t being made in the U.K. anymore. What was the last classic TV show that came out of the U.K. or Australia? Netflix may be different, but even a lot of those shows are starting to flog a dead horse

Not sure about that at all, free-to-air TV (which let’s face it still most people watch) is dreadful. Entertainment consists of wall-to-wall reality and talent shows. Clsssic TV programmes aren’t being made in the U.K. anymore. What was the last classic TV show that came out of the U.K. or Australia? Netflix may be different, but even a lot of those shows are starting to flog a dead horse

Never mind mate.

He’s not referring to FTA. Some of the greatest shows of all time have been made within the last 20 years hence it being considered the golden age of television. Sopranos, breaking bad, Game of Thrones, The Wire etc have all been created in that period.

Almost all elements have been improved on due to many factors such as increased budgets and better technology just to name a couple. Acting across the board is generally better meaning that even the supporting characters are much better at what they do.

He’s not referring to FTA. Some of the greatest shows of all time have been made within the last 20 years hence it being considered the golden age of television. Sopranos, breaking bad, Game of Thrones, The Wire etc have all been created in that period.

Almost all elements have been improved on due to many factors such as increased budgets and better technology just to name a couple. Acting across the board is generally better meaning that even the supporting characters are much better at what they do.

Yeah, but Home and Away is still s**t.

I don’t know if I agree with all that. Not sure about acting being better now than ever before, unless you’re comparing the acting in something like the Sopranos to that of a soap actor from the likes of Home and Away?

These big TV series' have always existed. Just back in the day everyone got to watch them as there were far less channels and nothing like Netflix for the select few, therefore having a bigger impact culturally which is what we are talking about here. It can’t be denied that television, certainly in its current state, is a dying medium. The days when television dominated the families evening habits and next days conversations are long gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if I agree with all that. Not sure about acting being better now than ever before, unless you’re comparing the acting in something like the Sopranos to that of a soap actor from the likes of Home and Away?

These big TV series' have always existed. Just back in the day everyone got to watch them as there were far less channels and nothing like Netflix for the select few, therefore having a bigger impact culturally which is what we are talking about here. It can’t be denied that television, certainly in its current state, is a dying medium. The days when television dominated the families evening habits and next days conversations are long gone

Drama wise, it’s far better now. You could argue that there were better comedies however (Seinfeld, Cheers etc).

Acting wise, not saying someone like Humphrey Bogart wasn’t better but overall, from the biggest stars to the background performers, it’s improved far more.

Drama wise, it’s far better now. You could argue that there were better comedies however (Seinfeld, Cheers etc).

Acting wise, not saying someone like Humphrey Bogart wasn’t better but overall, from the biggest stars to the background performers, it’s improved far more.
You’re joking aren’t you? Very few actors today are classically trained or have come up through the theatre, which is acknowledged as producing the best acting ability. Most actors today play pretty much the same role (there are a few exceptions) while back in the day real character actors were a dime a dozen. Look at Laurence Olivier. He could play the part of a psychotic ex Nazi (Marathon Man) and a year or two later play the role of a Jewish Nazi hunter (Boys from Brazil). There were many like him. Can’t think of many actors these days who have that range of ability.

As for drama being better, I don’t think you can say that either. Some absolutely astounding TV mini series from yesterday - Roots, The Thorn Birds, The Winds of War, there were a ton of them, and they were all on free-to-air

This is why I can't be stuffed having this conversation with you WR, it's one narrative when it suits your argument, and another when the first narrative doesn't suit a different situation.

Critics and reviewers objectively call music today trash therefore music in the 60s was better.

Critics and reviewers objectively call television today the pinnacle and golden age, yeah nah that doesn't count.

You’re joking aren’t you? Very few actors today are classically trained or have come up through the theatre, which is acknowledged as producing the best acting ability. Most actors today play pretty much the same role (there are a few exceptions) while back in the day real character actors were a dime a dozen. Look at Laurence Olivier. He could play the part of a psychotic ex Nazi (Marathon Man) and a year or two later play the role of a Jewish Nazi hunter (Boys from Brazil). There were many like him. Can’t think of many actors these days who have that range of ability.

As for drama being better, I don’t think you can say that either. Some absolutely astounding TV mini series from yesterday - Roots, The Thorn Birds, The Winds of War, there were a ton of them, and they were all on free-to-air
Didn’t you say previously that you hardly watch any television shows so are you really an authority on whether that’s true or not?
There’s a bigger pool of actors to pick from now because of the golden age of television. There are far more roles available now, allowing better actors to even pick up smaller parts in television and film, this increasing the overall quality of acting.

When is that Loons and where?

Big weekend for me.

Wedding is Saturday and we fly out on our honeymoon Sunday. New chapter in life, not much will essentially change, but can't wait.

Land in San Fran, then Vegas, Chicago, Niagara, Boston, NYC for 3.5 weeks

Going to be amazing.
Enjoy, can vouch for San Fran, Alcatraz in particular was amazing, definite highlight there
Everyone goes on the top deck of the ferry on the way over.

Everyone goes on the inside on the way back ;)
semi-related but one of the coldest experiences of my life would be being on the top of a double-decker bus going over the Golden Gate Bridge. * that was cold.

Had the great man Cruffy’s wedding last night. Ripping day and night even included a cameo on the mic by the groom to Dancing in the Dark.

Thought I’d be feeling rough today but think I’ve found my go to drinks to avoid hangovers. Going between scotch on the rocks and Cricketers Arms Pale and I’m good as gold the next day.

Had the great man Cruffy’s wedding last night. Ripping day and night even included a cameo on the mic by the groom to Dancing in the Dark.

Thought I’d be feeling rough today but think I’ve found my go to drinks to avoid hangovers. Going between scotch on the rocks and Cricketers Arms Pale and I’m good as gold the next day.

Forgot about the wedding. Thought it was quiet in here.

Enjoy, can vouch for San Fran, Alcatraz in particular was amazing, definite highlight there

semi-related but one of the coldest experiences of my life would be being on the top of a double-decker bus going over the Golden Gate Bridge. **** that was cold.

Walking on the Golden Gate Bridge in Feb this year, the fog enshrouding the top third of the bridge supports, and the mountain tops of Muir Woods...THAT was chilly ;)

Scotch is what you drink to avoid hangovers? Jesus.

Two Beroccas, two hydralites and three litres of water before bed after a night on the piss. You’ll wake up feeling pretty good regardless of what you drink on the night.

Scotch is what you drink to avoid hangovers? Jesus.

Two Beroccas, two hydralites and three litres of water before bed after a night on the piss. You’ll wake up feeling pretty good regardless of what you drink on the night.
Yeah scotch with no mixer and I’m good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back