The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was your favourite thing about NYC or the US in general?
Where to begin?

Each city had its own charms, and its own pros and cons.

San Fran was pretty funky and cool, and it was nice to start in California with some nice weather. Super expensive though to the point where it's a joke. But a cool city for the most part. A lot of homeless people though and quite dirty.

Las Vegas is like an adult Disneyland. Everybody is happy/drunk/partying/having a good time and enjoying themselves. It's very tacky though and I wouldn't go back. I'm not a big partier, or gambler. The main reason we went was to see the Grand Canyon, which was absolutely spectacular. The enormity of it is tremendous and hard to grasp until you're actually there. Was brilliant to see.

Chicago took both Mrs Cruyff and I by surprise. A great city in which we'd both go back to. It was clean, visually stunning and we had a great time there. It's like a mini New York. The architecture there is fantastic, so many old buildings which we don't have at home.

Boston was also fantastic. Visually stunning. We had a great time there too. Did an Aqua Duck tour which is a bus tour around the city, but also can go on water, was a lot of fun.

And New York, well, it's New York. We did the 9/11 Memorial as we didn't get there last time, and it was one of the best things we did while we were over there. It's incredibly moving and very well done. We were there for about three hours. Very detailed. I forgot how catastrophic it was until we went through there.

RIP Peter Mayhew!

He portrayed one of the most memorable characters in film history.

Where to begin?

And New York, well, it's New York. We did the 9/11 Memorial as we didn't get there last time, and it was one of the best things we did while we were over there. It's incredibly moving and very well done. We were there for about three hours. Very detailed. I forgot how catastrophic it was until we went through there.

Yeah, I remember how eerie it was when I went last year. You don’t realise just how massive the two waterfalls (?) are until you’re there. We saw all the different flowers above the names. The white rose over a name signifies it would have been that persons birthday on that day. So heartbreaking. :(
Glad to hear the rest of your trip was a ton of fun. I hope both of you go back in the future.

BTW, you asked me last week about Hitman 2. Just saw today that if you’re on the PS4, the game is on a pretty big sale for $30.95 on the PS Store (until the 9th). I’d recommend playing Hitman 1 (2016) first but a pretty decent price for HM2 in the meantime.

Last edited:

Where to begin?

Each city had its own charms, and its own pros and cons.

San Fran was pretty funky and cool, and it was nice to start in California with some nice weather. Super expensive though to the point where it's a joke. But a cool city for the most part. A lot of homeless people though and quite dirty.

Las Vegas is like an adult Disneyland. Everybody is happy/drunk/partying/having a good time and enjoying themselves. It's very tacky though and I wouldn't go back. I'm not a big partier, or gambler. The main reason we went was to see the Grand Canyon, which was absolutely spectacular. The enormity of it is tremendous and hard to grasp until you're actually there. Was brilliant to see.

Chicago took both Mrs Cruyff and I by surprise. A great city in which we'd both go back to. It was clean, visually stunning and we had a great time there. It's like a mini New York. The architecture there is fantastic, so many old buildings which we don't have at home.

Boston was also fantastic. Visually stunning. We had a great time there too. Did an Aqua Duck tour which is a bus tour around the city, but also can go on water, was a lot of fun.

I can imagine the 9/11 memorial being an exceptional moving experience. Similar to Auschwitz, you must feel the heavy weight of tragic history as you walk around. Perhaps even more poignantly as it’s a day we all witnessed.

Sounds like a fantastic honeymoon though Cruyffy :thumbsu:

I can imagine the 9/11 memorial being an exceptional moving experience. Similar to Auschwitz, you must feel the heavy weight of tragic history as you walk around. Perhaps even more poignantly as it’s a day we all witnessed.

Dunno if it’s still the same now, but back in 2017 when I was there, I was overwhelmed by the silence.

Dunno if it’s still the same now, but back in 2017 when I was there, I was overwhelmed by the silence.
You’d hope there’d be a respectful silence all the time, but I doubt that’s the case. I expect you get a lot of the selfie brigade doing inappropriate stuff

RIP Peter Mayhew!

He portrayed one of the most memorable characters in film history.

Yeah, I remember how eerie it was when I went last year. You don’t realise just how massive the two waterfalls (?) are until you’re there. We saw all the different flowers above the names. The white rose over a name signifies it would have been that persons birthday on that day. So heartbreaking. :(
Glad to hear the rest of your trip was a ton of fun. I hope both of you go back in the future.

BTW, you asked me last week about Hitman 2. Just saw today that if you’re on the PS4, the game is on a pretty big sale for $30.95 on the PS Store (until the 9th). I’d recommend playing Hitman 1 (2016) first but a pretty decent price for HM2 in the meantime.
Yeah Niagara Falls is nuts. Enormous volumes of water - hard to comprehend how much is there until you actually see it for yourself.

Looked on FB buy/swap/swell and I messaged the bloke, turns out I used to work with him lol, he's gonna sell it to me fore $30, Hitman 1, that is.

Then I'll pick up Hitman 2.

It's very intense. Very moving too absorbing everything and virtually reliving what the victims did. You walk out feeling emotionally wrecked. Definitely a sombre experience. My mum's friend died in the attacks. She moved there a month previously for work, and was on the 102nd floor something. Only 31 too I think.

Yeah was great, we barely relaxed. Treated it more like a holiday than a honeymoon. Were buggerred come the evening due to how much we saw etc during the day.

Yeah, definitely. Though I am not sure why people take selfies outside the memorial. Not really appropriate in any way. Not a place you really should smile at either IMO.

You’d hope there’d be a respectful silence all the time, but I doubt that’s the case. I expect you get a lot of the selfie brigade doing inappropriate stuff
Yep. Definitely not the place for it. It's weird and disrespectful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got our wedding photos. So rapt with them!
Congratulations on this exciting time in your life, mate! Stoked that you enjoyed your honeymoon as well.

My sister got married very recently, also. So very emotional, it was. Bawled my eyes out as she walked down the aisle. The reception was fantastic - have had The Four Seasons' 'December, 1963' stuck in my head ever since! :D

Congratulations on this exciting time in your life, mate! Stoked that you enjoyed your honeymoon as well.

My sister got married very recently, also. So very emotional, it was. Bawled my eyes out as she walked down the aisle. The reception was fantastic - have had The Four Seasons' 'December, 1963' stuck in my head ever since! :D
Thank you mate. The wedding was just something else. It was incredible. Just perfect. Honeymoon fantastic too.

Oh, that's nice. Weddings are great. So much fun.

Got our wedding photos. So rapt with them!

Glad you got yours quickly. My wedding photograher was a sly bitch who wasnt paying her publisher to print our album. She also got into an argument with the photographer on the day who had ownership of the photos. We had to pay again and recover money off her in VCAT. This is quite common in the wedding photography industry so glad your experience was good.

Last edited:
Glad you got yours quickly. My wedding photograher was a sly bitch who wasnt paying her publisher to print our album. She also got into an argument with the photographer on the day who had ownership of the photos. We had to pay again and recover money off her in VCAT. This is quite common in the wedding photovraphy industry so glad your experience was good.
Thanks.

Wow, that's terrible. Yeah we were surprised how quick they came back. Actually got them back last Friday, so only 4 weeks, well less than really.

Glad you got yours quickly. My wedding photograher was a sly bitch who wasnt paying her publisher to print our album. She also got into an argument with the photographer on the day who had ownership of the photos. We had to pay again and recover money off her in VCAT. This is quite common in the wedding photovraphy industry so glad your experience was good.
Mine took ages because there was an issue they had to correct and didn't want to stress us by telling us.. But by not telling us and just not responding we got more stressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back