Status
Not open for further replies.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn’t you say previously that you hardly watch any television shows so are you really an authority on whether that’s true or not?
There’s a bigger pool of actors to pick from now because of the golden age of television. There are far more roles available now, allowing better actors to even pick up smaller parts in television and film, this increasing the overall quality of acting.
Lol “the golden age of television”. You say it as though that’s a thing. I think the only person I’ve ever heard use it is SM. More established actors are using the TV medium than before because of the cash available. That’s not indicative of an improved acting pool. Who are the great actors today who are under 40? No chance do we have a top tier of talent better than generations past. I can’t think of any young Oscar winners of recent years who are going to be spoken about in years to come.

I’m sorry but when you are dressed up in a super-heroes costume it’s hard to sit their and think, wow this guy can act

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It absolutely is a golden age of television and hearing that it's not from someone who admits they don't watch any of it isn't going to sway that opinion.
And you started watching TV when? What would you know about television between the 60’s and 90’s?

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Had the great man Cruffy’s wedding last night. Ripping day and night even included a cameo on the mic by the groom to Dancing in the Dark.

Thought I’d be feeling rough today but think I’ve found my go to drinks to avoid hangovers. Going between scotch on the rocks and Cricketers Arms Pale and I’m good as gold the next day.
It couldn't have been better.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Enjoy, can vouch for San Fran, Alcatraz in particular was amazing, definite highlight there

semi-related but one of the coldest experiences of my life would be being on the top of a double-decker bus going over the Golden Gate Bridge. **** that was cold.
Only Sunday night here - Alcatraz Tuesday I think.

Muir Woods and Sausilito tomorrow.

And you started watching TV when? What would you know about television between the 60’s and 90’s?
I've seen plenty of series from before I was born.

However the main classics that come to mind from before my birth are comedies. There's very few dramas that come to mind when I think about what constitutes classic tv.

Now however, great drama is everywhere. As well as excellent comedy.

However the main classics that come to mind from before my birth are comedies. There's very few dramas that come to mind when I think about what constitutes classic tv.

Yeah but what do you know? You just watch the stuff.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Aye that’s fair enough. I don’t feel that drama pieces from way back when get repeated so it’s unlikely anyone would see them who didn’t at the time.

No doubt there’s some great drama currently out there, won’t deny that. My only gripe was that because hardly any of it is on FTA (and remember this conversation started about the effect of TV on popular culture) then the potency is diminished by not having vasts amount of people watching. That’s why a moniker like the “Golden Age of TV” is best suited to a time when a much higher proportion of a population planned their evenings around a TV or particular shows. Because of all the different home entertainment streams out there now, television has lost its potency - even considering, as you and others suggest, content in some areas has improved.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
TV, for me, isn’t very enjoyable - a waste of time. Same goes for movies.

If it were up to me, I wouldn’t have a television in my residence. Only use it to watch the news, and footy.

I’ve only ever enjoyed two TV series’, being Archer & Peep Show.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
TV, for me, isn’t very enjoyable - a waste of time. Same goes for movies.

If it were up to me, I wouldn’t have a television in my residence. Only use it to watch the news, and footy.

I’ve only ever enjoyed two TV series’, being Archer & Peep Show.
That’s not uncommon. People are beginning to ditch their TV’s. Personally I hardly watch any now other than sport

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Just watched Captain Marvel. Loved it.

Nice to see a strong female lead thats not over sexualised, romanticised or rescued by a man and kicked arse(and wearing a NIN tee, oh yeah). Being set in the 90s was a winner too.

Looking forward to the next Avengers(and Hell Boy next week).

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just watched Captain Marvel. Loved it.

Nice to see a strong female lead thats not over sexualised, romanticised or rescued by a man and kicked arse(and wearing a NIN tee, oh yeah). Being set in the 90s was a winner too.

Looking forward to the next Avengers(and Hell Boy next week).
Was Captain Marvel always female?

Aye that’s fair enough. I don’t feel that drama pieces from way back when get repeated so it’s unlikely anyone would see them who didn’t at the time.

No doubt there’s some great drama currently out there, won’t deny that. My only gripe was that because hardly any of it is on FTA (and remember this conversation started about the effect of TV on popular culture) then the potency is diminished by not having vasts amount of people watching. That’s why a moniker like the “Golden Age of TV” is best suited to a time when a much higher proportion of a population planned their evenings around a TV or particular shows. Because of all the different home entertainment streams out there now, television has lost its potency - even considering, as you and others suggest, content in some areas has improved.
No one watches TV shows on TV anymore grandpa. Everyone has a streaming service or downloads said steaming service shows illegally. Your continued straw manning of this conversation is astounding.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I’ve watched it over and over and over. Never gets old. Do you have a favourite episode?
Probably the ep on the canals where Jemery kills, then burns and then eats the pet dog Mummy. I lose it everytime.

But to many to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back