The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you that there are pockets where political correctness has gone too far, but this isn’t one of them. You mention violent crime in London, have you looked into the history of discrimination and violent crime against the gay community?

I really don’t see the 2 scenarios I’ve proposed to be too dissimilar. Either both are inciting terrorism, or neither are.

When influential people like Israel Folau exercise freedom of speech for this purpose, it creates an environment where some of their more impressionable or extreme followers will feel empowered to act out against those groups. Some groups are particularly vulnerable to this, the gay community being one of them.

Conversely - if we look at inner city, upper-middle class, straight, white men - people like me - not so much. Israel can say what he likes about me, in this country it’s extremely unlikely it’s going impact on my life in any meaningful way. “Sticks and stones” as you said.

This is what I mean when I say for me, there are boundaries to freedom of expression which are situation and group dependent. There needs to be some consideration of the end product of those words, which in this instance is very much based in reality and not ‘political correctness gone mad’.
Folau hasn’t been charged by the Police for his words so obviously by law what he said isn’t tantamount to inciting terrorism towards gays. However his employer deemed it appropriate to have in place a contract that limited his right to freedom of expression or speech. That is probably what he wants the funds to take legal action against. I’d be interested to see if he could win a legal battle in this instance, as more and more employers are assuming complete control on what we can and can’t say. For me it’s now gone too far, it’s starting to feel like we are all living our lives in a straight-jacket.

If a Muslim cleric said the same thing about Christians - as I’ve already said I don’t believe the police would become involved either, but anti-terrorism would then have him on their radars and their intelligence agencies would determine if the cleric was a real threat or not.

However his employer deemed it appropriate to have in place a contract that limited his right to freedom of expression or speech. That is probably what he wants the funds to take legal action against. I’d be interested to see if he could win a legal battle in this instance, as more and more employers are assuming complete control on what we can and can’t say. For me it’s now gone too far, it’s starting to feel like we are all living our lives in a straight-jacket.

Have you considered the alternative from a commercial perspective?

Let’s say Rugby Australia had taken no action against Folau for this 2nd breach of contract, I suspect we would’ve seen Alan Joyce, gay man and CEO of Qantas, Wallabies sponsor of 30 years (chief sponsor since 2004) exercising his right to freedom of not pumping tens of millions of dollars into Rugby Australia’s coffers, + possible loss of other sponsors who felt their brand’s reputation was being damaged by being associated with Folau and Rugby Australia.

Doesn’t Rugby Australia (or any employer for that matter) have a right to freedom of acting within the bounds of the law and their contractual framework to protect their commercial interests?

Mr Clyne said the prospect of a drawn out court battle was a "painful" one for Australian rugby, but the alternative was worse if RA had not acted against Folau's Instagram post in April warning homosexuals, among other groups, were destined for hell.

“[The alternative] would be that we'd have no sponsors at all because no sponsor has indicated they would be willing to be associated with social media posts of that sort and that includes government, because we've also heard from them," he said.

"We would also potentially be in litigation with employees who are gay and who would say we're not providing a work place that is safe or respectful."

RA receives federal and state funding across different levels of the game.

Last edited:

The censorship by the big tech companies of conservative thought is probably criminal. Can’t believe the Trump admin isn’t already on to it.

Fwoy
Its like when you get banned from Off Topic forum. Snowflakes need everyone to agree with them as they are very insecure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t fault the number 1, good choose. But Black Panther ahead of Infinity War and Ragnarok? Pfft.
Agreed. Winter Soldier, Civil War, Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame are my top 5 (not in that order).

I’m currently In the process of watching all the Marvel movies. Upto the first Thor, actually really enjoyed Iron Man 1&2, but the Incredible Hulk was a very average movie, first and last time I think I’ll watch that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back